U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 04:52 AM

4,586 posts, read 3,393,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
So you thought you'd leave your $700k 900 sqft box of a condo in a mid-level burrow for ocean front 3000 sq ft in Tampa, Fl? And I guess you thought you were the first to think of that? What do you think Tampa is...some third world country?

Guess what? People who own houses like what you mentioned are not typically retirees. They are executives and actively working still. You want 3000 sqft for the family/friends to stay in when they visit you? You want a pool? You want reasonable insurance? You want an up to date home with a nice kitchen & beautiful bathrooms? You want something nearly new (if not new)? And you want all that for under $350k? Go inland and you can get that all day long & sometimes cheaper...just like the millions of other retirees and working families do.

Oceanfront is primarily for smallish condos, tourism, and millionaires. The rest of the working slobs & retirees live elsewhere & visit when they can. At least if they want the home size & amenities without the $500/month HOA, though I'm not sure why a retiree really "needs" 3000 sq ft.

Need to do some better research next time. There are places in Florida that get closer to your list at a cheaper price. They aren't called "Tampa Bay" but they are very nice places to live.
Where does the OP say anything about living on the water, other than providing an insurance quote ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 04:57 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,174,250 times
Quote:
Yeah, nobody does that...thats who. This has to be somebody trolling.
I agree, when I read the post that was the first thing that came to mind. I live in Florida, and it is no more expensive than anywhere else, IF YOU LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS ! What the OP posted were numbers that most people don't incur because they don't buy that kind of house here.

Bet we never see him/her again.

Don

Old 05-13-2015, 05:03 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,213,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I agree, when I read the post that was the first thing that came to mind. I live in Florida, and it is no more expensive than anywhere else, IF YOU LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS ! What the OP posted were numbers that most people don't incur because they don't buy that kind of house here.

Bet we never see him/her again.

Don
exactly - it's like buying a Porsche then complaining that the repair bills are too high - if you buy a $400-$500k house, your insurance and your property taxes will be high - as well as your utility bill most likely.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:17 AM

209 posts, read 212,920 times
Having recently moved from Massachusetts. that is not my experience at all. It may not be cheap but it is not expensive compared to the NE. A nice home in a nice neighborhood is about half the cost. Insurance, utilities, taxes are all less. No income tax to boot. Also services such as painters, carpenters, veterinarians, car washes, haircuts, etc. are all significantly less. It's true salaries may be less but I just retired so that is not a factor.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:19 AM

1,490 posts, read 967,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Where does the OP say anything about living on the water, other than providing an insurance quote ?
He also didnt mention a pool. Call it....good intuition.

Honestly those prices don't sound bad if you can find it on the water in Tampa Bay. But they are most certainly not the entry point of cost outside of being on the water.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:20 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,121,853 times
Here you go. Very easy solution.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
He also didnt mention a pool. Call it....good intuition.
I call it assumption as you really don't know anything about the guy and his family ...

Quote:
Honestly those prices don't sound bad if you can find it on the water in Tampa Bay. But they are most certainly not the entry point of cost outside of being on the water.
Depends where you want to live ... maybe the guy actually wants to live in a more upscale area. And did you not read he is feeding a family of 5 as a retiree ? Must be nice to even think about retirement with 5 in the house ...

Old 05-13-2015, 07:00 AM

1,490 posts, read 967,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I call it assumption as you really don't know anything about the guy and his family ...

Depends where you want to live ... maybe the guy actually wants to live in a more upscale area. And did you not read he is feeding a family of 5 as a retiree ? Must be nice to even think about retirement with 5 in the house ...
Still not seeing your point as you are more interested in pointing out assumptions (which have a good basis to hold to as there are posts like that about Florida routinely) made by 1 person about the assumptions of another (lacking basic research or basis for holding such assumptions). Its your prerogative of course to be contrarian to either side of the coin that appeals to you, but realize it would be very easy & appropriate for a genuine OP to dispel such notions & assumptions with better data. To that end, I'm genuinely willing to discuss & respond as to my assumptions...which have no need for substantiation as this is an opinion-based message board....yet you are more focused on defending the possible intentions and life situation of a rambling fool who came on here to troll and left.

Hence the reason for my taking the liberty of making such assumptions, as there is little genuine about the assumptions made by in the OP.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Still not seeing your point as you are more interested in pointing out assumptions (which have a good basis to hold to as there are posts like that about Florida routinely) made by 1 person about the assumptions of another (lacking basic research or basis for holding such assumptions). Its your prerogative of course to be contrarian to either side of the coin that appeals to you, but realize it would be very easy & appropriate for a genuine OP to dispel such notions & assumptions with better data. To that end, I'm genuinely willing to discuss & respond as to my assumptions...which have no need for substantiation as this is an opinion-based message board....yet you are more focused on defending the possible intentions and life situation of a rambling fool who came on here to troll and left.

Hence the reason for my taking the liberty of making such assumptions, as there is little genuine about the assumptions made by in the OP.
Rambling ... did you say rambling ? And as far as coming back and dispelling notions, maybe the retiree is actually enjoying life outside of C-D instead of playing keyboard jockey all day like some here.

But in the meantime, why don't you assemble the costs for purchase and life in a decent place like say Tampa Palms and get back to us ?

Old 05-13-2015, 07:57 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,215,116 times
Not sure what OP was thinking. Obviously their GPS is broken, as they missed Cuba by a few hundred miles if they are looking for cheap waterfront property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or