U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Tampa really that much better than Orlando?
Yes 31 54.39%
No 26 45.61%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:51 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,411,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I'm close to a native, been here most of my life. I think Florida has changes in topography, it certainly has changes in environments. For instance Gainesville where I went to college is nothing like Ft. Myers where I grew up. The Panhandle is nothing like the South Florida. Most of the interior state following along US 27 is pretty hilly to me. I have lived in other areas of the country with more traditional hills but I consider the center of the state to be hilly. Of course it's just my opinion.
Of course. To those of us who are used to mountains those hills are a joke. LOL. But hilly they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 AM

4,158 posts, read 7,927,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Lakeland is East of Tampa, like halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Springhill is in the northern part of Tampa Bay.
I've always wondered this, is Lakeland part of Tampa Bay or considered it's own separate region. Most people don't consider it part of CFL but does Lakeland have it's own news stations and newspapers like Sarasota Bradenton or does it just use the TB resources?

Old 05-14-2015, 10:10 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,552,880 times
Quote:
I've always wondered this, is Lakeland part of Tampa Bay or considered it's own separate region. Most people don't consider it part of CFL but does Lakeland have it's own news stations and newspapers like Sarasota Bradenton or does it just use the TB resources?
I've never considered it to be part of TB. When people refer to the greater TB area, they usually include St. Pete and Clearwater but never Lakeland.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:13 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,411,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I've never considered it to be part of TB. When people refer to the greater TB area, they usually include St. Pete and Clearwater but never Lakeland.
It is part of the Greater Tampa area but most people don't think of Lakeland as Tampa Bay

Tampa Bay Demographics | Tampa Bay Partnership

Old 05-14-2015, 05:26 PM

779 posts, read 700,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Of course. To those of us who are used to mountains those hills are a joke. LOL. But hilly they are.
Please don't tell us that you're some sort of Coloradan mountain snob, lol.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:19 AM

3,599 posts, read 5,858,008 times
As someone said a few pages back in similar words, "I'm a Florida Fan," and for 90% of that state so am I. I do have my prefered locations within the state for everything from favorite cities, best downtowns, favorite east coast beach to surf, favorite east coast beach to eat, nicest west coast beach, and so on and so forth.

However, I am super pro Orlando not only because it gets way too much flack on this forum, but also because I do believe it is doing something very different from any other big metro (at least the big 4) in the state right now. At the same time our downtown CBD, surrounding bungalow neighborhoods, suburbs along the SunRail route, and even our long neglected attractions corridor of I-Drive are growing with such a sense of interconnected purpose.

Sure I've heard about all the condos going up in Brickell, or the Uptown Miami area changing into an artist driven area that is far more organically developed than the rest of urban Miam, but I just don't feel it has the ability to impact South Florida the way the last 5 years or so going into the next 10 plus will affect how Central Florida comes together.

Think about it, in recent years we've basically replaced all of our aging venues with new ones that will ensure the success of our athletic and performing arts for decades. We've built an MLS team from the ground up, installed a 62 mile commuter rail system in a region plagued with sprawl, given downtown a new look due to infill project, art installations, expanded the free bus circulator downtown, are about to build a huge UCF downtown campus in the now underway Creative Village where the old arena once was.

Our airport is expanding as our theme parks have also expanded (and continue to do so) in leaps and bounds. We now welcome nearly 60 million visitors a year and our brand as the world's most popular destination is fully cemented (sorry Vegas). Part of the airport's expansion is a multimodal transit station that will house a hopeful expansion of SunRail, a train to Miami and points south, and most excitingly a privately funded Maglev train from MCO to I-Drive.

The mere fact that 2 private rail corporations are banging down Orlando's door to connect our airport with places of interest suggest to me that Orlando is poised for even more growth as a destination. I-drive just added a 400 foot observation wheel, an aquarium, wax museum, and some new dining options which is fantastic, but if the plans go forth for the Poler Coaster, Mango's Cafe, and the ISquare Mega Mall, that first wave of I-drive attractions will seem like child's play.

Meanwhile at the parks Disney is building Avatar themed areas in DAK, DHS is probably gonna be renamed and much of the park will go to make way for a real life Star Wars World which makes sense with Disney about to make a new SW trilogy. They also are making progress on a complete revamp of Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island by transforming and expanding it into Disney Springs.

Universal expanded Harry Potter, built more hotels, remodeled CityWalk, and has started construction on a water park. Rumors also are flying that Universal will build a 3 gate someday on property adjacent to Wet n Wild that was sold off by Lockhead Martin that has been a vacant eyesore in that area for years.

So with the impending theme park wars about to go on, Orlando braces for how the southern corner of it's metro will be directly affected by all the new toys in town, but this kind of growth spills over to the rest of town. Now we're seeing our tech industry flourish in formerly shuttered Church Street Exchange, Lake Nona Medical City is heating up again, UCF continues to grow both out in East Orlando at the main campus but also as I mentioned with brand new ones in key areas for the metro.

And lastly one that I often underestimate the impact of myself, but the ultimate I-4 project. This is one of the largest single effort projects the state has ever done. I'm still not sure after the grueling 6 years of work how I'll feel about what a completely replaced interstate from our northern suburb of Longwood to Universal will do for the region, but when you combine the uniformed feel it will give motorists approaching Orlando from out in the burbs all the way through town, you can't help but at least be mildly excited (for lack of a better word) about the new aesthetic.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:49 PM

134 posts, read 194,751 times
Tampa feels more like a big city and Orlando feels more like a giant tourist attraction. That being said, I prefer Orlando. More things to do, cleaner, better road system, better restaurants, ect.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:21 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,715,394 times
Quote:
I've always wondered this, is Lakeland part of Tampa Bay or considered it's own separate region.
There's one thing you need to know about Florida... Everything from Tallahassee to Miami is consider "Tampa." Not "Tampa Bay," Tampa.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 AM

15,229 posts, read 31,231,890 times
Quote:
We lived in Lakeland for almost 2 years. It has it's own newspaper (Lakeland Ledger), electric company, performing arts center, art center, news stations etc. Being between Tampa and Orlando almost equally it does not seem to be included in either area. I always found it strange that Lakeland (and Polk County) didn't have it's own sub-forum here while dinky little places like Ocala do.

Lakeland is a very nice smallish city (100,000 pop) that totally stands on its own. I believe it has something like 9 small colleges, plus the fantastic new campus of USF Polytechnic.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:01 AM

21,237 posts, read 30,486,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I always found it strange that Lakeland (and Polk County) didn't have it's own sub-forum here while dinky little places like Ocala do.
I agree, that falls in line with Gainesville which is similarly sized as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida