Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 05:49 PM

228 posts, read 247,362 times

Advertisements

Moving back home to Florida soon, I am from Jax and Wife is from Miami originally, I don't wanna move back to Jax and she doesn't wanna move back to Miami so that is settled. late 30's couple with 3 children, 1 of which hasn't even started school yet so schools are important as is low crime/safety etc.

So we have whittled it down to the space coast specifically merrit island or satellite beach and Port St lucie, I am a disabled vet and wife is my caretaker/full time mom. House budget is on the lower end of 100-200K, and we despise HOA's. Here is what our pro's and cons look like:

Island/beach
great schools
possibly more "community" type feeling
Proximity to patrick AFB for grocery's etc.
proximity to great beaches etc.

CONS=
traffic
small sq footage of homes in our price range
distance to gulf stream fishing
large transient traffic with the cruise lines/tourist area etc.
general feeling that your paying more for less overall

PSL pros
Ample housing within our budget with more Sq feet.
More diverse community
lowest crime rate
access to moderate size cities for medical care
housing is newer overall and seems to be in a recovery phase at the moment
I personally believe it has more of an "endless summer" appeal to it over Canaveral area
closer proximity to sport fishing/keys etc.

PSL cons
"average schools"
more sprawl
no access to a military base which has been our life for the last 18 years
no real economy/high taxes

(taxes may be irrelevant in the near future due to disability rating but not P/T yet)

Overall i think we would prosper wherever we plant ourselves but I don't wanna feel like I am robbing my kids from the great schools just to live in a slightly bigger house and be able to fish cheaper. Wife thinks that the smaller houses are acceptable, but I have a hard time with it since up until recently the barn we kept our goats in was 1600 sq ft and we added another 400 so they wouldn't be too cramped.

So what's ya'lls thoughts on the subject? Risk PSL schools(treasure coast or centennial not PSLH) and if they blow sell off when our oldest graduates next year, and move or start off in the area with the best schools cause their education is important and we push it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 09:03 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Space coast >>>> treasure coast imo for overall feel and vibe. Schools in Brevard are some of the best in the state. West shore and Edgewood high schools are top 10 in the state, top 50 in the country. Plus you're an hour from the amenities of Orlando

Treasure coast just seems dingier, less stuff going on, farther away from major cities

Old 07-26-2015, 07:02 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I second Brevard County. It's less congested in it's populated areas, more laidback, friendlier people in my opinion and better schools. Satellite Beach is my specific recommendation given the conveniences it provides you and the quality of it's schools.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:44 PM

112 posts, read 259,528 times
Brevard county seems perfect for you guys, but may I recommend Tampa? I grew up on the east coast of Florida and I much prefer the vibe and look of the west coast. I recommend Tampa simply because of the MacDill AFB. Since you need to be close to a base for VA benefits. Nothing beats a Florida sunrise except a Florida sunset. If you loved in the Tampa bat area you would get a perfect sunset everyday. Either way, Welcome back to Florida!

Old 07-26-2015, 08:12 PM

228 posts, read 247,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothehilt View Post
Brevard county seems perfect for you guys, but may I recommend Tampa? I grew up on the east coast of Florida and I much prefer the vibe and look of the west coast. I recommend Tampa simply because of the MacDill AFB. Since you need to be close to a base for VA benefits. Nothing beats a Florida sunrise except a Florida sunset. If you loved in the Tampa bat area you would get a perfect sunset everyday. Either way, Welcome back to Florida!
Patrick AFB is on Satellite beach, and the main VA medical center is in orlanda between the two .

I prefer the east coast for the fishing and diving, I have land mobility issues but can swim/scuba decently still. Not to say that the gulf isn't great, we first looked at crystal river and sarasota/punta gorda etc. as we are for lack of a better term "country folk", up until disability stuff took over we managed a dairy goat/highland cattle hobby/homestead farm. Although no issues with living in the city as we were born/raised in jax/miami and atlanta.

My concerns for brevard are the cost of living and initial move in cost's for the smaller housing, cause if your not on merrit or sattelite etc. you loose the perk of the great schools and its back the average (not bad just average) schools. I dunno, nothing will be final until the ink is dry, 37 years old and this is the first move of our adult life that we get to decide were we are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida