U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Tampa really that much better than Orlando?
Yes 31 54.39%
No 26 45.61%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:35 AM

4,091 posts, read 4,693,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
plus the fantastic new campus of USF Polytechnic.
It hasn't been USF Polytechnic in quite a while (as in, longer than a year, easy). Rick Scott thought we needed a 12 state university, so he separated USF and Florida Polytechnic University. FPU now stands in Lakeland with no accreditation and a website without a .edu.

From their website:

Is Florida Polytechnic University accredited?

No, Florida Polytechnic is not accredited. However, the institution plans to apply for regional accreditation at the earliest time possible.

In other words, Lakeland may be good for some things. I wouldn't be using FPU as one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 09:49 AM

9,619 posts, read 6,601,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
It hasn't been USF Polytechnic in quite a while (as in, longer than a year, easy). Rick Scott thought we needed a 12 state university, so he separated USF and Florida Polytechnic University. FPU now stands in Lakeland with no accreditation and a website without a .edu.

From their website:

Is Florida Polytechnic University accredited?

No, Florida Polytechnic is not accredited. However, the institution plans to apply for regional accreditation at the earliest time possible.

In other words, Lakeland may be good for some things. I wouldn't be using FPU as one of them.
Another idiotic move by yours truly.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:52 AM

792 posts, read 2,018,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
I've done a pretty extensive search and it seems as though every time Orlando and Tampa go head to head Tampa comes out on top, why is this and is Tampa really that much better than Orlando?

Which city feels newer, has better weather, a better job market, better traffic, and lower COL?
Not enough difference between the two to even matter.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,254,872 times
both have positives and negatives like all places. I like both areas just fine. Like the poster above said, not sure theres THAT much of a difference, really.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:12 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
both have positives and negatives like all places. I like both areas just fine. Like the poster above said, not sure theres THAT much of a difference, really.
I think there's a huge difference. While living in both cities is quite similar, they both have a completely different vibe. For example, I hate Tampa and love Orlando. So there has to be some difference. Maybe not in the job market, but as far as cities go...yeah.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:00 PM

779 posts, read 696,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I think there's a huge difference. While living in both cities is quite similar, they both have a completely different vibe. For example, I hate Tampa and love Orlando. So there has to be some difference. Maybe not in the job market, but as far as cities go...yeah.
What do you hate about Tampa and love about Orlando?

Old 06-08-2015, 06:49 PM

17,521 posts, read 10,605,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
IMO, it is all about the water. If you don't care about it, you might choose Orlando. But if Florida means beaches and waves and boating and fishing and all that, you gotta go with the greater Tampa Bay area.
Right. The water is a prime reason for moving to FL. Then the "milder" Winters. If someone just wanted milder winters, move to Phoenix or Tuscon, AZ.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:38 AM

81 posts, read 80,603 times
Neither one are good in my opinion. They are too urban, overdeveloped, and don't feel southern. I currently live in St Pete, and can't wait to get out of this overpopulated dump, and move to Citrus County.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:32 AM

10,575 posts, read 10,842,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin230 View Post
Neither one are good in my opinion. They are too urban, overdeveloped, and don't feel southern. I currently live in St Pete, and can't wait to get out of this overpopulated dump, and move to Citrus County.
1/3 of the population are senior citizens. Sounds like God's waiting room considering FL population of them is 17% as a whole
Citrus County, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-09-2015, 05:51 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
What do you hate about Tampa and love about Orlando?
Grew up in Tampa, so my hate is somewhat biased about it. I just can't find much to like about it. I've gone into detail about this before, but really no areas of Tampa interest me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida