U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 06:56 PM

242 posts, read 264,256 times

Advertisements

Some casual drinking in the Keys vs America's obesity epidemic?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 12:50 AM

3,704 posts, read 2,018,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
To clarify, I added this thread as part of the large number of threads I am adding about the Keys, both to inform, and also to help us reach the minimum needed to create a Keys subforum. Similar campaigns have been successful in the past on C-D. I wrote the thread late at night, and now see that the title seems a bit harsh. I think that has attracted excessive trolls to the thread to yell at each other, rather than thoughtful posts to discuss the issue of alcoholism - which is a serious recognized public health threat in Monroe County. I certainly did not post it with the thought in mind of creating an open forum to morally bash alcoholics, or to argue with one another about totally unrelated topics.

I have personally be touched by alcoholism in my family, as well as a few friends, and have seen the devastation it brings to people's lives. It's not glamorous at all, and having known a number of alcoholics here in the Keys, I can tell you it is not glamorous here either.

Some of my work involves families here who have reached a breaking point and had their kids taken away. Without going into any details, because the Keys are small town life and I wouldn't want to compromise anyone's confidentiality, I have been working with people locally who have moved here as drifters, and also who live here as long-time residents, whose lives have been totally overtaken by alcohol, and also some by additional drugs. Their families have been ripped apart by domestic violence, arrests, and their children taken from them and thrown into foster care. The Keys dream has lead many people to travel down here with their small children, to live a life of drinking all day while they live in tents, in RVs, in boats, and in all manner of other illegal and unsafe below-flood residences. It's not romantic at all when the husband is in jail, the wife is in a domestic violence shelter, and the kids are all split up among different foster homes, possibly never to be returned.
That story is unfortunately so common here is does not identify any one, or even 3 or 4, families in the Keys. There are many stories like that.

I have good reason to point out the ills of alcoholism, and of vagrancy, in the Keys. I am speaking from the personal knowledge of the stories of a lot of people. No amount of outside help is going to repair the long-time damage this all has done to these families. You can't ever get back years you missed out on with your kids. It seems many people here are unfamiliar with the definition of alcohol abuse. I encourage everyone to do some reading, perhaps to check out the AA website, and to just reconsider whether alcohol may be playing a damaging role in their lives. If you have children, you don't really have any choice, you will not be the one to decide whether you are an alcoholic or not - a court and a series of experts on addiction and child welfare will. It doesn't matter how angry that makes you, that is how it will go. I am afraid for a friend of mine who is facing this right now, spiraling down quickly into alcoholism, and getting close to reaching a point where she is risking her custody of the child she loves so dearly. It is no joke, and children deserve much better than a parent who is checked out, and/or violent due to being under the influence.

The fact of drunk driving here in the Keys is another issue that comes up in the news every week. Drivers, pedestrians, bikers, boaters, divers... all are getting killed by the combination of alcohol and operating heavy machinery or participating in sports that require a ton of concentration to be safe. Alcohol abuse is very likely the #1 public safety issue in Monroe County, and has been for a long time. Statistics bear this out again and again, not just in fatalities, but in physical accidents, domestic violence, and in violence against local law enforcement. The problems are rampant. Hospitals and local doctor's offices see the aftermath again and again here.

I realize no one on this thread wants to have a civil, thoughtful discussion on alcoholism in the Keys. But do know that the problem is very real, and is affecting many families on every single Key in this county. And the resources we have to help families out of the mess they are in are very, very limited.
The point people are making is that alcoholism is not confined to the Keys.It happens in every society in every country.
And there is a world of difference between having a great time drinking and alcoholism.
The picture you paint of the Keys is not one that many of us recognise but it certainly fits in with your hectoring,moralising agenda.
Addressing this country's obesity crisis would be a more worthwhile campaign.Far more people die from it than a few drunks in the Keys.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:52 AM

9,751 posts, read 7,033,290 times
I agree this thread ought to be moved off the Florida forum, because while alcoholism is a devastating problem to those affected by it, it is most certainly not limited to the Keys.

Maybe the mental health forum?

Old 05-03-2015, 12:10 PM

18,669 posts, read 23,241,522 times
Forgetting the part about where "old alcoholics go to die", I have been to Key West twice in my life and I loved it. I agree that it has an arty Bohemian vibe - which really attracts me.

Question - I'd love to buy a retro vintage looking trailer by the sea in one of the keys and keep my 1920s house for the other three seasons.

How possible is this? What key should I look at? Where would I be most likely to find a Winter getaway like this?

Old 05-03-2015, 07:49 PM

I think Blowfish is bored ?

Old 05-03-2015, 10:10 PM

139 posts, read 509,898 times
I like to drink. I have for 35 years. I have been gainfully employed for 35 years. I am getting ready to retire with a great pension, no debt, many assets. I am going to check the keys out. My tenants will pay my expenses. I knock off a six pack to 12 pack a night. I am (hard for me to brag, but seems necessary) an absolute sweetheart, no problems with law authorities, and open my eyes at sunrise looking to contribute to the world. Now that I will be retired I will treat myself to other things beside working for a living. Perhaps some elderly people who need some repair to their homes, or need someone to make them smile or treat them to breakfast. Maybe a pickup basketball game with me treating a lunchtime barbeque. I will certainly not be a liability on the keys or any sweet starfish. Peace,....later,.....

Old 05-03-2015, 10:40 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,792,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnoteddie View Post
I like to drink. I have for 35 years. I have been gainfully employed for 35 years. I am getting ready to retire with a great pension, no debt, many assets. I am going to check the keys out. My tenants will pay my expenses. I knock off a six pack to 12 pack a night. I am (hard for me to brag, but seems necessary) an absolute sweetheart, no problems with law authorities, and open my eyes at sunrise looking to contribute to the world. Now that I will be retired I will treat myself to other things beside working for a living. Perhaps some elderly people who need some repair to their homes, or need someone to make them smile or treat them to breakfast. Maybe a pickup basketball game with me treating a lunchtime barbeque. I will certainly not be a liability on the keys or any sweet starfish. Peace,....later,.....
Welcome to the functioning alcoholics club. Kidding.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Sounds awesome .... Please, why don't you move in with Blowfish Key and keep her company so she can focus on other more important causes like America's obesity epidemic Thanxxxxx

Old 05-04-2015, 03:03 AM

3,704 posts, read 2,018,371 times
Quote:
Respect.
I'm at that stage in life where my kids come to pick me up to go and hoist a few.
I taught them drinking at an early age - watered down wine with their meals in their teens and my boys used to take it it turns to see who got the best white moustache from my Guinness head - and to know when they'd had enough.
They're great kids with great jobs and a healthy love and respect for alcohol.
We have great barbecues too !

Old 05-04-2015, 08:11 AM

15,353 posts, read 17,612,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Alcohol also significantly increases the risk of skin cancer..
I haven't heard of this. Please show the source.

Everything I see about skin cancer risk is related to UV rays(sun or tanning beds) or exposure to chemicals on the skin or in some cases, prior scars/trauma to the skin and of course, genetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or