U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 11,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerman1 View Post
There is a Youtube video taken during Hurricane Frances in Fort Pierce that actually shows, at one point, a mobile home losing it's roof and even a wall peeling away at the seams. And Frances was only about a strong Category 2 (max sustained winds of only 105 miles per hour) at landfall in Fort Pierce.
There's also YouTube video out there taken after EF-1 tornadoes hit regular houses and did like damage with like wind speeds. Your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 08:48 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,152,193 times
Mobile homes should be built to hurricane force standards and if there not knocked down so people can be safe.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:38 AM

3,558 posts, read 6,214,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
You would be far less likely to survive a direct hit from a strong storm. It's your life and your money, so if you think it's wise to buy a TRAILER( that will depreciate in value) go for it.
The important thing is....all manufactured home communities are supposed to have a sturdy block building for people to go when threatened by tornadoes and hurricanes. You just need to prepare where you will go to ride out the storm and how and where you will be able to afford to live if you do sustain damage just like you do in a block house. It does not have to be a direct hit for major damage. Basically all our hotels had to be rebuilt after 2004 because of the damage. One was completely torn down because of the structural damage when it took off a whole section of the north wall of the building. On the same beaches in the same county some of the trailers and doublewides on A1A had minimal damage. One of my friends ran from Francis, but gave up and stayed in the mobile home she lived in on A1A during Jeanne. Her place had minimal damage. Another friend living in a retirement park about 8 miles in was damaged heavily and they sold the land and moved to a condo. My boss lived in a house on the beach and did not even have a shingle missing while another friend's house 15 miles inland took a year to get repaired. You just never know so you buy insurance and prepare for the worst praying all will be well in the end.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:54 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,882,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
The important thing is....all manufactured home communities are supposed to have a sturdy block building for people to go when threatened by tornadoes and hurricanes. You just need to prepare where you will go to ride out the storm and how and where you will be able to afford to live if you do sustain damage just like you do in a block house. It does not have to be a direct hit for major damage. Basically all our hotels had to be rebuilt after 2004 because of the damage. One was completely torn down because of the structural damage when it took off a whole section of the north wall of the building. On the same beaches in the same county some of the trailers and doublewides on A1A had minimal damage. One of my friends ran from Francis, but gave up and stayed in the mobile home she lived in on A1A during Jeanne. Her place had minimal damage. Another friend living in a retirement park about 8 miles in was damaged heavily and they sold the land and moved to a condo. My boss lived in a house on the beach and did not even have a shingle missing while another friend's house 15 miles inland took a year to get repaired. You just never know so you buy insurance and prepare for the worst praying all will be well in the end.
I have seen that kind of result in NC as well. What happens in a lot of the storms is some of the worst damage is from the ground getting so saturated that root balls don't hold the tall trees that have a lot of leverage and they blow over and hit things. Particularly susceptible are large yard trees; those big glorious oaks and maples that shade an entire yard and are often standing alone so they bear the full brunt of the wind. Those are usually inland a few miles.

I do agree with the nay sayers that the likelihood of destruction is higher with manufactured housing, but a recent manufactured home (not mobile) is probably on par with an older CBS home and may actually fare better than an old stick built home. If you insist on making the comparison between a recently built CBS home and a trailer from the 60s of course the CBS home will come out on top. But even then, both are unlikely to be hit. Look at this:

Most of FL is in the 1% to 3% range with a little 4-5 down at the tip. Where I am thinking about is in the 2% band. That means if I live there 25 years I have about a 50% chance that a big storm will hit. If a big storm does hit directly, it's bad no matter what you are in. 80% of the homes in the path of Hugo at landfall suffered damage that rendered them uninhabitable. 70% of the inhabited housing in NO was damaged in Katrina. Water damage is what is most common. And just because you are "hit" by a hurricane doesn't mean you are in the path of major destruction. If you go looking the path of Andrew for example, while Homestead was pretty much leveled there were several other cities that were technically hit by the storm (within the radius) but suffered far less damage.

The point of all that is that while it is true you are statistically better to have a CBS home if a hurricane hits what it translates to is maybe you will have a 30% chance of not having substantial damage instead of a 25% chance. It isn't a night and day slam dunk that means you are crazy to live in a manufactured home, especially a recently constructed one.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:29 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,281,401 times
Most of these mobile home parks in my area are disappearing because of the trash that correlates to those who live there. Sorry Im not going to be sweet and sensitive here. Watch any episode of Cops and guess where theyre constantly dealing with domestic abuse and drug cases.....these parks. Cities do NOT like them, either do residents. Im pretty sure my city has banned new development for them.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:39 AM

You can't really paint them with a broad brush. Well, I guess you can, but it really isn't fair to.

There are gated neighborhoods with owner occupied manufactured homes that have strict covenants and active HOAs. There are nice mobile home communities where yards are well maintained, all units are skirted, many or most homes are owned by the residents and not all applications are accepted. Some of those are age restricted (55+) and have organized activities. And there are trailer parks...

Old 06-16-2015, 12:17 PM

21 posts, read 18,579 times
I would imagine that there are many people who wouldnt care as long as they were renting or could find and afford insurance. Most Hurricanes are spotted long before they reach shore. Plenty of time to drive to Georgia or Alabama.

If you are renting and your trailer blows over you have lost nothing except what you left in there. If you own a house and it gets damaged or destroyed it can cost money.

Now as to why people would own mobile home parks? They must be insured. I would imagine they invest in good insurance. Right?

Old 06-16-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistsRthieves View Post
Now as to why people would own mobile home parks? They must be insured. I would imagine they invest in good insurance. Right?
I tried various search terms to find parks and one lead me to a page of parks for sale. They ranged from 175k to 2m. Low end was an inland campground with some larger spots for trailers. High end was waterfront (river/sound) with clubhouse/pool, poured pads and lots of residents.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:50 AM

70 posts, read 59,015 times
I hear a lot of stories about container homes being used as a house component. would building a shipping container house be any more feasible in Florida because of the many mobile homes there?

Old 06-20-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bela View Post
I hear a lot of stories about container homes being used as a house component. would building a shipping container house be any more feasible in Florida because of the many mobile homes there?
I would imagine that while the container comes cheap, transport and fitting out would likely put it on past with block at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or