U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 06:55 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,203,256 times

Advertisements

Pull up any of the NYC supermarkets on the internet and have a Publix weekly flyer and comparison shop. Some chains have "shop on line" services so u can punch in your shopping list to compare prices.

Do you have any idea what a house goes for there?
Zillow as a house, Woodhaven Queens. 3bed, 2 bath,1560 sq ft. $515,000, built in 1930.

Apartments in Brooklyn run $500k plus. Rent in Brooklyn average $3k a month. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1420948

That's $36k a year.

My average electric bill here is $175 in summer. I run 2 pond pumps 24/7, a tropical fish tank with 2 power filters and air pump 24/7, ac is 78 degrees. Electric water heater. My water, sewer and trash bill is average $50 a month. 2 cars insured - $82.50 a month. Cheapest gas NYC -$2.27. New York City Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in New York

The closet dentist who actually lists prices is in Norwalk, CT. https://www.aspendental.com/pricing-...icing-near-you

You really should abandon your dream of life in FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired11 View Post
To compare the cost of living online is something I did to. It was an error.

Groceries 27%less........false, groceries are about 20% to 30% higher here, easy. That claim of 27% less is really beyond
........absurd. Winn Dixie is the most affordable I have found.
Housing 83%less..........83% is fantasy.....about 40% cheaper for an average family of 4 (rent). To own you get more
...........house but they still aren't cheap here.
...........but 83% not true, like NY depends on the neighborhood.
Utilities 24%less...........I paid electric in NY of $262 to $313 a month ..here $399 to $462 (but no oil bill $)(AC used 24/7
...........here too) water bill in NY was about $150 to $200 for the entire year.....here about $100 with no
...........topping off pool or lawn watering (water lawn or fill pool $400 here)
Transportation18%less..LIRR was about $180 month years ago and is now close to $300, , gas about same.....car insurance
..........about $700 higher here for family of 4 drivers.
Health Care 19%less.....My dentist charges more than NY by $30 for almost everything.....My NY plans are not accepted here

Cost of living surprisingly averages out across America.....you just get hit by different agencies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 06:58 PM

22,061 posts, read 9,375,156 times
There are jobs in South Florida. Quite a lot of opportunities from Ft. Lauderdale up to West Palm.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 AM

15,112 posts, read 31,000,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I'm starting to think you're not retired but are just trolling.

This ^^^. We all need to put this dude on "ignore." When someone spews nothing but BS, you know they are trolling. Every single one of his posts are purely to "stir the pot" and he thinks he is so clever and funny while doing it.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:05 AM

163 posts, read 107,098 times
Sorry, facts hurt. The realtors that are on this board simply keep spewing the Florida is so inexpensive. Posts saying how low everything is are simply lies.

Fact, salaries here are terrible. Fact, water bills here are terrible. Electric rates don't even have off peak usage. Car insurance rates are higher. Food higher.

I think we need more New Yorkers to come down here and straighten this mess out.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:09 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,042,167 times
Quote:
Sorry, facts hurt. The realtors that are on this board simply keep spewing the Florida is so inexpensive. Posts saying how low everything is are simply lies.

Fact, salaries here are terrible. Fact, water bills here are terrible. Electric rates don't even have off peak usage. Car insurance rates are higher. Food higher.

I think we need more New Yorkers to come down here and straighten this mess out.
I've never seen a job here that paid more than $12 an hour.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Can you point out these posts staring how in expensive FL is. Lower cost of living does not mean inexpensive. Go to the Con Ed site and get the per KW hour rate. It is more than 25 cents per kwh.
Duke Energy is about 10 cents per kwh including the fuel charge.

You make very broad statements without providing any facts. Since you have been proven wrong on pizza, bagels and the DMV your posts constitute lies, all lies.

I really think you should pack it up and get on I-95 north until you see the NYC skyline and stay there. It is so much cheaper there, everything you want is there so why be here? Find yourself a nice $3,000 a month 1 bedroom apartment and really get to enjoy your retirement.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:21 AM

163 posts, read 107,098 times
What lies? I simply stated what I paid.....I also noted I didn't pay oil bills here and my AC runs 24x7.....then I noted there is no off peak usage here. Perhaps, you should read more carefully.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:54 AM

I was showing u the cost of electricity is much lower here than NYC. If your a/c system is running 24/7, you have a serious insulation problem, doors leaking air and windows that need caulking or perhaps you have it set for 70 degrees.
My system is always "on" but the thermostat switches the compressor on and off to keep the chosen temperature.

The lie is that you are stating the cost of living is higher here than NYC area. You also state there are no jobs in FL which is incorrect. You stated there are no bagels or pizza and when shown there is and where to find it u donr have the decency to say thanks for the info. There are very few real estate people on this forum and nobody is selling a house here. Check ANY cost of living calculator and you will never find one that ANY FL city has a higher COL than NYC.

Most electric companies have off peak rates. Ask your local provider if they do.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
$12 an hour is on the high side for what uneducated people with no skills get paid.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:20 PM

17,878 posts, read 17,716,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
All my friends in Orlando make over $40,000, the highest making around $90,000. These are friends with jobs too, not business owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or