U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:06 PM

312 posts, read 1,226,242 times
I have lived in South Daytona, FL, for 20 years and now, I'm living in NC. We liked living in FL. Our house is about 5 minutes from the beach. My family and I go to the beach and fishing ALL the time. We love it. The bad news is that our house that we purchased 20 years ago was located on the low-lying area and we get floods every other years or so, especially during tropical storms and hurricanes.

Two years ago, our homeowner/flood insurance rates increased over 100%. We decided to shop for a new home in FL, but unfortunately, the price for 3 beds/2 baths are too expensive than it was 20 years ago ($36k vs. $250k). We couldn't find a house that is up higher ground and a reasonable price. Frustrated, we decided to look elsewhere and NC is where our new home is now.

We are very happy living in NC. I've got the highest paying job and more square footages in my house to live in (brand-new). Yes, I missed FL, mostly on beach, fishing, boating, and Disney.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:28 PM

45 posts, read 216,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I am glad that you are happy here. But not everyone is going to be happy, please don't forget that. (There is always someone that isn't happy in Disney World) It isn't easy for everyone to move, I wish I could move to a cooler climate myself, but I just can't at this point. But what I can do, is offer my opinions about Miami/Florida to someone thinking about moving here, just like you are offering your opinions. I wish people that say what you have said, would stop and think before they type, maybe this person is trying to leave, maybe what they have said is actually happening, maybe I am lucky I haven't experienced the negative things about Florida, maybe there is no right or wrong answer just an opinion and they are entitled to their opinion. I am sure that the people who are unhappy here would prefer to move.
The one thing that I don't understand is how people got to Florida in the first place, if you were born here is one reason. Before we moved here we knew it was going to be HOT and HUMID and that seems to be the #1 negative reason why people want to get out. I totally understand for all the other reasons: insurance, taxes real estate prices, hurricanes.... but for just the heat, I don't get it. Its always been hot and humid in Florida.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:45 PM

6,426 posts, read 12,744,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfromredtide View Post
The one thing that I don't understand is how people got to Florida in the first place, if you were born here is one reason. Before we moved here we knew it was going to be HOT and HUMID and that seems to be the #1 negative reason why people want to get out. I totally understand for all the other reasons: insurance, taxes real estate prices, hurricanes.... but for just the heat, I don't get it. Its always been hot and humid in Florida.
I was born here Miami actually, so I didn't pick Florida. But when its 94 degrees and 90% humidity in about a month and a half (Mid-May) and it stays this way till November, it isn't nice to be outside. People up north say they are indoors during the winter, well many in Florida are indoors summer and fall. May-Nov I run from the house to the hot car which I crank the air conditioner once I get in, then I run from the car to the office/store to get into the a/c once agian. I have a problem with heat and humidity I can't take it (I am a thin young in shape person). As a kid, I fainted a couple times from the heat actually. Before A/C Florida wasn't a popular place for a few reasons...

Old 03-31-2007, 09:10 PM

14,444 posts, read 15,446,671 times
Lightbulb a good question-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfromredtide View Post

I would surmise many people who move there aren't aware of what they will come up against. Unless someone is retiring, or is transferring with their career; they are up against unbelievable odds.

From what I recall (I could be wrong) in the 60's and 70's alot of people were moving down there and happy with the move.

All of that seems to have changed with today's economy.

sunny

Old 10-07-2007, 01:25 AM

20 posts, read 113,136 times
I AGREE INVERNESS HAS MORE TO OFFER AS FAR AS A TOWN. HOPEFULLY YOU CAN MAKE A LIVING HERE FOR YOUR FAMILY OR YOU ARE GRACEFULLY RICH..LOL.I AM NOW LIVING IN BEVERLY HILLS. I MOVED HERE 9 YRS AGO FROM FT. LAUDERDALE WEST. I RELOCATED IN INVERNESS. I SOLD A LARGE HOME FOR A WIDOW AND BOUGHT A VILLA IN BEVERLY HILLS, FL. THIS AREA IS VERY DULL. ESPECIALLY IF YOU LIKE THE FINE ARTS.. iF YOU ARE HAPPY WITHIN YOUR MARRIAGE ALL WILL BE OK. FOR YOU HEREMS. HGS GOLD

Old 10-07-2007, 09:06 PM

11 posts, read 67,155 times
I live in South Florida , and would like to move. Too crowded, not much green space left. Too expensive. Even though the winter is heaven , summer has got to be hell.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:08 PM

49,278 posts, read 45,802,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp19777 View Post
alot of people from this forum r so negative about florida? i wanna move to central florida with my mom and everyone here is making it seem like the worst decision i coule ever make? im really frightened for real. i feel like if i move to florida(central, sanford) im setting my self up for misery, unhappiness and failure. is florida really that horrible and is the pay and jobs really as horific as everyone make it seem? is florida a place for a person in there mid 20's or is it a place for retirees? talk to me!everyone just makes it seem like its wonderfull for retirees but not good for young people trieng to make it
you know usual stuff people fuss about, hurricans, alligators and snakes in the yard, gang bangers.
i honestly dont know what gets into them.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,543,314 times
I'm happy. No bugs, we spray. No heat, we travel north during the sticky months. Prop. Tax is comparable to everywhere else in the US. HO Ins. is a pain but it's worth it. Come on down!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:09 AM

437 posts, read 866,369 times
I also agree Verobeach. I know Florida isn't for everyone and it certainly has its problems as is with all of the states...no place is perfect because people aren't perfect. But Florida is certainly not the hell on earth that some would like others to believe. In fact it gets kind of repetitive and boring to read the same complaints by the same people. I hope everyone finds a place that they can be proud to call home.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:20 AM

8,368 posts, read 16,056,277 times
I used to love it here, but it changed. I became unhappy when the constant degredation of the quality of life finally hit home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida