U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:39 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,011,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Interesting that posting just a set of facts about the prevalence of alcoholism in the Keys, and related medical and other problems that come with it, brought out a slew of comments either sanctimoniously condemning those people on a moral level, or vigorously defending alcoholism...

I would find either to be a bit of a stretch as a response to this simple article. People drink, and they do it all over the world. My point was simply to say it's not as romantic as people make it, and the idea of moving to a set of tropical islands where that's all you do actually has a bunch of different consequences that are pretty horrible to live with in reality. It's not a Corona commercial at all. It's more often vicious fights that get out of hand at home, and then a lot of time spent in the hospital trying to cope with what decades of consuming high levels of poison do to your organs. Alcohol is poison to the body, it's not nourishment, and the organs have a very hard time keeping up and trying to flush it out when you flood them with it.

It's not a moral issue of one type of person being better than another. Everybody has pain, and everybody tries to cope with it in different ways. But the pattern of coming down to the Keys with the belief that sitting on Smathers with a beer or a tequila (illegal anyway) is going to melt all those troubles away doesn't work. And unfortunately, when a lot of Keys residents realize that it didn't work, they drink more to numb the pain and memories that keep haunting them (as people are wont to do everywhere), and then pretty soon for a lot of them it becomes alcoholism - if it wasn't already before they moved down.

Many such people, if they're new to the area, do eventually drink themselves out of house and home. But people with more money, or longer-term, more established connections, can stay for years and just barely get by with one job to another that they mess up. There are a lot of high-level officials and well-known business people here who have the same troubles with both alcohol and other drugs, and people continually make excuses for them, or help them stay out of the public eye, and enable them to keep hurting themselves and others. They make the papers, face the public shame, sometimes even get officially fired due to the public pressure, and then quietly get offered another position that is lower-profile because they are well known and people feel bad for them.

Alcoholics are not bad people. But they make bad decisions. So people see the good in them over and over again, and help them to keep their lives just barely together, while simultaneously helping them to continue drinking.

This story is the same all over the world, the Keys are not unique. However, I would like to point out to people that alcoholism is every bit as ugly in the Keys, as it is in a location that snows in March. What it does to one's body, one's family, one's work, and one's life, is no prettier under the palm trees than it is under an oak. Just like meth use in Hawaii is no prettier than it is in Detroit. There is a myth that excessive drug use in a hot tropical climate is somehow sexy, fun, and relaxing. But actually, it's the same drug, on the same body cells, just in a different geographical location. And the irony is, despite the Keys being so known for rampant alcoholism, we have far fewer good services for recovery and medical care than many of the places people leave behind to come here. So the problem gets worse after moving here, but the solutions become far fewer.

Something to think about.

Paradise isn't all perfect, and it's not all happy.
And still no word on obesity which causes far more health problems nationwide and a far greater strain on the healthcare system ?
If you're going to continue moralising at least go the whole hog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 12:17 PM

11,383 posts, read 7,772,225 times
Quote:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention defines binge drinking as consuming four drinks or more for women and five drinks or more for men on one occasion at least once in the past month. The study did not include tourists or underage drinkers, only local residents.

What a dumb definition. If I go out once a week for 5 hours to a bar to hang out with friends and have 4 drinks that night they would classify me as a binge drinker.

Or if you go to a friends BBQ or pool party and have 4 beers that afternoon you would qualify too.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:58 PM

772 posts, read 1,631,700 times
The florida keys rock!!! According to that definition of binge drinking i think more like 80% of the Florida keys qualifies as binge drinkers.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:00 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,911,740 times
This thread is funny lol.. I love Florida CD people..yall crack me up.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:27 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,790,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
The florida keys rock!!! According to that definition of binge drinking i think more like 80% of the Florida keys qualifies as binge drinkers.
According to that definition I'd say about 90% of the people I know all over the country are binge drinkers. I'd guess about 60% would be considered raging alcoholics if 5 drinks on one occasion in a month is considered binge drinking. I actually don't know too many teetotalers.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:31 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,911,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
According to that definition I'd say about 90% of the people I know all over the country are binge drinkers. I'd guess about 60% would be considered raging alcoholics if 5 drinks on one occasion in a month is considered binge drinking. I actually don't know too many teetotalers.
Florida people are so funny, you guys are the best, Florida City Data people crack me up. This thread is pretty funny especially if you ever been to the Keys before.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:39 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,296,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
And still no word on obesity which causes far more health problems nationwide and a far greater strain on the healthcare system ?
If you're going to continue moralising at least go the whole hog.
Enough already about the eating! Every post of yours condemns eating. I'm starting to wonder if you're some bony little anorexic man who couldn't bench press 200 lbs.

You mentioned that the keys attract an artsy and bohemian type. But marinating one's liver and smoking isn't bohemian, but just hard living is all. I can just visualize these Florida Keys types too. Malnourished, leathery skin, and a voice that sounds like a frog from years of cigarettes.

Last edited by New Horizons; 04-30-2015 at 04:47 PM..

Old 05-01-2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
We agree on something again !
Alcohol has lubricated the wheels of my life since I was old enough to order a beer ( 18 where I come from ) .
I met my wife in a bar, celebrated children, job promotion, anniversaries,deaths,retirement and just plain having a good time with friends and strangers using alcohol.
By any medical definition I should have serious health problems but I don't and none of my boozing friends do.
In fact there are any number of medical studies which show alcohol,particularly red wine,drunk on a regular basis is good for you.
And even if it wasn't it makes the teetotal,moralising bores just about tolerable.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:41 AM

28 posts, read 44,378 times
Quote:
Me reading your terrible post:

Old 05-01-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Enough already about the eating! Every post of yours condemns eating. I'm starting to wonder if you're some bony little anorexic man who couldn't bench press 200 lbs.

You mentioned that the keys attract an artsy and bohemian type. But marinating one's liver and smoking isn't bohemian, but just hard living is all. I can just visualize these Florida Keys types too. Malnourished, leathery skin, and a voice that sounds like a frog from years of cigarettes.
Talk about generalisation.
The Keys attracts all sorts,not just winos.Why do you think property there is so expensive ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or