U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 02:49 PM

15,184 posts, read 31,120,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
City Guy997s nailed it. I stopped complaining about it out here since we're stuck until our little cat passes away from feline lymphoma (next month marks her one year anniversary since the exploratory surgery, biopsy and diagnosis, along w/ the start of her chemotherapy drugs, and she is hanging in there amazingly well). Daytona is what it is. Dot shuttle sent me a free R/T shuttle ticket on a screw up (really nice people to do business with, and the screw up was my fault for not catching the AM-PM snafu) and I keep thinking of going to St. Pete for a visit. Everyone I talk to loves the place, which is a little suspect actually, so I want to go see myself why everyone likes it.

Volusia county/Daytona Beach will never change. The place is run by the France family and the county council, who are run by the developers. In nearly every category, this county comes up last. The people are unfriendly, and the intelligence level is so low that I can't imagine most of them going anywhere else. Real right wing place too. If you love NASCAR, FOX "News", and driving your car on the beach running over sun bathers, come on down! You will fit right in. It's too bad too because you can get some deals on housing, the beaches are fine, and the wildlife here is wonderful. You soon learn to tune out all the blight on Atlantic Avenue. If you think that looks bad, drive through some of the bad neighborhoods on the mainland side. Good grief, it looks worse than Detroit. You won't see any developers out there!

After coming here on and off for about 20 years and seeing nothing ever get better, you finally realize that it isn't going to get better. Every new hotel they build is touted as what will "really put Daytona on the map". Yeah, right. The Hard Rock will change nothing, just as Joe's Crabshack changed nothing. They must have based the movie Groundhog Day on this place.
First of all, I am so sorry about your little kitty. But you must be giving him a lot of great loving care for him to still be around after a year diagnosis of that illness, bless his sweet little heart (and you too!)

Anyway, I was trying to say something somewhat positive about Daytona when I said some day it will come up - even as a person here who always gets criticized for being a "Florida cheerleader" (because I love it here) I have never had anything good to say about that city. I agree with everything you said. I was born and raised in FL and used to visit Daytona way back in the 60s and 70s and it was a complete pit back then. It sounds like nothing has changed.

Anyway, no one can guarantee you will love St. Pete but believe me when I say it is a world of difference there, especially in and around the downtown and beaches. It is one of my favorite Florida cities, if not my favorite. Good luck with everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 11:54 AM

733 posts, read 1,299,639 times
Joe's Crabshack is probably the main destination point in Daytona, along with Ocean Deck and Inlet Harbor. Whenever I go to these places, I see tons of cool people, either tourists or locals. But I'm always secretly thinking how they must be regretting their vacation and they are basically stuck going to those 3 places or so, to make themselves feel like they are doing something cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or