Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 02:21 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Have 8 of them in the cans above the kitchen and then realize how much heat it is adding to the room and then the HVAC kicking on to cool it down. It makes a huge difference over the year, when some people run their air conditioning 2/3 or so of the year here......particularly mid Florida south.
Most if not all of the heat from the recessed lights should be going into your attic. Have them in my house here and feel no heat coming out the bottom at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 09:46 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,530 times
You do not really know the full health affect on people, or what is really inside of these bulbs to be cheering. Also what is most people going to do with there savings? I will tell you what. They will just find something else to spend there money on. Even so what people should thinking is how the watts are measured instead of jumping to conclusions. I feel it would be an outrage for electrical prices to jump for SOME STRANGE MAKE EM FALSE REASON.

Back then in the early 1990's people had saved up to purchase houses. So we and they would just keep all of the lights off 24/7 hours a day. If nobody complained about electrical prices they will just keep sky rocketing. By that time another idiotic usage of lights will come about.

Keep in mind the chemicals you are bringing into your house along with the importing and selling out the dollar that is being done.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:51 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
What 'chemicals' are you referring to? One benefit of LED bulbs over CFL is the lack of mercury.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:36 AM

472 posts, read 547,600 times
Swapped out 6 of those bulbs from my kitchen with LED. I calculated that going from 6x65W to 6x10W bulbs at average of 5 hrs use per day, I save about $5.90/month or $72/yr. So it'll pay for itself after about 6 months and then after that...free steak dinner. Win win.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:44 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,665,222 times
When going for LED's always check the color temperature. I like to get ones that have close to an incandescent "color".

Old 08-04-2015, 05:59 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
When going for LED's always check the color temperature. I like to get ones that have close to an incandescent "color".
2700K is the best I find at full brightness. Philips makes a recessed bulb that when dimmed is around 2300K and really warm - that's the one I used all across my home.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:07 AM

264 posts, read 229,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
You do not really know the full health affect on people, or what is really inside of these bulbs to be cheering. Also what is most people going to do with there savings? I will tell you what. They will just find something else to spend there money on. Even so what people should thinking is how the watts are measured instead of jumping to conclusions. I feel it would be an outrage for electrical prices to jump for SOME STRANGE MAKE EM FALSE REASON.

Back then in the early 1990's people had saved up to purchase houses. So we and they would just keep all of the lights off 24/7 hours a day. If nobody complained about electrical prices they will just keep sky rocketing. By that time another idiotic usage of lights will come about.

Keep in mind the chemicals you are bringing into your house along with the importing and selling out the dollar that is being done.
LED lights have been used for years. Their popularity has just increased and we have found new and better ways to use them and cheaper ways to manufacture them. There is no more a health risk to them than there is a regular light bulb. They are probably better. And yes, if you use the lights in your house regularly, every day, they do indeed pay for themselves and then some in a short amount of time. I promise...the light bulb boogie man is a myth. He will not eat you...lol

Old 08-07-2015, 05:22 AM

350 posts, read 333,366 times
NPG, please check back on this subject when you get your first electric bill. Would like to know an estimate of how much you save. Have to tell you, though, when we visited the TECO plant at Apollo Beach in the winter and saw those magnificent manatees being warmed by the discharged warm water, it doesn't hurt me QUITE as much to pay the bill.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:11 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
Swapped out 6 of those bulbs from my kitchen with LED. I calculated that going from 6x65W to 6x10W bulbs at average of 5 hrs use per day, I save about $5.90/month or $72/yr. So it'll pay for itself after about 6 months and then after that...free steak dinner. Win win.
PLUS, less heat being pump into the kitchen...so less need for the air conditioning to run to cool it back down. That is where even more savings will be for us here.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:13 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indytoflgirl View Post
NPG, please check back on this subject when you get your first electric bill. Would like to know an estimate of how much you save. Have to tell you, though, when we visited the TECO plant at Apollo Beach in the winter and saw those magnificent manatees being warmed by the discharged warm water, it doesn't hurt me QUITE as much to pay the bill.
Will do. I look forward to seeing it myself. It is just one of many things I am trying to get done, to make things easier and less expensive for my wife. Making the best of it as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: