Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 05:09 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I think public schools should teach a humanity/mortality course that must be passed as well. We seem to be moving away from seeing people as people in favor of seeing them as the salary they earn, the car they drive, the clothing they wear, or the individual causes they do or do not believe in. That's precisely why there's no longer a stigma associated with treating the average stranger like $h1t... so long as we can find something about them we envy, dislike, or disagree with. Folks are no longer measured by the extent of their character, but rather, by the extent of another person's biases. This is very dangerous in my opinion.
Honestly, I think schools are going over the top on political correctness. My GF is current in college. I graduated in 2010. The trend is definitely going so far as to mandating teaching racism among Blacks, Asians, Hispanics in current society. My GF is Asian and even she says the stuff they say about racism against Asians is going so over the top that it's getting quite destructive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 06:34 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yup. Many just don't use common sense. By the way, my husband has a fantastic high paying job in Tampa. We actually looked at California a few years ago and the SAME job in both LA and San Fran. paid LESS! Yes, less! And the cost of living was about 4x higher. No thanks! Plus we get to live here in gorgeous Sarasota in a (modest) house in a waterfront neighborhood (bordering Sarasota Bay) for under $200,000 - same house in a similar nabe in CA over a mil, easy......
This is baloney! There is no way a similar job pays less in LA and San Fran. You must be comparing two different jobs. IIRC, your husband is a county or city architect. There is no way he gets paid less for the same job in those cities. Ain't gonna happen!

Old 09-09-2015, 07:26 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Dont take what the Orlando Slantinel says as gospel.

The US Census reports that 16.3 % of Floridians live in poverty. National rate is
15.4%
I wrote that 1 in 6 people live in poverty and gave the Herald-Tribune (Sarasota) as a source. You came back to tell me, no, it's really not that high, it's 16.3% according to the U.S. Census.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:26 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
This is baloney! There is no way a similar job pays less in LA and San Fran. You must be comparing two different jobs. IIRC, your husband is a county or city architect. There is no way he gets paid less for the same job in those cities. Ain't gonna happen!
I don't give a crap if you believe me or not. We checked and that was the reality.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:08 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I wrote that 1 in 6 people live in poverty and gave the Herald-Tribune (Sarasota) as a source. You came back to tell me, no, it's really not that high, it's 16.3% according to the U.S. Census.
It's not worth the aggravation. It's always the same people on this forum who have zero absorption rate of fact and continue to regurgitate the same stereotypes/distorted reality over and over again. Like anything if you see it or repeat it enough, it becomes "the truth".

It's worked wonders for organized religion and FoxNews.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not worth the aggravation. It's always the same people on this forum who have zero absorption rate of fact and continue to regurgitate the same stereotypes/distorted reality over and over again. Like anything if you see it or repeat it enough, it becomes "the truth".

It's worked wonders for organized religion and FoxNews.
Thanks for your response. The only reason I wrote post #53 was to point out that 1 in 6 is the same as 16%.

It would be like writing "the average temperature this month was 8.2% higher than normal" and another poster responds "Nah, it only reached 93F this month and it's usually 86."

If this were the political forum, I would elaborate on your last sentence. However, I will say "Yup, I know exactly what you mean."

Last edited by justNancy; 09-10-2015 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-11-2015, 05:54 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Oh, I know that's partly true. When I lived in MA and NH, I took various courses after work. One professor at UNH told me she had a PhD in Philosophy and couldn't get a good job anywhere.

But you make it sound as if someone with a Master's Degree in History or a PhD in Art or Music is a lazy bum. It's sad to think that's the direction our country has taken, but it's true. People these days hear the William Tell Overture and think of the Lone Ranger. Take a walk some day and ask people to name just 5 inventors or Founding Fathers. Most people can't name the planets or know the state capitals. I bet a lot of people think the person who invented the telephone was named Cell.
You could have 10 PhDs in philosophy, Art appreciation or Music but that doesn't make you employable in the real world unless you plan on becoming a college professor. Obviously, these people aren't lazy, they just don't have skills that companies need.

The reality of the real world is, unless you bring skills that provide value to an employer, you're not worth employing.

Parents do their kids a disservice by allowing them to get a degree in some fruit loop major.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:57 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I think public schools should teach a humanity/mortality course that must be passed as well. We seem to be moving away from seeing people as people in favor of seeing them as the salary they earn, the car they drive, the clothing they wear, or the individual causes they do or do not believe in. That's precisely why there's no longer a stigma associated with treating the average stranger like $h1t... so long as we can find something about them we envy, dislike, or disagree with. Folks are no longer measured by the extent of their character, but rather, by the extent of another person's biases. This is very dangerous in my opinion.
Character doesn't pay the mortgage. Doing better than the next guy does. Regardless of whether you think that's right or wrong, that's the truth.

As the saying goes, when the going gets tough.....

Old 09-11-2015, 09:31 AM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Character doesn't pay the mortgage. Doing better than the next guy does. Regardless of whether you think that's right or wrong, that's the truth.

As the saying goes, when the going gets tough.....
"Doing better than the next guy" is fine when it's based upon healthy and honest competition. However, screwing (whether literal or figurative) better than the next guy is the model increasingly embraced. The latter becomes a national security issue over time when adopted as the prevailing way of life.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:29 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:

The rate here is one percentage point over the national poverty rate. I am not saying FL is a super state with no poverty, but it is in line with the rest of the country. We have about 3mil out of 20mil in poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida