U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:55 AM

6 posts, read 8,784 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am searching for a town in Florida similar to my home town in Maine. My current town is approx 2500 people and feels about as big as 5000-6000 people. We have a grocery store, banks, a very small college and even McDonalds. We are located far (about 100 miles) from the nearest mall.

What I enjoy about this area:
-Genuine, honest, hardworking people. We are low middle class, but happy and all part of a community.
-Safe. Violent crime is nearly unheard of here
-The natural beauty is stunning
-Very affordable

I am looking for a similar town somewhere in Florida to visit in the winter and possibly make it a yearly stay. Being away from chain stores and malls is a plus. They are fun to visit from time to time but far from a necessity.

Does anything come to anyone's mind when I describe an area like this? I would prefer Orlando and south for the winter warmth.

Suggestions welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 09:14 AM

7,095 posts, read 3,456,394 times
Gulfport

Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 AM

15,187 posts, read 31,126,156 times
Dade City/San Antonio! It is beautiful, with hills, lakes, woods, lots of natural beauty. There is St. Leo University, and Pasco Hernando Community College. Dade City is the county seat for Pasco. I think population is about 5000 for the actual city, but the unincorporated areas make it a bit larger. We lived there for about 12 years, loved it. It is also an easy drive to Tampa or Orlando.

If this area is still too large for your liking, check out Floral City (very small, sounds like what you describe) or Inverness.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:18 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,896,767 times
Dunedin, Safety Harbor come to mind but there are lots of small towns that would fit. Inverness is another place not too far away from big city but is a nice little place.

I also like Dade city area. Quaint city center and nice little restaurants that aren't chain stores

Old 05-12-2015, 09:20 AM

We moved to the Historic Waterfront area of Gulfport and here's what we can walk to in under one-half a mile:

The beach (albeit a small one, it's a great place to walk and watch dolphins, birds)
City fishing pier
Local restaurants (12+ all independent, no chains)
Retail shops
Library
Yoga Studios (2 private) in addition to City classes at Rec Center
Post Office
City-owned Marina
Parks (5 parks, including 2 dedicated dog parks)
City Tennis Courts
Public beach volleyball courts
Dance Ballroom (City Owned, also the venue for art shows, galas and private weddings/parties)
Live Theatre
City Rec Center
City Government Offices
Convenience stores (2, each of which has foods for carryout: one Greek, one Thai)
Baseball field
Weekly Daytime Fresh Market
Twice a month evening Art Walks

What we can walk to between one-half mile up to one mile:
Grocery Store (SaveALot, not my fave but it's handy in a pinch)
Fresh Produce Stand open 7 days a week (use this more than SaveALot)
Vet
Dollar Store
Drug Store (Walgreens)
5 More restaurants
More stores
Banks

I'm sure I left some places out!

For photos and articles on life here in Gulfport, go to:
Gulfport Florida

Old 05-12-2015, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the quick answers!

Are all of these cities affordable?

Old 05-12-2015, 09:43 AM

Define affordable.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:46 AM

Floral City looks to be the perfect size and also affordable but does not appear to have any type of town center, not even a small one.

Last edited by mattbau43; 05-12-2015 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 09:48 AM

Affordable would be the possibility of buying a house in a safe neighborhood for under $100k.

Basically, the working class.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:25 AM

15,187 posts, read 31,126,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbau43 View Post
Floral City looks to be the perfect size and also affordable but does not appear to have any type of town center, not even a small one.
Floral City or Inverness would be what you are looking for, especially based on your budget. Floral City has almost no town center, but is about a half hour up to Inverness. It is a charming area, you would need to check it out personally. Most of the other suggestions here will not work for you, too large, too expensive. Even Dade City will probably be too expensive for the most part unless you go to one of the unincorporated areas around the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or