U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:28 PM

242 posts, read 264,054 times

Advertisements

Florida is very cheap for people who are lazy, and don't work or cheap (miserly) people, or people like some women on this forum who sit around all day playing on THIS forum while their husband/slave is out working paying the bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 10:55 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,046,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So then where do all the educated, well off gays live within South Florida? I mean, they gotta live somewhere.
Mostly in the Wilton Manors area of Broward County.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:57 PM

242 posts, read 264,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Pretty much, and I wouldn't even consider Plantation or Sunrise all that "nice," either. They're OK, and there's a lot of honest, decent solidly middle-class people living in those communities, but overall, Sunrise and Plantation are so close to sketchy, undesirable areas that the "spillover" is unavoidable. Ditto Miramar and Pembroke Pines.

Because of the layout of the South Florida metro area, which is a tiny strip of land situated between the Everglades to west and the Atlantic Ocean to the east that's never more than 20-25 miles wide, but 75-100 miles long, lots of communities that *are* somewhat upscale and desirable are never more than a stone's throw away from undesirable areas with high crime, poor schools, etc. This issue is most apparent in Miami-Dade County because it's the most densely populated, and then Broward.

For example, the only truly "safe" cities in Broward County are Parkland, Weston, and Southwest Ranches because all three of those communities are distantly removed and buffered from high-crime, ghetto areas by moderately safe, middle-income communities like Coral Springs/Coconut Creek (Parkland), Sunrise/Plantation/Davie (Weston), and Davie/Cooper City/Pembroke Pines (Southwest Ranches).

However, thing is, the "safe," "upscale" communities in South Florida, for the most part, have very expensive housing by Florida standards. Thing is, they're pretty far removed from job centers, the beach and other attractions and amenities, not to mention very suburban and boring. Someone 30 years old whose unmarried and/or without a family would be bored to tears living in any of those communities.

Oh, yeah--the mosquitoes and other pests in those areas are absolutely horrendous due to close proximity to the Everglades and limited sea-breezes and trade-winds. Pest control only goes so far (another added cost if you move to Florida--forgot to mention that earlier).

Generally speaking, though, the further north you go in South Florida, the nicer, safer and more upscale it generally becomes. If I was to move back to South Florida for a suburban existence to raise a family, I don't think I'd consider living anywhere south of Palm Beach Gardens--just too many drug and social issues.

Even though I consider Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens the "nicest" communities in South Florida, they're so far north in the metro area and, therefore, so far removed from most job centers and other amenities, that it's really not practical to commute south of, say, Boca. And even that's a stretch.

If you're looking for more "bang for your buck," don't care about an urban experience or cultural amenities (which it seems like you don't based on your current location and many, many other threads/posts), don't mind slightly cooler winters and slightly hotter summers, and want to stay under the Florida umbrella, I'd look further north and west in the state.

Tampa and Orlando in particular offer far more newer, "affordable" housing options, although salaries are lower in those areas than in South Florida, the economies are more heavily service-based, and the general populace is not very well-traveled or cultured.

The Orlando area in particular is aesthetically prettier than South Florida, especially the Orlando area--more trees, rolling hills, lakes, winding roads, pastures, etc. The pace of life is a little bit slower, although I'm sure this has changed, and people are a little bit more laid-back and pleasant. I think the architecture is prettier, too, especially in the older communities. You're probably more likely to meet a Florida native or two there. FWIW, if I was to ever move back to Florida, I'd move to Winter Park.

Some posters on here show a strong bias for Jacksonville because it currently has one of the strongest job markets in Florida, but IMO, moving to Jacksonville from up North kinda defeats the purpose of "moving to Florida" due to their significantly cooler winters relative to much of the state. That's to mention that, for me personally, Jacksonville is just too culturally Southern.

TBH, I think that's the reason why Jacksonville and other northern FL cities like Tallahassee have the best job markets in the state--so few transplants and immigrants willingly move to those cities over Miami, Tampa, Orlando, et al. because, in comparison, Jacksonville doesn't have much to offer, especially in terms of "Florida living."

If you have any further questions, please shoot me a DM. Thanks, and best of luck in your decision.
True and Accurate Post (thumbs up).

Old 05-06-2015, 11:18 PM

26,075 posts, read 28,478,940 times
Quote:
How come people always tell me that the cost of living in southeast FL is high? I mean, when I look at the statistics for home values, they are around $180K-200K in ALL three counties (Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach). The only thing I can think of is that maybe the statistic is dragged down because the majority of homes are located in undesirable areas? I don't know.

But I currently live in Fairfield County, CT, which is EXTREMELY expensive. So to me, South Florida seems like a bargain!!! Am I wrong?

I would want a nice home in a nice, quiet area (not a fixer upper) for under $250K, if possible. But it's impossible around here.
It all depends on what you're used to. If you're used to the NYC metro area, then it doesn't seem that bad. But South Florida does have an above average cost of living by U.S. standards. Wages there are below average, too, so it's a double whammy.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:42 PM

26,075 posts, read 28,478,940 times
Quote:
So then where do all the educated, well off gays live within South Florida? I mean, they gotta live somewhere.
A gay friend of mine says they live in Fort Lauderdale. He told me he'd live there if he could get a job in his field there, but the wages/cost of living ratio works out better for him in Tampa/St. Pete. He has reiterated what many have said here about the cost of living in South Florida. Lower than the Northeast or CA, but once you factor in the lower pay, it's still not an easy place to make a living.

This friend of mine lives in the Tampa/St. Pete metro. While he likes the people in the sense that they're friendly and unpretentious, he also finds that they're not very cultured or educated. It's all about pretzels, beer, & baseball for them (even the gays). Tampa/St. Pete has a lot of closeted gays, too. He tells me many complain about not being able to find boyfriends and yet never make the time to meet people outside their immediate friend/family circles. Obviously, there are exceptions, but that's the big picture for Tampa/St. Pete area.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:58 AM

11,383 posts, read 7,772,225 times
Quote:
How come people always tell me that the cost of living in southeast FL is high? I mean, when I look at the statistics for home values, they are around $180K-200K in ALL three counties (Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach). The only thing I can think of is that maybe the statistic is dragged down because the majority of homes are located in undesirable areas? I don't know.

But I currently live in Fairfield County, CT, which is EXTREMELY expensive. So to me, South Florida seems like a bargain!!! Am I wrong?

I would want a nice home in a nice, quiet area (not a fixer upper) for under $250K, if possible. But it's impossible around here.
Yes you can find something nice in that price range.

Costs are high for low and moderate income people, but it's still a lot cheaper here than it is in the northeast. Everything else is about the same, food might be a little higher because there is less competition of large supermarket chains.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:11 AM

11,636 posts, read 20,432,482 times
Quote:
I mean, I looked on Zillow and saw plenty of decent houses for around $200-250K. They were in places such as Deerfield Beach, Coconut Creek, Tamarac, etc. I mean, these same houses would cost about $450-500K in Fairfield County. What a BARGAIN! I mean....even if petty things like groceries, home and auto insurance costs more, who cares!!
Those houses are not in decent, safe neighborhoods. Figure a minimum of $350K for a decent sized house in a decent (not high end, just decent) neighborhood. Quite a bit less than Fairfield County but your job won't pay as much. No matter what you do, you will not make the same here as you do in CT. The only way you can figure to make the same money is to own your own business.

The difference in home insurance will not be petty. It will be substantial. Plan on paying triple what you pay in CT once you figure in flood, windstorm and regular homeowners. Wages will be less here. A lot less. I lived in Stamford for many years. Cost of living is less here but so are wages. You can't look at prices in the cheapest parts of Broward and figure that is what you will pay.

Auto insurance is higher in Broward than Fairfield. Not significantly more but more. Groceries will be slightly more. The biggest differences will be higher home insurance and lower wages.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Pretty much, and I wouldn't even consider Plantation or Sunrise all that "nice," either. They're OK, and there's a lot of honest, decent solidly middle-class people living in those communities, but overall, Sunrise and Plantation are so close to sketchy, undesirable areas that the "spillover" is unavoidable. Ditto Miramar and Pembroke Pines..
The western part of Plantation is very nice. The eastern part is solidly middle class.

The western part of Sunrise is nice. The rest of Sunrise is borderline ghetto but the west is really nice.

Miramar has some nice areas in the west but most of it is pretty sketchy.

Pembroke Pines is very nice in the west but not that nice in the east (but not dangerous, just ugly).

Old 05-07-2015, 10:56 AM

6,252 posts, read 3,445,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The difference in home insurance will not be petty. It will be substantial. Plan on paying triple what you pay in CT once you figure in flood, windstorm and regular homeowners. Wages will be less here. A lot less. I lived in Stamford for many years. .
Curious - how long ago were you in Stamford? I have a relative there and we compared homeowners insurance, and it wasn't a huge difference when you compared house prices and coverage amount - and I used my homeowners (which has windstorm coverage). I don't know where "triple" came about unless you were in a small cape or ranch in Stamford and live on the shore in FL.

Flood insurance is pretty much the same cost anywhere as it depends on the flood classification. If you're in "X" in CT and "X" in Florida it's still around $450 a year for maximum coverage.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Curious - how long ago were you in Stamford? I have a relative there and we compared homeowners insurance, and it wasn't a huge difference when you compared house prices and coverage amount - and I used my homeowners (which has windstorm coverage). I don't know where "triple" came about unless you were in a small cape or ranch in Stamford and live on the shore in FL.

Flood insurance is pretty much the same cost anywhere as it depends on the flood classification. If you're in "X" in CT and "X" in Florida it's still around $450 a year for maximum coverage.
How do you get homeowners insurance for $450 per year in FL?

I was in Stamford from 1988-1995 and in Westchester from 1995-2000. When we lived in Westchester we had a 2500 sf colonial. We sold it for $368K in 2000. Our homeowners was $600 per year.

When we moved to Broward we bought a home for $375K in 2000. Our homeowners, was around $2,500. It was about 4X the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or