Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 10:45 PM

13 posts, read 18,008 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm looking to move to S. Florida soon, but don't know exactly where to go. Here's what I'm looking for 1.cheap 2.safe 3.diverse. I know S. florida is diverse but I'm looking for a place that has a mix of everyone, not just one group. A friend said broward county is probably my best bet. He said specifically Ft. Lauderdale and Lauderdale Lakes. What can you tell me about those places? Is Miami really as bad as people make it out to be on this board? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 12:39 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
You should specify whether you plan to rent or buy. If you plan to buy, I think "cheap and safe" may be incompatible in southern Florida.

No, Miami is not that bad, nothing is that bad, except bad itself.

There already is a thread on whether Miami is that bad. You may do well to read it and direct questions there.

There is also already a thread on Ft. Lauderdale neighborhoods, maybe you can fish it out and revive it with new questions.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:30 AM

65 posts, read 258,184 times
I Live In Palm Beach County In A Western Community Called 'Wellington." We Have Some Of The Best Schools In The State And The Area Is Beautiful. Close Enough To Get To Everything But Far Enough Out To Have Quiet And Fresh Air. We Are An Equestrian Community And In Season People From All Over The World Come Here. It is Less Than 1 Hr. From The Ocean. Insurance Is Cheaper Than Living On The Coast. ALSO, OUR CRIME RATE IS BASICALLY NILL EXCEPT FOR MINOR OFFENCES. THIS IS AN UPSCALE COMMUNITY and all of S FL is culturally diverse.
Check out Realtor.com for area code 33414 and see what you can get in your price range.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:13 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Don't move to Wellington unless you earn 100,000 or more a year or don't mind living in some cardboard condo. This was a great area till about 10 years ago and is now totally ruined. If you want cheap, DO NOT MOVE TO SOUTH FLORIDA. Miami isn't bad if you like LA. Trust me, you don't want to live anywhere in Dade, Broward or Monroe counties. In 1992 I remember NEW homes being sold in Palm Beach county for 70,000 on one acre, it was a great deal, I almost moved there. Loxahatchee was the part of Palm Beach I liked the most, but it's hyperinflated now too. Face it, South Florida is ruined, forever unless we get a real disaster before then.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:14 AM

65 posts, read 258,184 times
You are so far off base it isn't even funny, and where did you get that salary? You can find a really nice home in the $300,000 range. It is beautiful here. I don't know where you got your information.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
You should not buy any property more then 3X your yearly gross income. That's just common sense.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:46 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Don't move to Wellington unless you earn 100,000 or more a year or don't mind living in some cardboard condo. This was a great area till about 10 years ago and is now totally ruined. If you want cheap, DO NOT MOVE TO SOUTH FLORIDA. Miami isn't bad if you like LA. Trust me, you don't want to live anywhere in Dade, Broward or Monroe counties. In 1992 I remember NEW homes being sold in Palm Beach county for 70,000 on one acre, it was a great deal, I almost moved there. Loxahatchee was the part of Palm Beach I liked the most, but it's hyperinflated now too. Face it, South Florida is ruined, forever unless we get a real disaster before then.

How was it sooo much better here 10 years ago. What was the unemployment rate here in South Florida 10 years ago? That's part of the reason why it used to be cheap here--you had a better chance at getting shot then you did getting a job in some areas. Couldn't buy cheap homes with no job. Now there are many more jobs, it's much easier to find work here. Not saying that's it's easy to make it here now, but don't buy the rosy picture of how easy it was to make it here 10 years ago neither.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:36 AM

423 posts, read 1,642,548 times
Southern Palm Beach... Like Boynton and Delray Beach. I personally love in Delray and love it. It is central, safe, offers variety of housing options in various price ranges and the downtown is awesome!

Old 11-18-2006, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 9,587 times
Miami is as diverse as it gets, and no it is not that bad here, we have a huge range of cities from the north to the south, with SOuth Miami growing, I love it here , its paradise, I live in the Redlands which is down south it is the country lifestyle, quiet while having South Beach, The Grove and Downtown Miami 45 min away . I get the best of both wolrds in one neat package.

I have relocated a few families and executives here and they so far love it
SIngle Family homes in a decent neighborhood will begin at around 300 k and up , Lennar all inclusive homes is all the rage down here at the moment , I am doing a promotion this month with Lennar, their incentives are CRAZY, a 3/2 luxury home with upgrades and thousands in incentives plus no closing costs. I pay the closing costs . Thats my incentive.

Doral is another area in full growth mode, great place invest as well as in South Dade.

Old 11-18-2006, 12:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Wellingtons great. I lived in Paddock Park I ( Squire Dr )

Lauderdale has become quite the upscale city. If you like cities, Lauderdale is a tough act to follow.

Miami is great especially on the isles.

West coast is more laid back, much nicer beaches, not as much "action" so depending on what you are looking for..........

It's here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida