U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2015, 08:22 PM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,828,988 times
Reputation: 5074

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
How do you know it's not $11/hour for 2 working parents ?
Well then, the same would apply to the states used for comparison. So it is apples to apples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2015, 08:25 PM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,828,988 times
Reputation: 5074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
"Florida Family Income
The ACS 1-year survey shows that the median family income for Florida was $55,774 in 2013. Compared to the median US family income, Florida median family income is $8,256 lower. Like the median household income numbers, 2014 family income data will be released in September of 2015."
But don't forget to include no state income tax here. That saves ~ $10,000/year on my wife's six figure salary. The salary she is making here in FL is higher than she made in NC and MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 3,796,236 times
Reputation: 3505
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
But don't forget to include no state income tax here. That saves ~ $10,000/year on my wife's six figure salary. The salary she is making here in FL is higher than she made in NC and MA.
Does that include property tax and insurance? I'm not going to get into my income, but it's almost a wash between FL vs. NC for me. The state income tax is way over-hyped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 04:40 AM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,586 posts, read 3,397,186 times
Reputation: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
But don't forget to include no state income tax here. That saves ~ $10,000/year on my wife's six figure salary. The salary she is making here in FL is higher than she made in NC and MA.
How long ago did you leave NC and MA ? If it was more than a couple of years ago, that comparison is not relevant. Were the jobs absolutely identical in all 3 places ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 04:43 AM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,586 posts, read 3,397,186 times
Reputation: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Well then, the same would apply to the states used for comparison. So it is apples to apples.
Not necessarily ... show me the median per capita income for F/T working folks in Florida and then we'll talk. Surely Florida keeps that stat somewhere ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,266,490 times
Reputation: 6010
Face the facts. FL is not that much different than most states as far as incomes go. Less than the northeast but not much spread between states.


The fact is MOST people in FL do not toil at minimum wage or close to minimum wage jobs. If that were so there would be huge camps of tents all over the state as nobody would be able to afford rent or mortgage. The streets would look like Shanghai, China because nobody would be able to afford a car or the gas to put in it. If it was as bad as some say nobody would live here. Same goes for the weather. Hot summers have been the norm here since the oceans receded. Most Floridians deal with it every year. We dont have people melting into the sidewalks, no ambulances picking up people who got heat stroke, no "cooling centers" where people huddle to stay cool.

Basically, if you dont like FL dont come here. If you are already here and find it unappealing do what is necessary to leave. If you lived here previously and find a consistent need to post complete b.s you should seek the help of mental health professionals.

FL did not become the nations 3rd largest state because living here is so horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 07:35 AM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,586 posts, read 3,397,186 times
Reputation: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Face the facts. FL is not that much different than most states as far as incomes go. Less than the northeast but not much spread between states.


The fact is MOST people in FL do not toil at minimum wage or close to minimum wage jobs. If that were so there would be huge camps of tents all over the state as nobody would be able to afford rent or mortgage. The streets would look like Shanghai, China because nobody would be able to afford a car or the gas to put in it. If it was as bad as some say nobody would live here. Same goes for the weather. Hot summers have been the norm here since the oceans receded. Most Floridians deal with it every year. We dont have people melting into the sidewalks, no ambulances picking up people who got heat stroke, no "cooling centers" where people huddle to stay cool.

Basically, if you dont like FL dont come here. If you are already here and find it unappealing do what is necessary to leave. If you lived here previously and find a consistent need to post complete b.s you should seek the help of mental health professionals.

FL did not become the nations 3rd largest state because living here is so horrible.
Just another predictable catch all reverberation from someone who doesn't know the difference between mean and median.

Lots of people in Florida can't afford their mortgage. It's called foreclosure - look up the rates.

Lots of tenants can't afford their rent - it's called eviction.

Lots of Floridians deal with the heat by cranking up the A/C and staying indoors.

Lots of people in Florida can't make it on lower wages so they file bankruptcy.

Lots of people in Florida drive cars but can't afford insurance.

Since you yourself posted the per capita income as 26K or so (overinflated somewhat as it's an average offset by the wealthy), that works out to $13/hour. The lap of luxury ... and there are boatloads of Floridians freeloading off the government.

3rd most populous state - so what ? India is crowded as well ... does that make it a great place to live ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 3,796,236 times
Reputation: 3505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Face the facts.
Take your own advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Central Mexico and Central Florida
7,108 posts, read 3,470,667 times
Reputation: 10184
This data set may help

BEA: News Release: Real Personal Income for States and Metropolitan Areas, 2008-2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,266,490 times
Reputation: 6010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post

Very interesting. I found http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi...df/rpp0414.pdf
to be very informative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top