U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:37 PM

5,314 posts, read 8,144,006 times

Advertisements

I don't follow the logic of that last line. If traffic is inching along, the move over law is already, in effect, being followed. You move over or you go slower than the speed limit by 20 mph. It is so simple that I can't understand how anyone can have a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 03:15 PM

22,795 posts, read 19,238,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

They refuse to make it a primary offense to text while driving, they refuse to make the left lane on the interstate for passing,
The texting while driving is a super important law. Why won't your government make it illegal?

The outer most left hand lane is not the only lane you are "supposed" to pass in? You mean Miss Leadfoot here can be passed by on ANY lane? No wonder there are so many accidents. Good to know.

Gee, the more I read in this forum, the more boggled my brain gets! Who elects these officials?

Old 09-05-2015, 10:32 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,874,554 times
I always pull over when I hear a siren or see an ambulance or other emergency vehicle. I thought that was the law wherever you live. The "move over" law that's the subject of this thread is addressing emergency vehicles that are parked along the road.

The reason I said the law didn't make sense isn't because I don't slow down or move to the left. It's because I never understood why we need a law to make licensed drivers use common sense. Actually, when I see any vehicle on the side of the road I use extra caution. However, sometimes it's not possible to safely pull over to the left.

Last edited by justNancy; 09-05-2015 at 10:45 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 10:45 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,874,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I don't follow the logic of that last line. If traffic is inching along, the move over law is already, in effect, being followed. You move over or you go slower than the speed limit by 20 mph. It is so simple that I can't understand how anyone can have a problem with it.
Yes, it sounds simple, but maybe it's a matter of interpretation. If traffic is creeping along on the right hand lane while there is an emergency vehicle stopped, the cars are still supposed to move over to the left lane. At first it seems like an either/or rule, that is, either slow down or move over. However, that's not the way it is stated. Not only does the driver of the vehicle in the right lane need to move over (or decide if it's safe to do so) but the driver in the left lane has to be prepared to allow a vehicle in the right lane to pull in front of him. I don't have a problem with the law, but if a driver is fined and says "but I didn't feel safe," who determines this?

[url=http://www.dmvflorida.org/move-over-law.shtml]Move Over Law | Florida DMV[/url]

Move Over Law Summary

On Multi-Lane Roads
Drivers must vacate the lane closest to the stationary emergency vehicle, tow truck, sanitation, or utility vehicle.
Drivers must slow down to a speed of 20 mph below the posted speed limit if they cannot move over safely.
Drivers who are not in the lane closest to the stationary vehicle should be prepared to allow those who are to move over into their lane.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, it sounds simple, but maybe it's a matter of interpretation. If traffic is creeping along on the right hand lane while there is an emergency vehicle stopped, the cars are still supposed to move over to the left lane. At first it seems like an either/or rule, that is, either slow down or move over. However, that's not the way it is stated. Not only does the driver of the vehicle in the right lane need to move over (or decide if it's safe to do so) but the driver in the left lane has to be prepared to allow a vehicle in the right lane to pull in front of him. I don't have a problem with the law, but if a driver is fined and says "but I didn't feel safe," who determines this?

Move Over Law | Florida DMV

Move Over Law Summary

On Multi-Lane Roads
Drivers must vacate the lane closest to the stationary emergency vehicle, tow truck, sanitation, or utility vehicle.
Drivers must slow down to a speed of 20 mph below the posted speed limit if they cannot move over safely.
Drivers who are not in the lane closest to the stationary vehicle should be prepared to allow those who are to move over into their lane.
I just do not understand what the problem is with this new law you Floridians are discussing so much! It's just a way of life for me.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:32 AM

422 posts, read 301,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I just do not understand what the problem is with this new law you Floridians are discussing so much! It's just a way of life for me.
they cant grasp basic traffic concepts, imagine millions of these people on the road...

everytime it drizzles hundreds of people turn on their flashers although it's strictly prohibited by law

Old 09-06-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
they cant grasp basic traffic concepts, imagine millions of these people on the road...

everytime it drizzles hundreds of people turn on their flashers although it's strictly prohibited by law
Oh, they do? That's silly. Just turn your lights on! No need for flashers unless you get caught up in the worst rain you have ever seen on I10 and couldn't even see the side of the road, tailgating a semi's lights for direction! If he went off, so wasn't I! Before the rain started I saw the tornado up ahead in the distance. Hope I never experience that again! If I do this week on my road trip down there, I will be sorely tested NOT to put the flashers on.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:29 AM

422 posts, read 301,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh, they do? That's silly. Just turn your lights on! No need for flashers unless you get caught up in the worst rain you have ever seen on I10 and couldn't even see the side of the road, tailgating a semi's lights for direction! If he went off, so wasn't I! Before the rain started I saw the tornado up ahead in the distance. Hope I never experience that again! If I do this week on my road trip down there, I will be sorely tested NOT to put the flashers on.
have a safe trip! if someone engages you in road rage just be the bigger person thats also another issue down here oh and make sure you know what your auto insurance covers before you leave as a precaution. 1 out of every 4 drivers are uninsured and hit n runs are not uncommon.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:41 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,056,113 times
On a sort-of related note, I wish more people understood that it's also illegal to accelerate while being passed by another vehicle (or worse yet, move to block them from doing so). This is a huge problem. I can't tell you how many times I've been behind somebody who is going 10-20mph under the posted limit and, when I signal and move to pass them, they either slam their pedal to the floor or veer into the lane I am passing in, in an effort to prevent the pass from happening.

Seven years ago my brother-in-law had to literally use his truck to take such a person right off of the road to avoid behind hit by an 18-wheeler head-on because the traffic that was behind him in the original lane had also accelerated and he could not get back into the lane or swerve to the left. The individual who he took off the road ended up plowing through a fence on a horse property and hitting a tree. Their passenger suffered significant injury and the driver was arrested for felony reckless driving, possession of a controlled substance, driving with a suspended license, and driving without insurance. Literally the only things good to come of the ordeal was the fact that there were no fatalities, lifelong crippling injuries, and a maniac was removed from the road.

The above story is precisely why I hate wannabe 'tough guys' and/or folks who attempt to play the role of roadway police: they ultimately create or amplify danger.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:48 AM

9,699 posts, read 6,985,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Driving slow in left lane could get you a ticket in Florida | jacksonville.com

"The bills in the Legislature would require slower drivers to move over "if the driver knows, or reasonably should know, that he or she is being overtaken in that lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed.""
The linked article refers to a bill in progress, I would have to look it up to see if it was ever signed into law.

That said, I only use the left lane as it was intended, for passing a slower car or when I need to make a left turn or exit off an expressway that is coming up. I don't hang out in the left lane, although I know too many drivers do just that. Those drivers I referred to in my last post slalom at high speed in and out of traffic and they switch lanes suddenly and without warning, anywhere they see a half an opening that they think will gain them a foot or two in front of the other traffic. They use any lane, I have seen them cross several lanes of traffic in front of other vehicles when they see an opening say, in the far right lane when they were, for the moment, in the left lane, or vice versa. So they will come up behind another driver in any (and every) lane they happen to be in, and act as though they expect those drivers to get out of their way. As I said, safety is first, and I really don't give a ratz ***** about bruising the overblown egoes of these driving freaks by their having to slow down to the going traffic speed for a moment, I know they are unpredictable, and as soon as I might see an opening in the next lane I could move over into to get out of their way, they will have swung out suddenly into that lane themselves, with no warning. So when I see that type of driver behind me, I will stay where I am.

I drove all over Southeast Florida when I was working, and thus spent a lot of time on expressways. I have lost count of the number of times I saw people driving like that who lost control of their vehicles and spun out, ending southbound in the northbound lanes or vice versa or in the medians if they were lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or