Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 4,601 times

Advertisements

1st of all...i would like to know what all this nonsense is about? Why would Florida split into two states? Can someone answer this?

2nd of all...what are the chances of this and when would it happen?

Lastly..if this ever happened i think just chopping Florida in half and giving the northern parts to Georgia is the best option...after all, they say "the further north you go in florida the farther south the get!" .. i hope none of this happens though cause i live in daytona ..

^ Please answer those questions and provide citations ^

Here, i provided a little picture of what i am talking about to help illustrate--i made this quick graphic in photoshop assuming that they just want to chop off the panhandle and also tried to keep the natural form of each state. In fact, Georgia looks so similar to what it currently is, you might not even notice a change until you look at Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 02:48 PM

299 posts, read 377,535 times
It is not going to happen.. Southeast Florida (Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties) are different from most of the rest of Florida. Much like other states. Not saying good or bad, but politically, socially, and economically different.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:20 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
This is as likely as Long Island splitting off from New York, or California splitting into North and South, both initiatives that have been around for decades. Not only does it have to go through the state legislature it also has to be approved at the federal level.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:05 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
This is as likely as Long Island splitting off from New York, or California splitting into North and South, both initiatives that have been around for decades. Not only does it have to go through the state legislature it also has to be approved at the federal level.
Long Island would actually make sense considering the sheer size of the island.

The only realistic way for Florida to split would be to separate the panhandle from the peninsula.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:27 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,340,787 times
Its not going to happen.

It mostly comes from very far right on the political spectrum people that are suddenly realizing that the world isn't 100% white nor does it specifically cater to only certain Christians and their beliefs. Things like gay marriage scare them and they see it as an assault on their religion instead of seeing them trying to force THEIR beliefs on everyone else.

Anyway, the state isn't going to split.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:15 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,403 times
Funny, because a lot of the 'complaints' I read connected to the north/south divide (a topic that has spawned several threads on C-D) come from left-leaning residents of the southern tip (especially those who hail from the left-leaning, urban Northeast US), complaining that their interests aren't represented by the folks in Tallahassee. I think perhaps both sides launch into complaints when they don't get their way, which of course is perfectly acceptable in a two-party system.

I think varying points of view in governance is a source of strength, and not something we need to "cure" by splitting up. States (and even cities) where one party dominates all government tends to be less effective and has more corruption, debt, etc. because there aren't others around holding their feet to the fire and challenging them to be the best public servants they can be.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:15 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiTM2HQ0g98

Old 07-29-2015, 05:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Actually, it is mostly about South Florida trying to deal with global warming that is sinking it, and North Florida denying that global warming or even climate change is happening (and the idiot governor not even allowing the words to be uttered out loud). North Florida will not let it happen because South Florida drives the state economically. They'd rather watch it go under.

"They are ignoring South Florida. They are ignoring its environmental problems. The flow of money is still inequitable. We ship a lot of money north that doesn’t come south again," mayor Phillip Stoddard told the Miami Herald. “In my mind (the resolution) is calling really for recognition of the issues down here.”

Same old story as the rest of the country. Science vs. religion, but those with the scientific views are supporting those with the religious views.

South Miami revisits idea of making South Florida the 51st state | Miami Herald

South Florida Wants to Secede From North Florida - US News

Romano: Proposal for state of South Florida simply mirrors reality | Tampa Bay Times

Old 07-29-2015, 06:30 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,633 times
The panhandle can leave if it wants. But I actually like a lot of those small towns and cities in North Florida. Ocala, Gainsville, St. Augustine, and though it is the smallest of Florida's four large metros Jacksonville does have a lot of important companies headquartered there that benefit the rest of the state a lot. I wouldn't want those areas breaking off and leaving.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:45 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
^^^ N FL and the panhandle are the best areas of the state. Leave South FL as its own state.

But its not gonna happen, this has been talked about before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida