Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 07:52 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times

Advertisements

How important do you think this is? I think that Florida is such a big state and the living experiences can definitely change depending upon where in the state you live. For reference, I'm a Florida native and grew up in Tampa.

I grew up not liking Florida, and couldn't wait to get out. I've lived in another state and another country, and now after being away from FL for a few years I'm back to try to live here permanently. I definitely have a different outlook/appreciation for Florida now, and since I got back a few months ago I've been really exploring areas I hadn't seen before and taking road trips and such. And thus far, I have really adjusted to the humidity differently.

So I'm beginning to really like Florida but I still don't love it as a whole. In a few months, I'm moving to Orlando, because it's the best for me in Florida, but it's also a place I'd move to even if it wasn't in Florida.

Do you swear by your area? I know lots on here often talk about how they could never live in South FL. What if the whole state was like that? What do you love about your area of FL and how important do you think it is to find your spot in Florida? I know for a fact that I could never be happy in Tampa, or live there longer than a few months, so Orlando works for me. There are 1-2 other areas in the state I would enjoy living in, but they are few and far in between. I would definitely move back out of the state before moving to a city in Florida I didn't like, but I'm glad I did find a place in FL that suits me.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:07 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
We lived in Satellite Beach (near Melbourne) for 27-years before moving to Destin (Panhandle) to get closer to the grandkids. We're seriously talking about getting a small place in Satellite Beach during the 'winter'. I know that sounds odd, but, it gets cold in Destin during the 'winter'.

Note: We've also previously lived in Tampa and Kissimmee (near Orlando) and, although both are in Central Florida, would not consider either of them over Satellite Beach.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:27 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
PDF... I dont swear by my area. however, if all of FL was like South FL, I'd never considered moving back here. And so far, its not as bad here as South FL, so i'm good with being here. but I dont wanna live here forever.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:47 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
I grew up in Brevard county, lived in Tampa for 12 years, and another state for four years. I moved back to Brevard county two years ago and don't ever plan to move away again.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:39 PM

290 posts, read 339,484 times
The way I look at it, you should live where you have the best opportunities. If you don't really like where you live but you're making $$$ you can always go somewhere you enjoy more on the weekends.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:00 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,799 times
I moved to Miami 3 years ago. It wasn't by choice, but it was where my new job was based. Not really knowing a whole lot about Florida besides the Keys, I figured, Miami would be as good a place as any, and it's close to the Keys, which is my favorite place to be. Now, after living here for a while, I still feel out of place in Miami. I've visited a few other places in the state and most, if not all, appeal to me more as places to live than Miami does. If work location wasn't an issue, I'd like to try Naples or someplace near there. Also spent some time in the Cocoa Beach / Melbourne section of the east coast and that area seems to suit me more than Miami too.
But, unless I hit the lottery or something, I'm stuck here in North Havana for the foreseeable future.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:23 PM

236 posts, read 388,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
I moved to Miami 3 years ago. It wasn't by choice, but it was where my new job was based. Not really knowing a whole lot about Florida besides the Keys, I figured, Miami would be as good a place as any, and it's close to the Keys, which is my favorite place to be. Now, after living here for a while, I still feel out of place in Miami. I've visited a few other places in the state and most, if not all, appeal to me more as places to live than Miami does. If work location wasn't an issue, I'd like to try Naples or someplace near there. Also spent some time in the Cocoa Beach / Melbourne section of the east coast and that area seems to suit me more than Miami too.
But, unless I hit the lottery or something, I'm stuck here in North Havana for the foreseeable future.
I feel the same way about Miami. The biggest problem I have with this city is how expensive the real estate is and the lack of economic opportunities in the city. Everything they build in this city is focused on luxury and it's driving up the price of even the older modest buildings because the land is so valuable. I could probably afford to purchase a half million dollar property in this city, which is nothing great. However, if I purchased a property at this price point I worry about what would happen if I lost my job because the job market is not deep. If you lose your job in this city you may need to relocate to find another job that pays equally well. I'm fortunate that I don't have children because if I had to worry about schools that would add another layer of complexity and cost to living here.

If I had $10 or $20 million I think I would enjoy Miami.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:29 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
I have lived in SWFL, SFL, Gainesville and CFL at different times in my life. Each place I've lived was great for that particular time in my life. I spent my early formative years in Ft. Myers when it was still old florida and old south for that matter. Growing up there taught my some of the values of small town living, but also opened my eyes to alot of inequalities that still exists in our society. I don't think I would be the person I am today without my childhood in Lee County.

I later moved to Central Florida for my teenage and now young adult to adult years. When I first came here as teenager coming from Ft. Myers I thought I moved to "the Big City" having grown up in a small town. I was impressed by every thing. Little did I know at the time Orlando was really just a Big Town or Small City.

Spent 4 wild years in Gainesville. One of greatest college towns around, I would not have traded that experience for anything. People often say there is no history or tradition in Florida. I think attending one of Florida big universities really makes you proud of the State and instills a sense of history in you. But alas it's a college town and I could not see myself living there again.

After a few out of state came home to my first professional job in South Florida. It was everything I imagined and more. As a young professional making decent money with no real bills yet I can't think of many better places to be than South Florida. Yes it is expensive, there are many high crime areas and traffic can be bad, but at that time my life I thought money grew on trees, I was invinceable and time was limitless. It was a short but exciting stint I did there.

Finally came home to Central Florida and realized this is the place for me. There's more than enough for me as young going into middle aged professional. This is a great place to raise a family and a great place to get a little bit of every part of Florida living, beaches, springs, lakes, theme parks, old country Florida. But most of all I enjoy that it's a progressive town that seems to have gone through it's growing pains and starting to come into it's own at the same pace of my life. It's not a perfect place but neither am I. It's an exciting time to be living here in an equally exciting time in my life. For me personally it's just a good fit.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:01 PM

264 posts, read 229,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I have lived in SWFL, SFL, Gainesville and CFL at different times in my life. Each place I've lived was great for that particular time in my life. I spent my early formative years in Ft. Myers when it was still old florida and old south for that matter. Growing up there taught my some of the values of small town living, but also opened my eyes to alot of inequalities that still exists in our society. I don't think I would be the person I am today without my childhood in Lee County.

I later moved to Central Florida for my teenage and now young adult to adult years. When I first came here as teenager coming from Ft. Myers I thought I moved to "the Big City" having grown up in a small town. I was impressed by every thing. Little did I know at the time Orlando was really just a Big Town or Small City.

Spent 4 wild years in Gainesville. One of greatest college towns around, I would not have traded that experience for anything. People often say there is no history or tradition in Florida. I think attending one of Florida big universities really makes you proud of the State and instills a sense of history in you. But alas it's a college town and I could not see myself living there again.

After a few out of state came home to my first professional job in South Florida. It was everything I imagined and more. As a young professional making decent money with no real bills yet I can't think of many better places to be than South Florida. Yes it is expensive, there are many high crime areas and traffic can be bad, but at that time my life I thought money grew on trees, I was invinceable and time was limitless. It was a short but exciting stint I did there.

Finally came home to Central Florida and realized this is the place for me. There's more than enough for me as young going into middle aged professional. This is a great place to raise a family and a great place to get a little bit of every part of Florida living, beaches, springs, lakes, theme parks, old country Florida. But most of all I enjoy that it's a progressive town that seems to have gone through it's growing pains and starting to come into it's own at the same pace of my life. It's not a perfect place but neither am I. It's an exciting time to be living here in an equally exciting time in my life. For me personally it's just a good fit.
Where about in central FL might I ask? We are looking there on the east coast.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:29 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida