U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Tampa really that much better than Orlando?
Yes 31 54.39%
No 26 45.61%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:35 AM

9,744 posts, read 6,699,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonguy86 View Post
In doing my research of the Tampa bay area, I was a bit surprised to find the many people area saying that St. Pete is "better" then Tampa. Really? I always thought Tampa was the clear winner. Please tell me more about why St. Pete is becoming or as always been better then Tampa.
Downtown St-Pete is better. It's livelier, has a nicer waterfront, has nicer architecture...
The majority of St-Pete is definitely not better than Tampa. Most of it is rough/ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 01:13 PM

20,336 posts, read 12,184,671 times
no

Old 07-20-2015, 01:28 PM

135 posts, read 105,190 times
Downtown Tampa is far behind downtown St. Pete, but once Tampa's downtown catches up, St. Pete will have nothing left for people to brag about over Tampa. Aside from the downtown sliver, St. Pete is pretty awful.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:38 PM

9,744 posts, read 6,699,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogler View Post
Downtown Tampa is far behind downtown St. Pete, but once Tampa's downtown catches up, St. Pete will have nothing left for people to brag about over Tampa. Aside from the downtown sliver, St. Pete is pretty awful.
I can second the bolded.

Downtown St-Pete will always have an advantage over Tampa, and that's the fact that it's actually on Tampa Bay. The waterfront there is much nicer than that of Channel District...
That said, I look forward to seeing what they do with Channelside.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:02 PM

20 posts, read 27,375 times
I've read that Vinik has a billion dollar plan for Channelside. How is that going? Is it actually happening? What is the current status of the project?

Old 07-20-2015, 03:06 PM

109 posts, read 108,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
I've done a pretty extensive search and it seems as though every time Orlando and Tampa go head to head Tampa comes out on top, why is this and is Tampa really that much better than Orlando?

Which city feels newer, has better weather, a better job market, better traffic, and lower COL?
explain in your "extensive" search how Tampa comes out ahead of Orlando?

Ever been to TIA at 2 am...dead Orlando international still buzzing at 2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I can second the bolded.

Downtown St-Pete will always have an advantage over Tampa, and that's the fact that it's actually on Tampa Bay. The waterfront there is much nicer than that of Channel District...
That said, I look forward to seeing what they do with Channelside.
I guess thats an advantage, until the big one finally flushes this place clean...

Last edited by sanchez8; 07-20-2015 at 03:14 PM..

Old 07-21-2015, 09:52 AM

551 posts, read 342,461 times
Wanted to chime in on this since I grew up in Orlando lived in miami for a awhile and now settled in Tampa. I prefer Orlando but got a job in Tampa and since married here. Orlando feels like a cleaner city probably being its newer. Orlando is the same distance to beach as many Tampa people. 45 minute drive for me to gulf beaches and I'm not on the outskirts of tampa. Orlando has nicer lakes and springs if you like that stuff. Orlando has better shopping and entertainment. Party wise I think the cities are the same but tampa is known for better adult entertainment. Traffic is worse in Orlando because of the tourist but they actually put their heads together and got a commuter rail. Tampa is better if you bay views and water sports. I think Tampa may have more jobs but I only compared them when we were deep in the recession. I think housing options are cheaper in Tampa. I don't think you can go wrong in either city but in the core of Tampa it's older and may seem dirtier to some. But it's called character and I like it now!! This is a perspective from a married 34 old male that has traveled outside the country quite a few times. Orlando is a more international but tampa is diverse. Strokes for different folks, right!

Old 07-21-2015, 10:03 AM

109 posts, read 108,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonguy86 View Post
I've read that Vinik has a billion dollar plan for Channelside. How is that going? Is it actually happening? What is the current status of the project?
Nothing much yet, he has plenty of plans but let me put it this way. Anyone who doesnt think Vinik is in it for the MONEY is fooling themselves. He doesnt give a crap about Tampa or its people, he is trying to get paid. If what he is doing isnt working and he starts losing cash on projects in tampa and has a chance to flee, he will. Same happened in 2008 and thats when channel side started taking a dump when these "investors" dipped out. Trump actually was going to put is name on the channelside towers and backed out at the last minute. Smart move from him becuase soon thereafter, the crash happened and bums ended up squatting in them.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:36 AM

135 posts, read 105,190 times
Of course he's making money. He's not stupid. But he has put a lot of his own money into the Lightning, and genuinely wants downtown to flourish.

I'm not aware of any broken ground on the project thus far, but I do know that USF's Morsani College of Medicine was greenlighted in the state budget and will be relocated to downtown.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:55 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,413,174 times
Tampa(Hillsborough county) no, Pinellas county maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida