U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Tampa really that much better than Orlando?
Yes 31 54.39%
No 26 45.61%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:21 AM

733 posts, read 1,304,451 times

Advertisements

St. Pete is better than Tampa and Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 08:43 AM

9,722 posts, read 6,679,204 times
I like the city of Orlando better as a whole, but I will say that Tampa wins if anything just because of geography/location.
The bay area just can't be beat.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:03 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,547,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I like the city of Orlando better as a whole, but I will say that Tampa wins if anything just because of geography/location.
The bay area just can't be beat.
What do you mean by that? Orlando is actually closer to South Florida than Tampa is, so in some ways its location can be a disadvantage. I don't like Tampa at all. I guess it would be a good place to live if you were that close to the beach, but majority of people are not. I won't mind making the drive to Cocoa.

I'm amazed at how much Orlando offers compared to what Tampa does.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:08 AM

779 posts, read 699,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What do you mean by that? Orlando is actually closer to South Florida than Tampa is, so in some ways its location can be a disadvantage. I don't like Tampa at all. I guess it would be a good place to live if you were that close to the beach, but majority of people are not. I won't mind making the drive to Cocoa.

Hmm, on every map I've seen Tampa is further south than Orlando... Thanks for the other information though.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:24 AM

9,722 posts, read 6,679,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post

I agree with most of what you're saying, especially the last part.
By location, I don't mean proximity to other cities, but just rather how it's surrounded by the gulf and the bay. I particularly like the scenery, and the fact that it feels like a port city.
Downtown St-Pete and Treasure Island are both impressive as well, IMO.

Orlando in recent years, however, has grown pretty nicely, whereas Tampa seems to be stuck in the year 2000.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:29 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Hmm, on every map I've seen Tampa is further south than Orlando... Thanks for the other information though.
Yeah it's further south, but Miami is actually 40-50 miles shorter from Orlando.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:31 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree with most of what you're saying, especially the last part.
By location, I don't mean proximity to other cities, but just rather how it's surrounded by the gulf and the bay. I particularly like the scenery, and the fact that it feels like a port city.
Downtown St-Pete and Treasure Island are both impressive as well, IMO.

Orlando in recent years, however, has grown pretty nicely, whereas Tampa seems to be stuck in the year 2000.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah I like how when I fly into Tampa I see the bay and all that, very beautiful. I'm just not attached to any area of Tampa though, where as I'm really interested in multiple areas of Orlando. I wouldn't consider living in Tampa again, just not for me.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:39 AM

34,475 posts, read 41,589,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Where did you get that beaches are important to almost everyone?

Right on this forum as almost every one who is inquiring about relocating to Florida seems to indicate close proximity to a beach as a criteria for their choice of location, And most of the Florida residents tell us of how much fun they had at the beach today.
So if a beach is important the closest beach to Tampa is Clearwater at 22 miles
Orlandos closest beach is Cocoa Beach at 60 miles.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:45 AM

10,636 posts, read 10,885,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Pretty weak for those who have lived anywhere else outside of FL and one of it's biggest drawbacks in my opinion.
No worse than Tampa, arguably much better than Jax

Old 05-11-2015, 11:58 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,800,574 times
They are both equally bad, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida