U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:16 PM

183 posts, read 471,993 times

Advertisements

i want to start school in the fall of 08 most likely in Tampa or surrounding area, my question is if there is any possible way to establish residency without living there until the fall when i will be starting school. i thought i was reading an application for something like this from a florida university. i also have grand parents that live in Stuart and have for years, could this be a way? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,195,221 times
Well, you can't be a resident if you don't live here.

Generally, you cannot acquire residency for tuition purposes if you are here for school.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,254,931 times
See link: State of Florida.com - Florida Residency

Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 PM

11 posts, read 214,729 times
I don't know about Florida, but check to see if you can become Domiciled since you have long-time family connections. Of course it's been decades since I was in your shoes, but I applied for domicile for the same reasons in California where my grandparents lived. But in my case, my father was in the military and we always considered CA "home" through my grandparents. However, when I moved back across country to VA where I went to HS, I changed my domicile again. Crazy, I know, but just a thought to check it out. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:34 AM

45 posts, read 155,287 times
I used to work in the Admissions Office at FSU while I was in college. You have to live in Florida for a year without going to school before being considered a resident (otherwise everyone out-of-stater would try to become a resident their sophomore year and pay a lot less).

Florida schools are VERY strict on this matter. To prove residency you will need something like a Driver's license, a voter registration card, vehicle registration--all of which must be issued a year prior to when you are starting school.

If you are under 24 , you'll have to prove that you aren't a dependent of your parents (especially if they live out of state). They'll want tax returns, etc.

Your best bet is live and work in Florida for a year without going to school in order to claim residency.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:32 AM

183 posts, read 471,993 times
what a downer...

Old 01-22-2008, 12:38 PM

4,724 posts, read 12,420,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaptrex View Post
what a downer...
Actually, for college enrollment, it's like that all over...if you're out-of-state, you pay double....

Old 01-22-2008, 04:19 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,039,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Actually, for college enrollment, it's like that all over...if you're out-of-state, you pay double....
Just consider youself lucky you're not an international student. They pay at least triple in most cases.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:30 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,430,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
You pay more than double if you are out of state. At FAU out of state residents pay about 4 times as much as residents.

States subsidize the cost of college education for residents of the state, NOT for out of state residents. It only makes sense that you need to be an actual resident to be eligible to be subsidized in college.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 PM

45 posts, read 155,287 times
One of my roommates in college was from Connecticut. It was actually cheaper for her to pay the out of state tuition in Florida than to go to UConn at home.

I had a few friends who took time off from school to work and live and then went back when they'd established residency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida