U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 10:57 AM

9,684 posts, read 6,971,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, it sounds simple, but maybe it's a matter of interpretation. If traffic is creeping along on the right hand lane while there is an emergency vehicle stopped, the cars are still supposed to move over to the left lane. At first it seems like an either/or rule, that is, either slow down or move over. However, that's not the way it is stated. Not only does the driver of the vehicle in the right lane need to move over (or decide if it's safe to do so) but the driver in the left lane has to be prepared to allow a vehicle in the right lane to pull in front of him. I don't have a problem with the law, but if a driver is fined and says "but I didn't feel safe," who determines this?

Move Over Law | Florida DMV

Move Over Law Summary

On Multi-Lane Roads
Drivers must vacate the lane closest to the stationary emergency vehicle, tow truck, sanitation, or utility vehicle.
Drivers must slow down to a speed of 20 mph below the posted speed limit if they cannot move over safely.
Drivers who are not in the lane closest to the stationary vehicle should be prepared to allow those who are to move over into their lane.
Well, if traffic is creeping along, those drivers in the right lane are probably already traveling at 20 MPH or below the posted speed limit, so other than just being careful they don't come too close to the vehicles or people in the safety lanes, they should be ok. No one is going to expect people to move over into the left lane, if it is bumper to bumper traffic in all lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 01:22 PM

5,312 posts, read 8,131,308 times
So here is the actual section of the statute:

(b) If an authorized emergency vehicle displaying any visual signals is parked on the roadside, a sanitation vehicle is performing a task related to the provision of sanitation services on the roadside, a utility service vehicle is performing a task related to the provision of utility services on the roadside, or a wrecker displaying amber rotating or flashing lights is performing a recovery or loading on the roadside, the driver of every other vehicle, as soon as it is safe:1. Shall vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle, sanitation vehicle, utility service vehicle, or wrecker when driving on an interstate highway or other highway with two or more lanes traveling in the direction of the emergency vehicle, sanitation vehicle, utility service vehicle, or wrecker, except when otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer. If such movement cannot be safely accomplished, the driver shall reduce speed as provided in subparagraph 2.
2. Shall slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or greater; or travel at 5 miles per hour when the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less, when driving on a two-lane road, except when otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer.

I see no ambiguity here and it is not a matter of interpretation. You either move over safely to an outer lane or you slow down to 20mph below the speed limit in the situations we have been discussing. It couldn't be much clearer.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:07 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,862,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, if traffic is creeping along, those drivers in the right lane are probably already traveling at 20 MPH or below the posted speed limit, so other than just being careful they don't come too close to the vehicles or people in the safety lanes, they should be ok. No one is going to expect people to move over into the left lane, if it is bumper to bumper traffic in all lanes.
Yes, that makes sense. Guess I'm just playing devil's advocate, although I've seen some pretty crazy drivers on the road. Sometimes it just takes one person and then everyone starts to follow. Example: one late afternoon I turned onto the ramp to I-75 and noticed cars driving in the other direction. For a split second I thought "OMG! I'm going the wrong way." But it turned out that there was a bad traffic jam that went on for miles and people wanted to get off, so they turned around on I-75 and were taking the on ramp to get off the highway. I chose to sit in traffic and crawl along. Traffic began to move very slowly and after a while, whatever was causing the congestion cleared (probably an accident) and it was smooth sailing. I'll never forget seeing cars driving the opposite way on I-75 to get out of a traffic jam. Of course, people who back up because they missed an exit don't think they're doing anything wrong either, so maybe I'm the crazy one.

I've only gotten 2 tickets for minor moving violations since 1994, and I've spent the majority of the last 21 years in Florida, so I'm not worried, but some of the people who were in my safe driving class were frightening. I guess most people take those courses online today, but it wasn't an option back then.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:42 PM

22,772 posts, read 19,218,225 times
People have to take safe driving classes? Or is that only if you get a ticket?

Oh, I see Florida is going to be such fun driving around! NOT????

Old 09-06-2015, 11:57 PM

17,885 posts, read 17,734,957 times
Slow drivers in the fast/passing lane are the main cause of road rage and I think this law is great.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:31 AM

422 posts, read 301,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Slow drivers in the fast/passing lane are the main cause of road rage and I think this law is great.
Nice assumption proven by nothing. The MAIN cause of road rage is egomaniacs that cant control their little tempers.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
People have to take safe driving classes? Or is that only if you get a ticket?

Oh, I see Florida is going to be such fun driving around! NOT????
Safe driving classes are an option in Florida if you get a moving violation ticket. If you pay the fine, and attend an approved driver's improvement class, you don't get the points against your license that you would otherwise when you get that ticket. I think the state has a lifetime maxiumum number of classes one can attend in a lifetime, and only one class a year ( or maybe it is every two years, I forget), can count for wiping out points for traffic violatations, so someone can't just keep getting tickets repeatedly and expect the points against their license to be wiped out every time they get tickets.

Driving in Florida can be hair-raising or not, depending on the location. If you are driving in southeast Florida, there are a lot of people who drive as though traffic laws don't apply to them, they drive wrecklessly and aggressively, and at high speeds. The other problem is that with the population density of this area, the traffic is very heavy and considering that maybe the number of wreckless drivers are a constant proportion of the population so there are more of them in a densely populated area. I suspect that as the population in other areas of Florida grows ( thinking Orlando and the Tampa area), driving habits among thepopulations there might well become more like southeast Florida, but my experience has been mostly in southeast Florida since I lived there for so long.

I now live in a more rural area in Florida, and except for when the population explodes in the winter due to snowbirds, the driving isn't bad at all here.

You can drive anywhere in Florida, really, and likely you will be ok, with a few things in mind if you are driving in one of those areas. It' s the same thing they teach you in driver safety classes. You drive with as little distraction as possible, meaning no phones, no texting, both hands on the wheel and your attention on the road and what is around you. If you can scan the road ahead of you, as far as you can see, you might well be able to anticipate something coming up and act to avoid it before it becomes a problem. You scan your rearview mirror as well, so often you can see those wreckless drivers coming up, to be aware of what is on the road and act defensively if you need to. The other thing I always did was to do my best to maintain a safe distance between my vehicle and the other traffic- very hard I know due to other drivers who rush to fill up that space between you and the car in front of you, slalomers show up out of nowhere, cut into that space as they shoehorn their way through the traffic to get ahead. But you do your best.

It is work, for sure, in those areas.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:52 AM

10,576 posts, read 10,803,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Nice assumption proven by nothing. The MAIN cause of road rage is egomaniacs that cant control their little tempers.
Except the fact that more and more states are passing this LAW. You sound like part of the problem

Pay Up, Slowpokes: More States Fine Drivers Who Dawdle in the Left Lane - NBC News

Old 09-07-2015, 11:37 AM

17,885 posts, read 17,734,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Tempers from people driving in the passing/fast lane even after having passed 10 signs saying, "slower traffic keep right"

Old 09-07-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Except, as has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, that is not the intent of the Move Over Law.

The law was not meant as a "get the hell out of my way, slowpoke", rule for those driving wrecklessly and pi $$ed at other drivers observing posted speed limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or