Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 10:44 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,047,487 times

Advertisements

77072 has less than extremely high crime.

$80k should get you a spacious 3/2 condo in a great area. Theres tons of 1/1 and 2/2 condos for $40k. They have to be considerabily better in everyway compared to those for $20k! I checked the $200k condos and many are high rise or upper class upscale condos in the best and most expensive neighboors for the rich! At $125k, you get a very nice luxury townhouse or condo. Even at $75k you get a nice condo. Most of them are 2 bedrooms and 1200-1500 square feet. Theres a few 1/1s, boy that is extremely expensive for a 1/1! More than triple the price of the cheap ones! Its like paying $300k instead of $100k here in south Florida! Of course those that are rich dont care, they want the best! but alot who arent swimming in money need something that fits their budget. If the cheapest 1/1 condos are $15k, then get one for $30k which is double the price! It should be twice as good, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 11:32 AM

806 posts, read 2,874,648 times
If the decision is being made in a vacuum, solely on the basis of $$$, then sure go ahead. At some point you'll have to factor in the negatives and realize that what maybe a great deal $$$ wise is a bad deal overall.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:57 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,047,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
If the decision is being made in a vacuum, solely on the basis of $$$, then sure go ahead. At some point you'll have to factor in the negatives and realize that what maybe a great deal $$$ wise is a bad deal overall.

I agree. There are other factors besides money, but to be honest, affordability is the main issue for most of us(unless your really rich) Those that have lots of money will buy the best and most expensive, those with some money will take the middle road and the poor ones will buy the cheapest.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:24 PM

7 posts, read 39,949 times
If you like hot weather, it's a great place to live. People are friendly, you'll meet new friends in no time. You can get some great rates on plane tickets so your kids can visit.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:38 PM

944 posts, read 3,835,479 times
jayp, I've been meaning to respond to you for a few days now. This won't be as thorough as I would normally like it to be, but here we go: I've lived all over NY, and now I've lived in Florida for a year. I am going to give you the quick 3 (things that I love, things that bother me the most).

+ Sunshine (cliche, but it is nice)
+ Water activities (you're in the wrong place if you don't like water activities)
+ Food

- Crime (esp. sex offenders)
- Traffic / drivers
- Out of control costs / collusion by politicians

This might surprise some, but I'd have to say my Florida life is overall better than my New York life. However, one *VERY LARGE* contingent is children. Being an adult in Florida is no problem, but I am scared s***less to start a family here.

I'll be straight with you: you have about 50/50 odds of finding happiness, maybe less (in favor of NY).

At the end of the day I wish I could have the job I have now, but in New York (but I'd rather have a job). Sorry for speaking in two tongues, but there is no better way to describe my feelings.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,526 times
Comcast just took over here and they are hiring all over the place. Maybe even here your Mother lives

Old 03-29-2007, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,916 times
Angry Move to Florida??? Not good...

I have been here for 12 years now, I moved from Massachusetts. I would give anything to move back there today. I will go back eventually. This state is getting overcrowded, expensive, and crime is going out of control. It has changed completely sine I moved here in 1995... Hot, humid, nasty weather. 2 months of the year are good, THAT'S ALL... Wages are a joke, and rents are getting rediculous. It's becoming a state for the wealthy... Don't move here it's a crappy state...

Old 03-29-2007, 07:25 AM

523 posts, read 2,822,327 times
If you Mom can help you get started in Florida, I would do it. There are plenty of cable jobs here. Apply online with Verizon, Brighthouse, There are several independent contractors here. Also ck Floridacareerlink.com
Good luck

Old 03-29-2007, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 10,827 times
I am the mother of a 25 year old that is "starting over in NY" I have lived in florida. He tried to Start over in Florida but the jobs don't pay enough to justify the cost of living. It is expensive and the hourly rate is not as high as in NY. It's full of old people, not that there is anything wrong with that, but it's no place for a 29 year old to start over. My son lives in Albaby NY and hates where he is living, hates his roommates.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:47 AM

166 posts, read 984,366 times
Don't forget to get all your hurricane supplies. Make sure you get:

If you move to Florida you will need to buy:

4 five gallon gas cans
1 generator
1 portable air conditioner
1 Telephone that doesn't run on electricity.
1 gas grill or barbeque
1 cooler (to put drinks in)
2 tarps
radio that runs on batteries
TV that runs on batteries (that may be your only source of entertainment for a few weeks)
Flashlights, candles and matches
a syphon (cause just wait till everybody runs out of gas)
allergy medicine and face mask ( only if you are allergic to working outdoors)

I say allergy medicine because last time we had a storm both my neighbor and I had allergies while cleaning up all the debris.

If you will get your own home or condo make sure you get hurricane panels or shutters. Some homes and condos come with them, many don't. I had to get used panels, which only cost about 2.5k. I would think a small condo shouldn't be too much used. If you get new I have no idea how much that would cost.

I say get hurricane supplies because most people haven't ever talked about that on these boards yet you have to have them. Trust me I know what I am talking about!

A good generator will cost you at least 600 or more. I wanted to have air conditioning so I think we spent about 1.5k on a generator and about 700 dollars on a portable air conditioner.

Just imagine having to take cold showers and then sit in the heat. Last time we had a hurricane we had no electricity for two weeks. After that ordeal I went out and got the best generator I could find that would support a good portable air conditioner.

In the Orlando area they got hit a few times in one year. I remember a police officer telling me he had no electricity for two weeks. Then my girlfriend told me that she had no electricity for two weeks during the first storm. Then a month or two later, she had no electricity for another two weeks.

It was bad enough that I had to take cold showers, but the heat is another story. Oh yeah, that and the fact that it took me three and a half days before I got my first glass of ice water. After that I said, "I need a generator." It's a must if you are going to move to Florida.

There must be other things I forgot to mention, but Florida is great. You just have to deal with emergency situations occasionally. Just be prepared, and it will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida