Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:55 PM

745 posts, read 1,583,324 times

Advertisements

Boy is this place run down. Even moreso than when I left. It's really sad. I live in St. Pete now and that place is basically San Francisco compared to this place. I'm here to get a tattoo. Trying not to be negative, and trying to make the most out of it. But man...never seen so much open land on a beachside in all my life. It will be nice to visit the southern most region of Ponce and Port Orange tomorrow, as I know those places are nice. But my god, driving down A1A is like driving thru a ghost town. I was thinking of buying here in the future cuz I would get more bang for my buck, and I still think that compared to the Gulf side, but youve got to be prepared to seriously live in seclusion. Which can be attractive, but man...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 09:10 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
It was very stagnant area until recently as the recession really hurt the local economy but that is picking up and new construction is starting to happen again.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 PM

242 posts, read 346,345 times
Daytona - Ghetona - Dirtona - Scumtona .... What did you expect Utopia?

Old 05-18-2015, 12:57 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,519 times
Weren't you a waiter from the Shores?

[Thanks for posting your observations.]

Old 05-18-2015, 07:56 AM

593 posts, read 668,021 times
Daytona is stuck in the late 80s/early 90s in my opinion. The first time I drove down there from Jax Beach I was pretty disappointed. I was expecting a much more vibrant and nightlife geared town than what I found. They do have some nice beaches, but besides that I do not find the area attractive at all.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 AM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times
A few years back, my wife and I weekended at a beachfront hotel on Daytona Beach Shores. On a Saturday night, we decided to venture out and explore the local bar/night scene. To our surprise, there was less nightlife there than in our 10k little town of Mount Dora.
How does a city the size of Daytona, which supposedly is a tourist hub, not even have any form of nightlife whatsoever?
We weren't looking for a giant nightclub either, but rather just a local, clean lounge to have a drink and maybe watch a band in, much like the ones we visit in St-Augustine...

Old 05-18-2015, 08:36 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
I'm here to get a tattoo.
St. Pete doesn't have tattoo parlors?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:37 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
A few years back, my wife and I weekended at a beachfront hotel on Daytona Beach Shores. On a Saturday night, we decided to venture out and explore the local bar/night scene. To our surprise, there was less nightlife there than in our 10k little town of Mount Dora.
How does a city the size of Daytona, which supposedly is a tourist hub, not even have any form of nightlife whatsoever?
We weren't looking for a giant nightclub either, but rather just a local, clean lounge to have a drink and maybe watch a band in, much like the ones we visit in St-Augustine...
I was just there for Jeep Beach 2015, and we couldn't find any bars open after 11pm all weekend. I was pretty disappointed.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:32 AM

102 posts, read 185,785 times
Mateo, it is funny to read you post this. You and I debated back and forth over the past few years and I am glad to see that you finally see the problems in the Daytona area. It is not to say that it is without potential, it is just in need of desperate updating.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:51 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
I think a lot of what happened was the economy. A significant chunk of people we used to meet down there were fellow time share "owners". I have a feeling that since people are more aware of time shares issues and are bailing out of them its taking its toll on the area. In the real estate bust the timeshare payments were the last thing on peoples minds. Couple that with the City governments attempt to tame the bikers and spring breakers, and the high taxes...and you have....Ghettona.

I remember back in the 90s it was the place to be! We went every year and it was amazing as a teenager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida