U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Tampa really that much better than Orlando?
Yes 31 54.39%
No 26 45.61%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 11:59 AM

779 posts, read 698,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Right on this forum as almost every one who is inquiring about relocating to Florida seems to indicate close proximity to a beach as a criteria for their choice of location, And most of the Florida residents tell us of how much fun they had at the beach today.
So if a beach is important the closest beach to Tampa is Clearwater at 22 miles
Orlandos closest beach is Cocoa Beach at 60 miles.
Their decisions are usually based on COL and Jobs, not proximity to the beach. It just so happens that there's more cities in Florida that are close to beaches than most other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 12:44 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,796,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Their decisions are usually based on COL and Jobs, not proximity to the beach. It just so happens that there's more cities in Florida that are close to beaches than most other states.
If you look at the criteria of people moving to Florida on this forum they almost always give a specified distance to the beach as a requirement when choosing a place to live. For a lot of people moving to Florida jobs are an afterthought.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:56 PM

10,575 posts, read 10,864,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Right on this forum as almost every one who is inquiring about relocating to Florida seems to indicate close proximity to a beach as a criteria for their choice of location, And most of the Florida residents tell us of how much fun they had at the beach today.
So if a beach is important the closest beach to Tampa is Clearwater at 22 miles
Orlandos closest beach is Cocoa Beach at 60 miles.
Honestly, outside of Orlando, I can't think of any cities I'd want to live in FL that weren't close proximity to either coast.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:09 PM

9,702 posts, read 6,648,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Honestly, outside of Orlando, I can't think of any cities I'd want to live in FL that weren't close proximity to either coast.
Aside from Gainesville/Ocala, there really isn't much of anything other than Orlando that's not in close proximity to one of the coasts. And Gainesville/Ocala aren't really the most appealing places as far as Florida is concerned. One is largely just a college town, and the other feels more like a town in Alabama or Georgia than it does a Florida town.
Orlando has the Florida feel, sans the beaches.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:03 PM

4,158 posts, read 7,919,120 times
To be honest, the whole beach thing doesn't make that much of a difference unless you can afford to live on the water or have ocean access. I grew up in Ft. Myers which is considered a coastal community and as I got older rarely ever went to the beach unless I was taking visiting family. The main reason is because although I lived in Lee County it was still a 45 min to hour drive to beach from where I lived. I guess I didn't mind as much when I was a kid and my parents did all the driving while I slept.

I now live in Orlando and go to the beach about the same as I did when I lived in Ft. Myers. The drive is comparable in my head. For my friends who live in East Orlando or Seminole county it's really only about a 35 mile drive which is about what I drove in Ft. Myers.

The problem with most beaches unless your fortunate to live within walking distance or have boat access is that the best beaches are almost all on barrier islands. Most of the barrier islands have one to two bridges going in and out so the traffic always gets stuck right before you get to the beach. I can get to Cocoa in less than 40 mins but than you hit Merrit Island and it takes you another 20 mins to get across the bridge. The same in Daytona and Ft. Myers, getting across the Ft. Myers Beach Bridge could take up to an hour at times.

For what it's worth I like both Tampa Bay and Orlando and think just about anyone could be happy living in either place. But unless you can afford to live on the beach, don't really expect much of difference from living in Orlando or inland Hillsborough county. St. Pete is better for beach access because it's on a peninsula and you get to the beaches without having to cross a bridge.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:44 PM

1,259 posts, read 3,280,845 times
I agree,I live in Miami but I'm still like 45-60 minutes away from the beach,and I rarely go to the beach.You could live in Orlando and the east coast beaches are probably just over an hour away,not a whole lot more than from my house in Orlando.To me the beaches are not a must,I probably go to the waterparks around the state 10 times for every time I go to the beach.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:28 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,532,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
For what it's worth I like both Tampa Bay and Orlando and think just about anyone could be happy living in either place. But unless you can afford to live on the beach, don't really expect much of difference from living in Orlando or inland Hillsborough county. St. Pete is better for beach access because it's on a peninsula and you get to the beaches without having to cross a bridge.
Yup, I'm in inland Tampa. I for one couldn't be happy in Tampa, though. But that's not everyone.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:37 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,274,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Aside from Gainesville/Ocala, there really isn't much of anything other than Orlando that's not in close proximity to one of the coasts. And Gainesville/Ocala aren't really the most appealing places as far as Florida is concerned. One is largely just a college town, and the other feels more like a town in Alabama or Georgia than it does a Florida town.
Orlando has the Florida feel, sans the beaches.

Thats a lot of what FL is. So how could it be more like Alabama or Georgia? You mean "feels like FL" as in like beachy, transplant heavy or transient like most of other areas in FL? To me, Miami and much of South FL doesnt feel like FL, but I'm a native. So to most ppl from other areas, I guess FL is like the typical Orlando/Tampa/Miami areas and places like Ocala and Gainesville are not? I guess to someone new (I'm not saying you specifically) who doesnt know much about FL, other than they want to be around other ppl from the same places (NY, NJ, other countries), shopping strip malls and beaches, those areas "feel like FL."

Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM

242 posts, read 264,735 times
I think Florida is an enigma, or a phenomenon if you will. The inland areas are completely different than the coastal areas. Even So. Florida up to about Vero Beach the foliage changes rather dramatically from island plants and natural palm trees to pine trees. The place I was raised about one hour south of Haines City looks nothing like So. Florida so the comparison of small Florida inland towns to Southern Georgia are valid. The older I get the more I feel the beach is overrated not to mention as people age over 40 the last thing our skin needs is a tan. Skin cancer rates triple as we are exposed in our 40s compared to our teens-30s.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:11 PM

242 posts, read 264,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
... I'm a native.
And this is the ONLY thing we have in common!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida