Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 04:32 PM

22 posts, read 116,620 times

Advertisements

What are you from? Germantown section of Philadelphia
Where in Florida are you moving? Port St Lucie, FL 34953
What attracts you to Florida? Needed a change from Killadelphia, love the beaches, like the central location of PSL close enough yet far enough from Big cities.
What research did you do or have already done to pick your city or location? I got hired to work in Ft Pierce, chose to work there as opposed to Miami, asked friends in law enforcement did research on crime rate.
Did you spend time in that town in person? Yes, we came down to look at houses, and I had a drive through 6 months before that.
Did you communicate with people who live their personally? My new boss lives in Martin County, he gave me a lot of insight regarding the area and where NOT to live. Also put me in touch with a great buyer's agent/realtor in Stuart, and I searched for myself online too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 PM

88 posts, read 201,188 times
Default Help

What are you from? Memphis, TN

Where in Florida are you moving? Thinking about destin area/ tampa maybe

What attracts you to Florida? The Beach, Not Memphis

What research did you do or have already done to pick your city or location? Reading lots of threads on here, checking other websites talking to friends who have lived in Fl

Did you spend time in that town in person? I've only been to pensacola it seemed a bit country but i loved the beach.

Did you communicate with people who live their personally? Only people who have lived there in the past. That's why I'm here

So any info about where I should checkout would be helpful. I am young w/o alot of money to blow on a house or apt. but don't want to live in the hood either...

Old 04-04-2008, 12:59 PM

21 posts, read 68,028 times
Hi all,

My husband and I plan on moving our family to Central Florida from Detroit Michigan by Jan 2009. Our children are 6,9,15. I have searched this forum heavily and I am still unsure where we should locate. Some many people have me so confused as to what to do. We are attracted to Florida because it is so beautiful and clean. I love palm trees.
Not sure if I will be able to handle the heat but I do know that I am tired of the cold/snow/ and housing.

I want to continue the city life somewhat, but not be in a very slow area where theres nothing going on. I need to be by things my children can do, good schools, shopping, and Walmart/Target.

We are looking to rent to make sure we are happy in Florida. My max rent I am willing to spend is $1300 for 4 bedroom 2 bath.

The housing market is very bad here and trying to sell our house is a concern for us.

Crime isn't a huge factor for me since I do live in Detroit and have been here all my life, but I would like to avoid the areas that seem to attract the drug dealers and other criminals.
neighborhoods suitable for my family

Signed, don't know where to go.......................

Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 PM

24 posts, read 73,782 times
I actually just moved from Tampa Bay Florida to Cleveland TN. I moved for several reasons. One reason was for my 15 year old son. We felt a smaller cummunity would be better to raise him in. I didnt want to have to send him to a public high school in a big city. We could no longer could afford a house payment, taxes and Insurance making a good salary. We didnt look foward to the long commutes to work or anywhere for that matter. It was very stressfull to fight the traffic everyday. We now are 5 min a way from everything.

I forgot what a small town felt like and how its ok to talk to strangers. We have met more people here then we did the whole time we lived in Florida. Florida is not for everyone. If you are use to a big fast pace life, then its the place to be. I missed the season changes. I dont miss the heat. Florida has alot to offer. Beaches are wonderful and so is the landscape. I just wish things didnt get out of control with the property taxes and insurance premiums. It effected alot of people. I hope for those who decide to move to Florida, they understand the cost, traffic, and weather.

For us I am happy we moved to TN.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:30 PM

20 posts, read 97,486 times
What are you from?
Originally, Chi-Town AKA North Side of Chicago. Deep Dish HEAVEN! Lovers of all things Cubs even if they never win! lol

Where in Florida are you moving?
We moved to SE Orlando NW VILLAGE of AVALON! The area that gets bashed on City-Data for no reason! We moved here 2 years ago. It has been great!

What attracts you to Florida?
Hubby hated the cold. I followed.

What research did you do or have already done to pick your city or location?
We choose 32828 zip code because we has associates in this area. We viewed school ratings (Ele., MS, & HS) and took them all seriously because we had to think about long term. We had to decided if we would be okay with Gated or Non Gated. Gated bugged me, I felt confined. So, that was out. I wanted a home less than a year old. I wanted to be central to all schools, as we have a diverse age of children. Once we started looking in Waterford/ Avalon/ Eastwood/ Stoneybrook areas we all picked Avalon Park. We did not like some of the rift raft else where (work cars parked everywhere, congested streets, kids running around in the street, people using motor boats in the little lakes behind their house!). I wanted quiet and I got it!

Did you spend time in that town in person?
We visited 2 times to see homes with our agent. Saw the housing market start to go down, so we rented for a year. We just purchased a home last May and we love it. Might not have made since to some whom believe the market is still going down. However, we are here to stay!

Did you communicate with people who live their personally?
Yes, before we decided on location, we eat, walked, talked to random strangers, and also to associates. If you do not like the people you talk to, you normally will not like the area.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:47 PM

21 posts, read 68,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvflorida View Post
Finally a positive Florida post I was beginning to think they didn't exist! I am from Michigan, was born here, but lived in Florida for 3 years when I got married. First, I lived in Tallahassee, and I loved it there...such a great place to raise a family...I then lived down in South Florida, Hollywood, and it was great to be right near Hollywood Beach. I got divorced and moved back to Michigan, but I realize now I am a Florida girl at heart and miss it there. I just got my teaching certification and plan on moving back down to Florida because there are no jobs for teachers here. I am thinking about Tampa because I have lots of friends and relatives there. I was happier my 3 years in Florida than I have ever been in Michigan. Can't wait to move back
Can you help me decide where to move in Central Florida. Moving from Detroit Michigan with my husband (in our late 30's) with 2 boys (15, 9) and daughter (6). Looking for diverse race/age area, things to do and shop, affordable housing to rent as well as a good pay. Is that unreal?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I grew up in Ohio, bought a home here in 1988 and lived here full time since 2007. (Martin County FL). I wished I bought a home in San Diego a dozen years ago when I had the chance. Even with the left wing idiots driving that state into financial ruin is better than Florida.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,647 times
Default Big move! Little advise would go along way!!!

What are you from? 'Sunny' South Yorkshire, UK

Where in Florida are you moving? Fort Lauderdale or neighboring areas

What attracts you to Florida? Job possibility has brought me to look at Fort Lauderdale, also quality of life, sun, sea, sand! Away from the shocking state the UK is in at the minute! career opportunity, i am a web designer and my partner is a Nursery Nurse. Also i have heard many positive things about South Florida and searching for a great place to raise my (now 6month old) son!

What research did you do or have already done to pick your city or location? Lots of reading online and stumbled across this fantastic post, where i hope you all will help me and my family decide on a suitable area to move to!

Did you spend time in that town in person? We are planning on coming over to view the area (Fort Lauderdale) in person but i am sure this post will help too!

Did you communicate with people who live their personally? Not locally to Fort Lauderdale but have talked to people currently living in S. Florida.

The story:
Currently in discussion with a large online design/development company - agencynet.com about a role available there and excitingly looking forward to the prospect of moving to America.

I have a young son which is makes finding a suitable family area to live very important. Also any advise for internationals moving to the area would be really helpful!

Thanks in advance

Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 AM

102 posts, read 338,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandab509 View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I plan on moving our family to Central Florida from Detroit Michigan by Jan 2009. Our children are 6,9,15. I have searched this forum heavily and I am still unsure where we should locate. Some many people have me so confused as to what to do. We are attracted to Florida because it is so beautiful and clean. I love palm trees.
Not sure if I will be able to handle the heat but I do know that I am tired of the cold/snow/ and housing.

I want to continue the city life somewhat, but not be in a very slow area where theres nothing going on. I need to be by things my children can do, good schools, shopping, and Walmart/Target.

We are looking to rent to make sure we are happy in Florida. My max rent I am willing to spend is $1300 for 4 bedroom 2 bath.

The housing market is very bad here and trying to sell our house is a concern for us.

Crime isn't a huge factor for me since I do live in Detroit and have been here all my life, but I would like to avoid the areas that seem to attract the drug dealers and other criminals.
neighborhoods suitable for my family

Signed, don't know where to go.......................
We moved here from Metro detroit (oakland County) as my husband took a job here on the Space Coast. He has been here a year. I strongly suggest you make sure you have a job before making the move. The job market here is starting to slow down, jobs in IT, engineering and medical are what pay. You may be very surprised at the payscale for other jobs. I know I was!

Housing here should not be a real problem, as many places are up for sale/rent. The housing market is slow here too, it is a buyers market. But check out the cost of homeowners insurance. It is a big concern down here.

Schooling is a lot different too. My daughter is a teacher here, but has taught back in Michigan. FCAT prep and testing is a BIG part of the curriculum. Some districts in Central Florida are laying off teachers. Other places have a hiring freeze.

Check out some of the local papers on line, that will give you a good idea what is going on in the areas you might be interested in looking at.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,804 times
Where i'm from: NYC
Where i live now: Atlanta
Lived in FLorida: Orlando 2004-2006 (exactly 2 yrs)
How i feel about FL: It took me a while to get used to the slower southern pace and i think i left FL too soon. I kinda regret coming to Atlanta but everything happens for a reason. When i was in FL it was not the right time. I left because i didn't like the public schools and I had a child getting ready to go to high school. Job market was sketchy. Heat & humidity was oppressive. That being said, i would consider going back to FL in 2 yrs. Why? My son will have graduated from high school by then. I am going to school here in Atlanta for nursing so i can go back and have better job opportunities. And i guess i can deal with the heat. No place has perfect weather. I do miss the laid back attitude of FL. I miss the clear blue skies, the palm trees and honestly, it does feel like you are on vacation when you live in FL. I don't care how bad of day you're having, the sunshine does make you feel better. But if i go back, i will go to South FL. Yes they have issues down there, but i like the diversity, all of the festivals, and the Caribbean/Latin scene. I still think real estate prices are overpriced but hopefully the correction is done within the next 2 yrs. Oh, and the fact that there is no state income tax is a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida