U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 12:34 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,513,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
A very real comment unfortunately.
I'll second that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 05:19 AM

9,624 posts, read 6,605,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

I could never understand, for the life of me, why people rave about the service at Publix.

I used to shop regularly at 3-4 different Publix stores when I lived in Florida, and I found the service to be generally rude and curt at all of them. Perhaps the store associates were just a reflection of the general culture of the area in which I lived, but overall, I never found service in Florida to be anything to write home about. Quite the contrary, in fact.

Overall, service in Florida outside of, say, the Disney theme parks is generally rude and incompetent. I've never had the displeasure of living among and interacting with a collective group that lacked common sense, basic knowledge and general reasoning ability as people in Florida. Not a very swift bunch down there, that's for sure.

You could blame that on the service-oriented economy and the type of people that it attracts, but I encountered that type of blatant incompetency at the professional level, too.

I guess it depends where one goes?
IMO, South Florida in general is a hectic disaster for the most part.
In Central Florida, most Publix stores are in or close to some more affluent parts of town, and as a result, attract a certain type of folk. I find the prices at Publix to be cheaper than at its main competitor, Winn-Dixie, and the BOGOs are just unbeatable. The stores are pretty much all immaculate, well-lit, and the service, from my experience, has always been extremely courteous, friendly, and the staff is always smiling.
In my years here, out of maybe 10 Publix stores, I believe there was only one that made me cringe, and that was one off of Silver Star Rd. near Pine Hills in Orlando... For those curious, Pine Hills is a less-than-desirable part of town, and it would appear the store's been there for quite some time, possibly before the gentrification that occurred near downtown that forced the lower-class to the west.
With that in mind, I would assume your statement in bold to be accurate, and likely a reason why the new Publix stores under construction/recently built are in better areas.
PLUS, kids get free cookies!!!

Old 05-06-2015, 06:43 AM

6,268 posts, read 3,456,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I was telling the OP that he would definitely have to a carry a flood insurance policy if he owned a home in South Florida, regardless of the home's location, because all of South Florida is prone to severe flooding due to torrential rains from tropical storms as well as the region's low-lying, coastal location and poor natural drainage.
These days having flood insurance makes sense just about anywhere. If you're not in a flood zone you're talking about less than $500 a year - not a pittance but worth it. There are people in the middle of Long Island who got their basements flooded due to heavy rain and because they thought they weren't on the coast they didn't need flood insurance. BTW, Fairfield County also includes Stamford and Bridgeport which are on the coast - it's not all inland.

Quote:

That's your experience, coming from New York, which along with New Jersey has some of the highest auto insurance rates in the entire country, even higher than Florida. However, auto insurance rates in other Northeastern states such as Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania are certainly lower, on average, than in Florida.
If true then fair enough.

Quote:
Plus, if you move down to Florida, you need to own a vehicle to get around because public transportation infrastructure is very limited, not to mention what does exist isn't very convenient. For example, PalmTran buses don't usually run past 8:30-9:00pm or so, but malls, restaurants, and other establishments stay open until 9:30-10:00pm.
Living in Fairfield County, or any of the areas outside NYC proper you need a car to get around for the SAME reasons you state above. Most public transportation in the NYC suburbs is geared to get commuters to/from NYC.

Quote:
Another thing, too--regular vehicle maintenance costs will be probably increase in Florida, too, because you will find yourself doing much more driving than, say, in Connecticut or New York. Because most of Florida was developed in the 1970's onward, things are very new, but also very spread out.
Perhaps more driving, but the roads are generally better here, and traffic is (at least on average) better in many cases.

Quote:

Going around the block to the bank, post office or grocery store, for example, would sometimes be a 10-15-minute drive with all of the traffic signals, U-turns, etc.--nothing's just "right there," so to speak. Definitely something you have to experience to understand. Same deal in other very new areas, too, like Arizona and Nevada.
Little different, except that I'm finding now that the 10-15 minute drive is 4-5 miles at a higher speed than 2-3 miles going through a ton of stop signs. In my experience it's a wash.

Quote:
I could never understand, for the life of me, why people rave about the service at Publix.
Take a trip to Long Island and go to a Waldbaums, Stop and Shop or King Kullen and you'll find that Publix is miles better. So again, it's my experience, but I realize it may also be location-dependent.

Quote:
Even though homes are newer in Florida, it doesn't necessarily mean that they're well-insulated--or well-built, for that matter. Lots of those Cracker-Jack-boxes that were built in mid-2000's are very poorly insulated, so energy efficiency is poor. And if your home is south or west-facing, forget it.
Depends on the builder. I suppose if you pay $150,000-$300,000 for a new home the savings have to come from somewhere. Average cost of a home in Fairfield County is near $500K.

Again, Florida is not a panacea. But anyone coming from SW Connecticut or Long Island will definitely see that the cost of living is lower in most areas.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:46 AM

6,268 posts, read 3,456,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
In Central Florida, most Publix stores are in or close to some more affluent parts of town, and as a result, attract a certain type of folk. I find the prices at Publix to be cheaper than at its main competitor, Winn-Dixie, and the BOGOs are just unbeatable. The stores are pretty much all immaculate, well-lit, and the service, from my experience, has always been extremely courteous, friendly, and the staff is always smiling.
In my years here, out of maybe 10 Publix stores, I believe there was only one that made me cringe, and that was one off of Silver Star Rd. near Pine Hills in Orlando... For those curious, Pine Hills is a less-than-desirable part of town, and it would appear the store's been there for quite some time, possibly before the gentrification that occurred near downtown that forced the lower-class to the west.
With that in mind, I would assume your statement in bold to be accurate, and likely a reason why the new Publix stores under construction/recently built are in better areas.
I have found another Publix that's sketchy as well - in Mango outside of Tampa. But it's not the best area.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:52 AM

209 posts, read 212,723 times
My experience having recently moved from Massachusetts is that it is indeed cheaper in SoFla - even Palm Beach County. Housing is less than half, property taxes are less (because housing is less. The rate is higher), car insurance is a a bit less, house insurance (with Flood) is comparable, no state income tax, electricity is much less. Even though AC will run MUCH more often, the monthly costs are less than AC in Boston and less than heating costs in the winter. I understand that salaries are less. I am just addressing costs.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:59 AM

1,973 posts, read 1,641,562 times
Unless you are retired Cheap is relative to wages... Florida is ranked 39 out of 50 for wages and then of coarse you have to look at Florida county by county.
Quote:
Not to mention, wages in NE are considerably higher than wages in Florida. So cheap is relative.
Where my friend makes ~$80k/yr in White Plains, a co-worker of mine doing the exact same type of work in the same field makes about half here in Florida.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:12 AM

9,624 posts, read 6,605,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Unless you are retired Cheap is relative to wages... Florida is ranked 39 out of 50 for wages and then of coarse you have to look at Florida county by county.
Well, yeah. My uncle retired from Port Authority Police in NY/NJ and moved to rural Lake County in North CFL... His ~$100k pension has him living pretty comfortably here, whereas in NYC it was just getting him by.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:24 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,116,699 times
I mean, I looked on Zillow and saw plenty of decent houses for around $200-250K. They were in places such as Deerfield Beach, Coconut Creek, Tamarac, etc. I mean, these same houses would cost about $450-500K in Fairfield County. What a BARGAIN! I mean....even if petty things like groceries, home and auto insurance costs more, who cares!!

Last edited by nep321; 05-06-2015 at 07:39 AM..

Old 05-06-2015, 07:42 AM

209 posts, read 212,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
I am recently retired so I was strictly speaking about expenses not income.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:45 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,513,096 times
Quote:
Publix is great. But I agree with your statement. I've been in some stores in South FL and they definitely weren't as nice as the ones in other areas of Florida that I've been in. I've even seen customers come in and expect the employees to speak Spanish. Publix is pretty good across the board, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or