U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2015, 05:58 AM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,870,376 times
Reputation: 3080

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Ummm, no, it didn't.



America’s Oldest Cattle Ranch

Iconic Communities, On the Road, Traditions
America’s Oldest Cattle*Ranch - American Profile
By Alice Ross on December 31, 2000

Mention the oldest cattle ranch in the United States, and most of us mentally head west, the wrong direction. The distinction goes to a spread in a state seldom associated with cowboysNew Yorkin a town best known for its lighthouseMontauk
meh - that's the oldest ranch - cattle were brought to Florida by Ponce de Leon in 1521. Organized ranching began in 1565 in St Augustine. Check your facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2015, 06:51 AM
B4U
 
Location: the west side of "paradise"
3,612 posts, read 7,050,903 times
Reputation: 4423
Gatorade and Coppertone were created in Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,281,305 times
Reputation: 6010
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Gatorade and Coppertone were created in Florida
As was Gainesburger dog food,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 08:47 AM
 
4,997 posts, read 7,331,478 times
Reputation: 7998
pretty cool facts! Diggin it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 09:40 AM
 
15,397 posts, read 17,671,069 times
Reputation: 13534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
meh - that's the oldest ranch - cattle were brought to Florida by Ponce de Leon in 1521.
Exactly. In Florida, they used to let the cattle graze on unfenced land/open range. The cattle were smaller and were able to handle the heat and desert like conditions in the scrub. They were able to live and graze in the dense palmetto scrub.

http://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/ifascomm/2...as-open-range/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Cracker_cattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 10:17 AM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,870,376 times
Reputation: 3080
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Exactly. In Florida, they used to let the cattle graze on unfenced land/open range. The cattle were smaller and were able to handle the heat and desert like conditions in the scrub. They were able to live and graze in the dense palmetto scrub.

CRACKER: Extension, Beef Cattle, and the End of Florida

Florida Cracker cattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yup.

Hence the cracker horse, they are small too and tough and more adapted to the swamp-like conditions in Florida (toucher feet etc.)

There is a movie that is nice to watch about the whole ranching industry:
Florida Crackers (2010) - IMDb

Also, a book by Carlton Ward which has some amazing photographs ("Florida Cowboys"):
Carlton Ward Photography
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Sunny South Florida
6,205 posts, read 3,094,725 times
Reputation: 6992
One of those documentary series on the History Channel profiled a cattle ranch near Yeehaw Junction and referred to it as the (actual) largest cattle ranch in the US, even larger than anything in Texas or Oklahoma. I can't recall, however, if they were trying to say it was the largest at one time, or is in fact the largest currently. With a name like Yeehaw Junction, you'd assume cattle ranching was a big deal there.

The average depth of the huge Lake Okeechobee is only nine feet. And geologists estimate it is only about 5000 years old. Lake O is about half the size of the state of Rhode Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 03:45 PM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,870,376 times
Reputation: 3080
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
One of those documentary series on the History Channel profiled a cattle ranch near Yeehaw Junction and referred to it as the (actual) largest cattle ranch in the US, even larger than anything in Texas or Oklahoma. I can't recall, however, if they were trying to say it was the largest at one time, or is in fact the largest currently. With a name like Yeehaw Junction, you'd assume cattle ranching was a big deal there.

The average depth of the huge Lake Okeechobee is only nine feet. And geologists estimate it is only about 5000 years old. Lake O is about half the size of the state of Rhode Island.
You are probably referring to Deseret Ranches (Deseret Ranches Of Florida | Home, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deseret_Ranches) - it is the largest cow-calf ranch in USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 02:47 AM
 
7,002 posts, read 3,893,410 times
Reputation: 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
meh - that's the oldest ranch - cattle were brought to Florida by Ponce de Leon in 1521. Organized ranching began in 1565 in St Augustine. Check your facts
I guess I'm confused by your terminology. If cattle ranching started in Florida, didn't there need to be a ranch? Are you saying the cattle were raised on the open plains without any ranch facilities or do you believe the story about the one in Montauk is referring to the oldest existing cattle ranch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 06:23 AM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,870,376 times
Reputation: 3080
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I guess I'm confused by your terminology. If cattle ranching started in Florida, didn't there need to be a ranch? Are you saying the cattle were raised on the open plains without any ranch facilities or do you believe the story about the one in Montauk is referring to the oldest existing cattle ranch?
Cattle ranching started in Florida - cattle was allowed to roam free. I believe it has to do with the Spanish land division structure (or lack there of). I believe upon arrival Spanish organized their presence in towns and missions as opposed to the way Europeans arriving to America later divided the land into private properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top