U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:37 AM

15,190 posts, read 31,137,880 times

Advertisements

I would love to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:19 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
There is a segment of the Cuban-American community here who were sympathizers of President Batista's ideologies (who was the Cuban leader pre-Castro) and he/his followers have similar views to extremist right-wing Republicans in this country. It should start to add up for you with that nugget of information...

Old 05-06-2015, 09:20 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,515,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I would love to go!
Yeah I'd definitely try this out. Not only do I want to visit Cuba, but going by ferry would be cool. I've taken other international ferries and it has always been fun.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:50 AM

2,636 posts, read 1,544,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There is a segment of the Cuban-American community here who were sympathizers of President Batista's ideologies (who was the Cuban leader pre-Castro) and he/his followers have similar views to extremist right-wing Republicans in this country. It should start to add up for you with that nugget of information...

The difference between "that segment" of the Cuban American community and extremist right wing Republicans in this country is that the latter never had their family and friends executed or incarcerated, not had their property stolen by a self-professed communist dictator -- they merely sympathize with Cuban Americans who did.

As I said recently in another current, related thread: If liberal middle-class Americans want to go to Cuba to have fun, smoke cigars, go to the beach, or engage in sex tourism, by all means do so -- we fortunately live in a free society. But please don't try to convince everyone else that its really in the interest of the Cuban people. The Cuban People includes all those exiled Cuban Americans in South Florida who have been victims of political repression. Most Americans who will line up to spend their dollars in Havana cannot begin to imagine what it was like for "that segment" of Cubans to suffer as they did and be exiled from their country, for the crime of political dissension. The repression continues today and, now that its with US approval, is not likely to end. How's that for the benefit of the Cuban people?

Old 05-06-2015, 09:30 PM

242 posts, read 264,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I would love to go!
Ask your husband to buy your ticket and pay?

Old 05-07-2015, 03:25 AM

6,608 posts, read 10,671,815 times
Quote:
There is a segment of the Cuban-American community here who were sympathizers of President Batista's ideologies (who was the Cuban leader pre-Castro) and he/his followers have similar views to extremist right-wing Republicans in this country.
Listen, kid, never mind that crap about ideologies, like so many adolescents, the world doesn't work that way. Read up on real history.

As a practical matter, then, listen to CapnTrips ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
... segment of the Cuban American community ... had their family and friends executed or incarcerated, ... had their property stolen by a self-professed communist dictator

Most Americans who will line up to spend their dollars in Havana cannot begin to imagine what it was like for "that segment" of Cubans to suffer as they did and be exiled from their country, for the crime of political dissension. The repression continues today and, now that it's with US approval, is not likely to end. How's that for the benefit of the Cuban people?
The hatred is personal. Personal. It has nothing to do with fantasies of ideologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Relaxing the embargo and Ombamacare will be the defining memories of this presidency.
Let's see:

1) gifting health insurance companies millions of captive customers, forcing them into expensive and complicated high deductible plans;

2) increasing the estate tax exemption by as much as ten-fold;

3) making permanent low and reasonable income tax brackets (save for one at the very top) and dividend and capital gains tax rules, which were otherwise set to expire;

4) "all of the above" energy policy, including smashingly successful fracking, which has altered the energy paradigm domestically and globally;

5) related, continuance of perpetual war against US energy rivals in the oil crescent, including much of the so-called middle east;

6) related, further development of new technologies such as drones, now available for domestic use commercially;

7) related to all the above, soaring equity values for insurance, military and technology companies;

8) finally, possible new blind free trade and investment partnership agreement with Asia-Pacific countries, ensuring another 15-30 years of wage competition for the average worker on US soil.

Defining memories indeed. Not a bad presidency at all. There are many who will take that deal every decade. Every decade.

No demogogic ideologies for the adolescent minded, then, but strictly business.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Would you go?
No.

Last edited by bale002; 05-07-2015 at 04:10 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 05:33 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
The difference between "that segment" of the Cuban American community and extremist right wing Republicans in this country is that the latter never had their family and friends executed or incarcerated, not had their property stolen by a self-professed communist dictator -- they merely sympathize with Cuban Americans who did.

As I said recently in another current, related thread: If liberal middle-class Americans want to go to Cuba to have fun, smoke cigars, go to the beach, or engage in sex tourism, by all means do so -- we fortunately live in a free society. But please don't try to convince everyone else that its really in the interest of the Cuban people. The Cuban People includes all those exiled Cuban Americans in South Florida who have been victims of political repression. Most Americans who will line up to spend their dollars in Havana cannot begin to imagine what it was like for "that segment" of Cubans to suffer as they did and be exiled from their country, for the crime of political dissension. The repression continues today and, now that its with US approval, is not likely to end. How's that for the benefit of the Cuban people?
I find your argument fascinating considering this country's spending obsession with the People's Republic of China and do not recall hearing any uproar from conservatives over travel to/from that country. Hypocritical much?

Old 05-07-2015, 08:38 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,605,146 times
The anger and grudge that exists among individuals such as CapnTrips is understandable, and it is not something that will go away as long as both parties to the problem exist... that's the reality of it. It's been over 50 years now, and nothing has really changed to alter any of that.

It kind of reminds me of a very bitter divorce in which there are children involved. In this case, I would say the people and families that were left back on the island are like the children in a divorce case. The ones that fled, along with their offspring, are like a principal party in a divorce case. In this case, they at least received some redress in the form of a new lease on life with new beginnings in the US, and with many advantages not previously afforded to others trying to get into the country. So there was a remedy of sorts for them with that.

With the emotions and feelings the way they are, a third party is needed to mediate and get beyond the intractability that has existed for so many decades and which would only continue to exist. And this comes at the expense of all those others who want get beyond this existing stalemate. And I feel that that's where we are at this point in time.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:22 AM

2,636 posts, read 1,544,093 times
Quote:
I find your argument fascinating considering this country's spending obsession with the People's Republic of China and do not recall hearing any uproar from conservatives over travel to/from that country. Hypocritical much?
I wouldn't set foot in China if you gave me free airfare. And, I avoid buying Chinese products as much as possible -- as much for personal safety as for ideological reasons. The Chinese are downright frightening, on many levels.

I'm no expert on China relations, but I get the impression that our relationship with the Chinese is driven more by private business concerns. Unfortunately, it is also true that a working diplomatic relationship with China, hard as that may be for Americans to swallow, is essential to our long term national security. That is important.

In the case of Cuba, recent policy changes were driven by the need for a second term President to add luster to his accomplishments, and go down in history as the President who did what no other could or would do in 50 years -- for good reason. I'm sure there'll be a shelf or two in the Obama Presidential library about it. Gotta hand it to him -- it was an easy way to look good in front of many Americans whose main concern is whether they're now going to be able to go to nice beaches and buy cheap cigars.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:43 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,148,362 times
Cuba is very beautiful country which I would not mind visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or