U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Tampa really that much better than Orlando?
Yes 31 54.39%
No 26 45.61%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:31 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,254,872 times

Advertisements

how would you know? not sure what you mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 04:50 AM

21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Aside from Gainesville/Ocala, there really isn't much of anything other than Orlando that's not in close proximity to one of the coasts. And Gainesville/Ocala aren't really the most appealing places as far as Florida is concerned. One is largely just a college town, and the other feels more like a town in Alabama or Georgia than it does a Florida town.
Orlando has the Florida feel, sans the beaches.
As a Native Floridian, I disagree with that assessment. Orlando benefits from a bit of Disney-fication in that department which fools some, and minus the artificial aspect of imported sub-tropical landscaping in some areas may look like the Florida many imagine (in the tourist areas around hotels, etc), but the reality is minus that if one takes a good look around the topography is similar to what one finds in South Georgia and North Florida in terms of hardwoods like Oak Trees, Spanish Moss and swampy scrub vegetation like the billions of Saw Palmettos seen in the area. I think when most envision a "Florida feel" it doesn't involve items like those and is probably more about Coconut Palms, flowering native sub-tropicals and beaches.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:25 AM

10,575 posts, read 10,842,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As a Native Floridian, I disagree with that assessment. Orlando benefits from a bit of Disney-fication in that department which fools some, and minus the artificial aspect of imported sub-tropical landscaping in some areas may look like the Florida many imagine (in the tourist areas around hotels, etc), but the reality is minus that if one takes a good look around the topography is similar to what one finds in South Georgia and North Florida in terms of hardwoods like Oak Trees, Spanish Moss and swampy scrub vegetation like the billions of Saw Palmettos seen in the area. I think when most envision a "Florida feel" it doesn't involve items like those and is probably more about Coconut Palms, flowering native sub-tropicals and beaches.
As a native central Floridian, I disagree with you.

Florida is a melting pot in topography and culture/politics, not just what one would expect to see in south FL

Last edited by chopchop0; 05-12-2015 at 07:40 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 08:36 AM

4,158 posts, read 7,909,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

Florida is a melting pot in topography and culture/politics, not just what one would expect to see in south FL
I think Central Florida has the best mix of topography in the state. Orlando is landlocked yes, but it's dotted by lakes and ponds everywhere. We may not have a beach culture but we have a pretty strong lake culture. Weekends are for finding that friend (or you may be that friend) and heading out on the lake for some water sports or fishing. And of course there's all the cold natural springs.

But I love the fact that I can drive 45 minutes to the east and be in coastal Florida with the beaches, palms, sand and ocean. I can drive 30 minutes to the northwest and be in Florida's hill country with the rolling hills of Clermont and Lake County. You can go to quaint little towns like Mt. Dora and sometimes forget Orlando is only a few miles away. Or you can drive up 441 and get that feel for old Florida.

I agree Orlando is not tropical, it's basically the cut off line between for the tropical environments of Florida. Come January there are days it's 20-30 degrees colder here than in south Florida. Yes it does look more like Atlanta than it does Miami but that's the beauty of it.

I'm not a native Floridian but have been here most of my life. I agree that if your idea of Florida is all sunny beaches and palm trees you may want to try Hawaii. Florida is very large state that is very diverse all around. Go to any gameday in Tallahassee or Gainesville and you'll be reminded this is still part of the south. Go to Miami and you'll know why it's the "World's" playground. There no typical Floridian or typical Florida, we're a place all our own.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:14 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I think Central Florida has the best mix of topography in the state. Orlando is landlocked yes, but it's dotted by lakes and ponds everywhere. We may not have a beach culture but we have a pretty strong lake culture. Weekends are for finding that friend (or you may be that friend) and heading out on the lake for some water sports or fishing. And of course there's all the cold natural springs.

But I love the fact that I can drive 45 minutes to the east and be in coastal Florida with the beaches, palms, sand and ocean. I can drive 30 minutes to the northwest and be in Florida's hill country with the rolling hills of Clermont and Lake County. You can go to quaint little towns like Mt. Dora and sometimes forget Orlando is only a few miles away. Or you can drive up 441 and get that feel for old Florida.

I agree Orlando is not tropical, it's basically the cut off line between for the tropical environments of Florida. Come January there are days it's 20-30 degrees colder here than in south Florida. Yes it does look more like Atlanta than it does Miami but that's the beauty of it.

I'm not a native Floridian but have been here most of my life. I agree that if your idea of Florida is all sunny beaches and palm trees you may want to try Hawaii. Florida is very large state that is very diverse all around. Go to any gameday in Tallahassee or Gainesville and you'll be reminded this is still part of the south. Go to Miami and you'll know why it's the "World's" playground. There no typical Floridian or typical Florida, we're a place all our own.
Well said. It might just be me, but I love the general feel/vibe of Orlando. Feels very different from all other Florida cities. Night and day from the kind of the city Tampa is.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

A melting pot of topography? Me thinks not...Flat scrublands with some varying coastal flora and fauna but otherwise it's fairly one dimensional. A melting pot of topography would apply more to the neighbors to our north like GA, SC and NC which are truly diverse in terms of topography. Culturally, I agree that it doesn't get much more diverse than Florida. As for politically it's hovering "purple" without the extremes found in other states and certainly not a melting pot if considering much of the ground to the left of center, which I know you're not exactly familiar with...

Old 05-12-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:

I find interesting the pro-Orlando slant by so many on this forum and the gooeyness evoked by your summary of the area when in fact if one were to place Tampa in the same conversation it wouldn't be inaccurate with the mention of the same type of attributes, some of which are shared geographically...hmmm.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I find interesting the pro-Orlando slant by so many on this forum and the gooeyness evoked by your summary of the area when in fact if one were to place Tampa in the same conversation it wouldn't be inaccurate with the mention of the same type of attributes, some of which are shared geographically...hmmm.
I never said Tampa couldn't described the same way, I just don't know enough about Tampa to describe much outside of I-75. If you can give an accurate description of Tampa Bay that you feel is more accurate please do so. Of course I have an Orlando slant, I grew up, I live here now, I love it here...so what's wrong with that??? I have also never said anything bad about TB, as matter of fact I have said many flattering things about Tampa Bay and would not mind living there but circumstances brought me home. Kyle you can't stand anything that's complimentary of Orlando, just admit it.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:32 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
Quote:
I never said Tampa couldn't described the same way, I just don't know enough about Tampa to describe much outside of I-75. If you can give an accurate description of Tampa Bay that you feel is more accurate please do so. Of course I have an Orlando slant, I grew up, I live here now, I love it here...so what's wrong with that??? I have also never said anything bad about TB, as matter of fact I have said many flattering things about Tampa Bay and would not mind living there but circumstances brought me home. Kyle you can't stand anything that's complimentary of Orlando, just admit it.
For what it's worth, I didn't see your post as pro-Orlando...more so just describing why you love where you live and what you have access to.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:42 PM

If I'm pro/cheerleader anything its for the State of Florida. I have lived in Ft. Myers/Lee County, Central Florida, Gainesville and South Florida. I have enjoyed every where I lived in what I consider my home state. I read post in every forum here bashing and hating Florida. I grew up here, I'm a Florida Boy, I'm a Gator!!! I have every right to be proud of this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida