Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 07:11 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,508 times

Advertisements

So what you're saying is there are people that will live in Hobo town just to have pride of ownership?

Hey, nothing wrong with that as long as they're aware of what they're getting into upfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 07:22 PM

185 posts, read 686,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Well it has to do with location, location, location! Its either in a rural location or in a bad part of the city. In Texas, nice houses in nice locations tend to cost $100k and up from what ive seen. You can get handyman specials for $50k easily, nothing wrong if you have the time and skills to do a lil' fixin'

Condos cost less because you save both on the land and they can cram many units in a small amount of space, saving on building costs because of common walls, ceilings and its all under one roof. $20k can get you about 700 square feet of condo, that is tiny.

Much of OH and WV are rural and the job market is almost nil. The crime is low to none but thats typical for a town of 1000, 2000, 3000. There isnt a whole lot to do unless you commute to a city. The houses can be 100 years old but they are built solid like a rock and many have vintage charm! Its great if you want a quiet laid back place away from the city traffic, pollution and crime.

http://homepics.realtor.com/image1/http/houston/listings/large/045/4583264_0.jpg (broken link)

http://homepics.realtor.com/image1/http/houston/listings/large/011/8418612_0.jpg (broken link)

http://homepics.realtor.com/image1/http/houston/listings/large/043/7226892_0.jpg (broken link)

http://homepics.realtor.com/image1/http/houston/listings/large/092/6955092_0.jpg (broken link)

Four examples of $20k condos(some with 2 bedrooms!) in Houston. I have never been there and dont know the area but I see no problems in the pictures. Might need a bit of TLC, if even that.
Now I have lived in Houston briefly.

For 20,000 I would check for bulletholes first. Of course a little paint and spackle would take care of that.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Of course Texas. Cost of living is very low there, even a poor person can at least afford a condo.
Seriously, Dear. I hope you have some advice from a trusted friend before you sign anything. There are lots of people out there that will take advantage of a trusting soul.

Good Luck

Old 11-12-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
For 20,000 I would check for bulletholes first. Of course a little paint and spackle would take care of that.
I'd want to see close up pictures of these properties to check for windows/door grills before I'd even think about visiting them in person.
Notice how all the pictures are taken at a distance where you wouldn't see the grills that would indicate a security risk/concern?

Old 11-12-2006, 07:34 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp19777 View Post
Basically things are not going good for me at all, im 29 2 kids, me and my gf broke up and im about to be homeless due to high rents in ny...... i make 15.61 at a cable company called cablevision and this is my working experience. my mom lives in sanford florida and i was thinking of moving there with her to try and startover and start a new life and get myself on my feet. but everyone says jobs and life in florida sucks and this is intimidating to me. can anyone give me advice considering im young single and trieng to start over. am i making a good or bad decision?
why not check out trying to get a job with verizon. check out the web site. they pay well and have great benefits.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
I'd want to see close up pictures of these properties to check for windows/door grills before I'd even think about visiting them in person.
Notice how all the pictures are taken at a distance where you wouldn't see the grills that would indicate a security risk/concern?
Well you do have to leave the house sometime. That would be my main concern.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:03 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
So what you're saying is there are people that will live in Hobo town just to have pride of ownership?

Hey, nothing wrong with that as long as they're aware of what they're getting into upfront.

They have to live somewhere! The mortgage on a $30k condo is much, much cheaper than rent anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Red View Post
Now I have lived in Houston briefly.

Is that for real and not an exaggeration? How bad was the area? How much repair did the condos need? Were there any half decent areas with $30k condos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Red View Post
Seriously, Dear. I hope you have some advice from a trusted friend before you sign anything. There are lots of people out there that will take advantage of a trusting soul.

Good Luck

always read the fine print before you sign

Quote:

Its for your safety. If there were no grills, I might put some on to make me feel safer. Breakins can happen anywhere.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:26 PM

Unlike FL where grills are considered decorative ornaments in a home, In TX if you drive through a neighbourhood with them, you better have your five senses on high alert and your head on a swivel. Those grills aren't to prevent breakins, they're to prevent HOME INVASIONS. Good luck living in that environment.

I think you need to research a little more, from what I've read from your other posts on the TX boards you seem to be the classic patsy waiting to be taken.

Oh, and what you're calling condos, in TX they're apartments. Condos here a a lot different from what you see/have in FL.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:38 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Unlike FL where grills are considered decorative ornaments in a home, In TX if you drive through a neighbourhood with them, you better have your five senses on high alert and your head on a swivel. Those grills aren't to prevent breakins, they're to prevent HOME INVASIONS. Good luck living in that environment.

I think you need to research a little more, from what I've read from your other posts on the TX boards you seem to be the classic patsy waiting to be taken.

Oh, and what you're calling condos, in TX they're apartments. Condos here a a lot different from what you see/have in FL.

We have lots of bad areas here in Florida and yet they still usually cost over $100k. Isnt a break-in considered a home invasion? Or maybe when you are away on vacation, some homeless or illegal immigrant invades your house and lives for free till you or the cops come then he runs away or ends up in jail while your place is trashed(will homeowner insurance cover this?) Ok good advice, but then what about the ones without the grills? Wont those then be vulnerable to break-ins? I would have to install grills anyway.

In your opinion, how much can one expect to spend on a 1/1 condo in a half decent neighboorhood? $30k? $35k? $40k? What about for a larger 2/2 condo? $50k? $60k? This is still cheaper than a bad neighboorhood here in south Florida! Ok so bad areas in south Florida cost $120k for a 2/2 condo, this in comparsion to bad areas in Texas where the costs are just $20k to $30k! Going by the math, If a good area costs double, we would be looking at $240k for a 2/2 vs. $40k to $60k! Incidentally, this does happen to be the price here! I checked out some nice 2/2 condos and they all cost over $200k in my neck of the woods! Bad areas can lose half the value, cost half as much!

south Florida

1/1 = $130k to $200k(good area/neighboorhood)
2/2 = $200k to $300k(good area/neighboorhood)
1/1 = $65k to $100k(bad area/neighboorhood)
2/2 = $100k to $150k(bad area/neighboorhood)

Texas(Houston for example)

1/1 = $30k to $50k(good area/neighboorhood)
2/2 = $40k to $80k(good area/neighboorhood)
1/1 = $15k to $25k(bad area/neighboorhood)
2/2 = $20k to $40k(bad area/neighboorhood)

I hope my math is right Bad areas can be half the price/value!

Last edited by Need_affordable_home; 11-12-2006 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: add more comparsions

Old 11-12-2006, 08:52 PM

Breakins are considered petty thievery crimes, I think, since they happen when occupants aren't around. On the other hand, home invasion is carried out regardless of risk! And we're not talking about juveniles out for a lark either, we're talking about a gang of heavily armed people that INTEND to do harm to the occupants.

In the Dallas/Houston areas I'd say 80K and above for a condo would be reasonable. More in Austin, a little less in San Antonio. Try and remember that for most people here, it makes no sense to pay 100K for a condo that is probably in a restrictive covenant neigbourhood when for 20-25K more you can have a house where you can do almost anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida