Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 02:13 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times

Advertisements

I lived in Tampa for 3 years while attending USF and it is dramatically more humid than Orlando. It has to be the hottest place I've ever lived except South Georgia!! Actually, Fresno, CA was hotter but it was a dry heat. It was 114 the day we moved into our apartment there, but it didn't feel any hotter than a normal summer day in the South Georgia town we had just left!

I live in Orlando and it is a rare day that we don't have a nice breeze. In fact, I spend most every summer evening by my pool, enjoying the breezes blowing in from the coast.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:50 PM

30 posts, read 429,506 times
maybe it's because of those crooked illinoisans and new jerseyans that always want to be left alone and want absolutely nothing to do with the community around them that portray people saying "hi" to them as being "rude." also, there are a lot of mexicans and cubans living especially in miami that have had it with the dictators of their home countries making their lives hell on earth, and apparently, not many people like to even give cubans and mexicans a chance to make friends and be happy. i mean, true, illegal immigration is a problem down there, but from my point of view, the far bigger problem that causes illegal immigration is the fact that the countries that the immigrants are coming from are just downright terrible. their former countries are run by very hard dictatorships, many dictators will even massacre anyone who tries to change the government (i am sure you have all heard and read about fidel castro). and those people are just completely tired of living under a dictator, especially one who rules their country with an iron fist. also, it seems that too many people are not thin blooded enough to live down there and never realize that, in fact, on many occasions, july and august are practically hotter in the great plains and in the midwest than in florida.

Last edited by batman; 11-12-2006 at 02:58 PM..

Old 11-12-2006, 03:22 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
also, it seems that too many people are not thin blooded enough to live down there and never realize that, in fact, on many occasions, july and august are practically hotter in the great plains and in the midwest than in florida.

That can happen but its unusual. I have been to Wyoming twice in the summer and I can assure you it was far cooler than Florida. Firstly its a much higher latitude. The further from the equator, the cooler it gets. Secondly, its considered a mountain state and the air cools with elevation due to the adiabatic cooling effect(air expands as it rises because the pressure is less and cools as it expands)

So summers in south Florida are 90-95, sometimes hitting 100! The humidity makes it feel really hot! In Wyoming, its nice and mild, like 60-75, not cold but pleasent It does get cool at night, I was shivering in the 45 degree night! And once we even saw snow as we sat in the tour bus with 30 others. We were all amazed! Snow in Wyoming in the summer! There was a couple inches of snow on the ground and gentle snow falling! The air was about 30 degrees that morning as the tour bus drove up the hill. The scenery was amazing! I spoke to some of the locals who said it does snow all year but summer doesnt snow much and most of the time, theres no snow. It can and does get cool enough to snow now and then in the summer. I was afraid to ask what winters were like! Probably at least -20 with lots of wind and dampness making it feel really frigid! Wyoming summers felt like Florida winters! In higher latitudes than Wyoming, we get whats called "tundra" then "icecap" where its always below freezing year around. I think Wyoming has a "taiga" or "coniferous" biome. Coniferous is where theres lots of evergreens. Florida has a tropical biome.

Anyway I got nothing against Florida except unaffordable housing, excess heat and hurricanes. Those moving to Florida will be in for a shock at how expensive houses are. Do you want to rent all your life or live in a 1/1 condo in Florida when you can live in a huge stately house for cheap elsewhere?

Old 11-12-2006, 03:23 PM

65 posts, read 341,150 times
Default I don't know about other FL cities, but...

I don't think it could get any more rude than Miami! Every worker here (the grocery clerks, bus drivers, plumbers, a/c repair, etc.) is so unlikeable and unfriendly and ghetto. It's so bad, that I'm considering fixing stuff myself.

Don't know my neighbors - everyone speaks non-English (and are RUDE on top of that!) or talks to a cell phone. And I walk a lot, go to the mall, take the bus,... have yet to make a friend here.

The only people who are friendly are the tourists. That's why I can't wait to leave this town!

Are other cities this rotten?

Old 11-12-2006, 04:13 PM

251 posts, read 885,806 times
Speaking for myself, Florida is my home and has been always. I am one of the people that are complaining about Florida including low wages, high insurance and taxes. I don't complain because I am unhappy with my life, my life is good and I am very fortunate. I complain because there are people that are running Florida into the ground and really I love my state! I complain because I love the Florida that I grew up in where the beaches were beautiful and not overcrowded, where you could play outside all day long and you parents didn't have to worry about all the sexual predators, where a Sunday drive was a fun thing to do not a traffic nightmare, where Disney was not so overcrowded that you have to wait 3 hours to get on a ride, when Bush Gardens was a "local's thing" and "FREE" and fishing, crabbing, and scalloping were free! All that is a thing of the past and it saddens me. I went to school, college and worked in the medical field for 15 years in my profession and my pay is less than HALF what someone with my qualifications gets in both North Carolina and Virginia and the reason I know that is I have been offered jobs there at more than double my salary. We are looking into moving out of Florida, the only state I have known as home, it's hard and it's sad but we can't afford to stay here. By the way I am not a retiree, I am in my mid 30's. As for someone in their 20's all I can tell you is I had a great time in Florida when I was your age but unless you have an EXCELLENT career that you can make a substantial amount of money, Florida is not a great place to be in in your prime money making years of your life. It is still very beautiful in many places and for the rich that can afford the beaches that too is nice but it is a real struggle for most moderate or low-income families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp19777 View Post
alot of people from this forum r so negative about florida? i wanna move to central florida with my mom and everyone here is making it seem like the worst decision i coule ever make? im really frightened for real. i feel like if i move to florida(central, sanford) im setting my self up for misery, unhappiness and failure. is florida really that horrible and is the pay and jobs really as horific as everyone make it seem? is florida a place for a person in there mid 20's or is it a place for retirees? talk to me!everyone just makes it seem like its wonderfull for retirees but not good for young people trieng to make it

Old 11-12-2006, 04:25 PM

185 posts, read 686,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp19777 View Post
alot of people from this forum r so negative about florida? i wanna move to central florida with my mom and everyone here is making it seem like the worst decision i coule ever make? im really frightened for real. i feel like if i move to florida(central, sanford) im setting my self up for misery, unhappiness and failure. is florida really that horrible and is the pay and jobs really as horific as everyone make it seem? is florida a place for a person in there mid 20's or is it a place for retirees? talk to me!everyone just makes it seem like its wonderfull for retirees but not good for young people trieng to make it
I gave you some negative responses and there true. Based on more information, I'd say you're all right.

I would not plop myself down in the middle of Tampa or Orlando and look for a job, however you have a place closer to the beach which is the only true reason to move here IMO.

Having said that, a lot of people in Florida have been accustomed to living near beaches for next to nothing and inland for nothing. Those days are over.

Coming from the northeast, it's still very reasonable here, the kicker is wages, benefits and job security.

Since you have a place to land, you're fine.

Go to the coast and find the area you like best and try to find a job near there. Then get an apartment near the beach, (don't listen to people that say you can't, look).

Lakes here aren't like up north. Take your dog for a walk near the lake and you might turn around and find an empty leash.

If you can enjoy the beach on a regular basis, it's worth it. Otherwise not, in my opinion.

Ask your mom to ask around about jobs. A good job can make all the difference.

Lots of great beach areas with younger girls etc. from Jacksonville to Cocoa Beach.

You might make a few bucks more in Orlando, but is it worth it? How much would you pay in NY for warm beach access 6 months a year?

Good Luck. You've got some safeguard's so I think you'll have a hell of a good time.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:51 PM

10 posts, read 52,813 times
Default thx

thx tampa red for being positive and honest.... its appreciated.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by za-fl View Post
Unfortunately, the young locals in Orlando are generally untrusting, ignorant and have a slight "gansta" leaning. People may come accross friendly, but more often than not, they aren't genuinely so. I find New York more genuinely kind.

I'm sorry you feel that way or have had that experience in Florida. I have about a dozen grandkids and they ARE DEFINITELY NOT the gangsta' types nor do they have those leanings. There are wonderful young people in the Greater Orlando area! Sorry, but it sounds very arrogant to call the younger locals "ignorant" when perhaps they just don't agree with you and your world view. And perhaps they haven't had your extensive travel to enlighten their paths. Not everyone has that opportunity nor wishes for it.

To the original poster: You mentioned Sanford. There are some nice apartments in Sanford and that particular area is becoming nicer and growing quickly. My oldest grandson lived in an apt. there for 2-3 years, but just moved back to east Orlando into a house. It was safe and nice. So don't let all the boogie men scare you to death about the area!

Old 11-12-2006, 06:08 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,139 times
Quote:
If you're from the south, Texas, maybe one of the smaller, less prominant and cultured US cities, you should be okay.
I read the Florida board out of curiosity more than anything and I take exception to this statement only because it abuses my adopted home state, by name no less!

za-fl,
hallo, hoe gaan dit met jou? Dinge taamlik hectic?

Ok, that's the extent of my Afrikaans. I hope you appreciate the effort. Having travelled the same global path you have, except I did mine much earlier than you did, I can understand your perspective, however I can't believe that a person exposed to the world would make the most elementary of mistakes!
Simple analogy:

If you had cake, or Klappertert in your case, everyday, would you appreciate it for the delicacy it is, or would it become monotonous and boring?

Use the same logic for Orlando. It's main attraction and revenue source is tourism. Just because that's the case doesn't mean that the people are any different from those you'll find anywhere else. They're people with the day to day drudgery and life concerns everyone else has.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,415 times
I cannot speak for anyone non-native to the state.

But I can list a virtually unlimited number of heartfelt answers to your question from the viewpoint of a native.

First, someone said something about people being negative on forums. I dont know about all that, I happened upon this web site while surfing. Im not a negative person, just supplying what you asked for.

I have seen my families home of 3 generations deteriorate to a dilapidated state. I understand its beautiful from what all the transplants say, but its nothing like it used to be and youre hearing comparisons from people that move here from crime ridden/polluted/cold and snowy states. Or else they wouldnt be moving.

This is from growth. We all know it happens everywhere to a degree, but it seems to be everyone that lives/lived in snow wants/wanted to escape it. No surprise. So they come to Florida. Or Az, or Nevada or where ever.

When doing so, they tend to bring their lifestyles with them. Now if you ask anyone that has moved here, it is the rude people "from Florida." On the contrary, we see the attitudes of so many that are used to the big city hustle and bustle ratrace. And we have seen the "attitude adjustment" our home has taken on over the last 100 years. The only common factor in this is the huge influx of snowbirds. Yes, this has definatley hardened our demeanor towards "outsiders." A simple get what you give is what it boils down to.

We have seen our natural landscape torn to shreds on a daily basis so that people can "escape" the snow and cold or play golf for 3 months out of the year. Amazing how many homes sit with no one in them for 9 months out of the year. Tearing down the environment they so dearly cherished and made them move here because they can afford to.

The cost of living is insanity. People can sell a home for 300k in NY for example and 10 years ago buy 50 home lots for that and build a new one for 100k. It has choked out many of the younger natives into not being able to afford their own home. Correct, our pay scale has not been what it has been in larger cities.

The incessant "they dont do things here like they do back home" comments.
If its so great back there, why do people move here?
And as we all know, the vast majority of people in Florida are from where you come from, back home. Speaks volumes about the people transplanting here that actually have made the state into what they complain about.

Our family has called home, "Little New York" and "The Midwest" for 20 years.
Its all in good fun though. I understand it will never change. We just float by day to day watching our home being wrecked by folks who are tired of their own homes because of "the miserable weather." And dont get me wrong, its not all, Edison was a snowbird and we loved him here He actually had a positive influence in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida