U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2006, 02:56 PM

38 posts, read 178,727 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both in our early 30s, do not have children yet. We both grew up in Florida - he in Miami Beach, I grew up in St. Pete. After college (UF in G'ville) we moved to Atlanta because we thought we wanted out of Florida. We have lived in Duluth (about 30 mins north of Atl) for 6 years now and are ready to get the heck out of GA. I am not here to complain about GA so I will just say that we want to be closer to the water (we miss the beach terribly and a 4 hr drive is just too far for us) and would like to live in an area that is not like GA. We are tired of the new home subdivisions, lack of culture, strip malls, etc. Plus, our familes still live in Florida which is a huge deciding factor. If they lived anywhere else, Florida would probably not be on the top of our list. I am not really sure if Jax would work for us because it seems like it might be similar to Atlanta and we just aren't that happy here. We do not want to live in Miami or Tampa. We are looking for a great culture, decent beaches within a 30 min drive, numerous activities, art scene, great restaurants and hopefully an area that we can afford. Our current home was $209,000 so lower 200s would be an option for us assuming we make comparable incomes. We have been thinking about West Palm Beach but I am a little concerned about housing prices there, we probably wouldn't buy right away but would eventually purchase another home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 05:29 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,230,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellydance2290 View Post
My husband and I are both in our early 30s, do not have children yet. We both grew up in Florida - he in Miami Beach, I grew up in St. Pete. After college (UF in G'ville) we moved to Atlanta because we thought we wanted out of Florida. We have lived in Duluth (about 30 mins north of Atl) for 6 years now and are ready to get the heck out of GA. I am not here to complain about GA so I will just say that we want to be closer to the water (we miss the beach terribly and a 4 hr drive is just too far for us) and would like to live in an area that is not like GA. We are tired of the new home subdivisions, lack of culture, strip malls, etc. Plus, our familes still live in Florida which is a huge deciding factor. If they lived anywhere else, Florida would probably not be on the top of our list. I am not really sure if Jax would work for us because it seems like it might be similar to Atlanta and we just aren't that happy here. We do not want to live in Miami or Tampa. We are looking for a great culture, decent beaches within a 30 min drive, numerous activities, art scene, great restaurants and hopefully an area that we can afford. Our current home was $209,000 so lower 200s would be an option for us assuming we make comparable incomes. We have been thinking about West Palm Beach but I am a little concerned about housing prices there, we probably wouldn't buy right away but would eventually purchase another home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Letís see if we can help. Based on your desires Central/South Miami is out of the question (you answered your own questions). Don't want Jville too close to Georgia. What is available is Northwest Florida and the state capital.

What you ask for is available at both locations. But if you want a bit less crowded cities look at Fort Walton Beach, Navarre, Pensacola or Destin. These cities do provide all you want within 30 to 60 minute drive from each other. What you don't find in one is available in the next town.

If you want a bit more relax area look at Pace, Milton, Jay, Bonifay or Crestview. Still within range to the beach from 30 to 90 minutes and they also have some of your desires.

Housing/homeowners insurance is less expensive, schools are rated A+ (but we do have a few that need to improve), jobs are available (benchmark your skills via career.com or USAjobs).

Hurricanes, we got hit and did lots of damage on the beach, but not bad inland. My house is 6 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and we did not have a claim.

The key to a successful relocation is to do your research, ensure that the locale that you want to move is what you want, and become part of the community. Check the other posts for the town listed above.

Good Luck...

Old 11-15-2006, 08:24 AM

I think North Florida is going to be too much like Georgia/Alabama. I've heard people call the panhandle Floribama. That scares me, I really like a more metropolitan area or atleast easy access to one. I also hated Tallahassee years ago when I visited to look at Florida State. So, I guess we will need to reconsider where we move. One of our biggest "wants" is to be near the water so maybe we will look into the VA Beach area. I think West Palm is going to be too expensive for us. We have also grown to love the change of seasons that we experience here in Atlanta.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:47 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,752,062 times
What you want doesn't exist anymore. Double your income and move back to Florida, then you're dreams will come true.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:50 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,339,689 times
I don't know if you have been here in 6 years but Tallrick is right . Its not the way it was.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:18 AM

We've decided to move back home to St. Pete. The Tampa Bay area has almost everything we are looking for (except the change of seasons). We can always travel to the mountains once a year though to see the leaves change I know alot of people are negative about Florida but the housing prices were less than what we have been looking at in Atlanta and in a better location, of course the homeowners will be higher but that is to be expected and we will just have to plan around that.
Thanks for all the replies!

Old 11-27-2006, 03:49 PM

6 posts, read 41,835 times
Well, bellydancer I have to agree with sunrico about the panhandle. It is a great place to live. Lots of small quiet communities with alot to do. It's slower paced and no one is running their legs off trying to get to point A. I live in St Pete now and am disappointed at the way it is going. They are building up the downtown area, but they are also tearing down old buildings for Condo's. This part of Florida has become the Condo State, oh I know that I say that about this area and that it is happening all over the state, but here it is like the plague. I have been to Fort Walton, Destin and believe me when I say those folks there know what Florida living is. They have put their foot down and said NO, and some have said YES but they know when to say enought is enough. I realize that there will be some readers of this post that think I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. I maybe. But it is sad that the normal american family is being ran out of Florida for the sake of the all mighty dollar. I know I have closed a few hotels on this coast, all for Condo's. What is next? Good luck to you and yours bellydancer. And welcome home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or