U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,962 times

Advertisements

Okay everyone...

In light of the upcoming Amendment 1 vote, i'd like to get a discussion going here that focuses specifically on State and Local Spending in Florida- spending that is clearly wasteful, spending that is not what most honest people would consider spending that is on services that fall within the legitimate functions of our local government(s). Yes, I am sure there will be ample disagreement here, but let's try to be as specific as possible, rather than merely stating somesuch as, "Public Education Spending". Give me instances of what specific expenditure(s) are wasteful within Public Education Spending, or any other concern of state/local government.

Far too often you hear naysayers say that if we cut property taxes, children won't be educated, fire/ambulence response times will go up, puppies will die, etc., etc. However, we know for a fact that property tax levels have more than doubled in the past nine years, nearly 3x as fast as the growth in both population and inflation growth. Local governments, for good measure, have also increased special assessments and impact fees which further our collective tax debt, and suffice to say, local governments have treated all this revenue as a windfall to be spent.

What I want to document for the record are specific programs/expenditures that are wasteful uses of our taxpayer dollars, either at the state level or the county level. I have previously seen commentors on citydata.com document individual instances of wasteful spending by Florida counties, but let's generate a master list of waste across the board, so more people can have facts at their disposal when discussing these issues with people who merely want to defend the status quo. Have at it, folks!

Last edited by yankeegator; 01-26-2008 at 09:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 10:16 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,400,693 times
The one thing--that might be cut back--that appeals to me is public transportation. Towns of any real size, and cities benefit from public transportation. Bradenton, a small city, has a public transportation system that I used for about a year before I bought my girlfriend a car. I had no problems with it, and still use it on occasion. But if it's half a mile or less, I'll just walk. I've walked up to 5 miles, but if public transportation IS available, I would rather not do it on a daily basis. (Though I've done so).

I don't own property, so I don't care if they raise your taxes.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:43 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,305,072 times
In Florida? Unfortunately, a significant chunk of waste may be due to illegalities, such as bid-rigging on public works projects. Your former AG and current governor - Charlie Crist - went kind of easy on that stuff, for some reason...

Old 01-26-2008, 11:34 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,808,765 times
I believe that up to 50% of tax money is wasted. There are WAY too many Government employers, especially high-paid worthless supervisors. Unlike real business, there is simply no incentive to become more efficient. They did better in 1957 with less money than in 2007 with souped-up tax revenue. That windfall seems to have been wasted on things like 4-way stops and traffic circles, which decrease the quality of life, not enhance it.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:53 AM

497 posts, read 1,397,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The one thing--that might be cut back--that appeals to me is public transportation. Towns of any real size, and cities benefit from public transportation. Bradenton, a small city, has a public transportation system that I used for about a year before I bought my girlfriend a car. I had no problems with it, and still use it on occasion. But if it's half a mile or less, I'll just walk. I've walked up to 5 miles, but if public transportation IS available, I would rather not do it on a daily basis. (Though I've done so).

I don't own property, so I don't care if they raise your taxes.
If you rent you still pay property taxes. It's figured in your rent. If property taxes go up...so will your rent. So you better care if they raise your taxes.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:57 AM

74 posts, read 317,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I believe that up to 50% of tax money is wasted. There are WAY too many Government employers, especially high-paid worthless supervisors. Unlike real business, there is simply no incentive to become more efficient. They did better in 1957 with less money than in 2007 with souped-up tax revenue. That windfall seems to have been wasted on things like 4-way stops and traffic circles, which decrease the quality of life, not enhance it.
I've been with the federal govt for nearly forty-two years now (20 Air Force and 22 FAA) and I agree with you 100%. I've always said the same thing about the inefficient spending and the number of useless and inefficient employees in the federal work force. We have more managers than we need as well as employees and the managers spend your tax dollars like it was monopoly money. We could easily trim the federal budget by 40% or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or