Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:11 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,736,695 times

Advertisements

John - I can 100% tell you that is a fact!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,641,659 times
FL is a great place to live. I love it here. It offers big city amenities in a suburban environent, and the weather in my opinion is much better than anything up north. there's no way I could live in grey cold days for 7 months out of the year. I don't dont enjoy outdoor activities unless it's 70+

Old 01-14-2010, 02:16 PM

8,882 posts, read 20,251,547 times
Moved to Jax last January 09 from the Charlotte, NC area where we lived for a year. Before that, we spent 5 1/2 years just south of Denver, CO. Should have moved here directly from CO, but was sort of scared about the talk we heard dealing with gators and hurricanes, so we went to NC. NC/Charlotte area just wasn't our "cup of tea", wife got laid off from her job, we made a trip to Jax for a week to look for an apt and found one.
Living in CO was cool, but after having a hip replacement and rotator cuff/shoulder surgery (from a fall in ice/snow), we knew we just couldn't stay living in CO anymore. We love boating/fishing and there is plenty of water for that in Jax and all over Florida. We don't have to shovel snow or drive in "white-out" conditions anymore......thank you Lord, thank you!!
The employment situation here is our only downfall, but both of us are continuing to work hard on that.
Other than employment, we love it here!

Old 01-14-2010, 02:26 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,303,041 times
I'm in the camp of wanting to move to FLA. We live in a great place now, but just absolutely love Florida. Tampa or Jax area. Have considered maybe Naples or Miami area, but the severe hurricanes scare us away from Miami, and the horrendous job market away from Naples.

Having visited FLA many many times, its a great place. Just really sucks the job market is so unstable :-(

Old 01-14-2010, 02:51 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,540,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
I'm in the camp of wanting to move to FLA. We live in a great place now, but just absolutely love Florida. Tampa or Jax area. Have considered maybe Naples or Miami area, but the severe hurricanes scare us away from Miami, and the horrendous job market away from Naples.

Having visited FLA many many times, its a great place. Just really sucks the job market is so unstable :-(
The job situation can really be a deal breaker...it was for me even though I'm a degreed accountant as the major of two occupations I presently pursue. A City Data friend has been trying real hard to move down to S. Florida but the job prospects sometimes cast a shadow on her enthusiasm.

There's a saying that "a rising tide lifts all boats"...maybe when the national economy kicks back into gear, prospects will be better for those who so want to relocate there.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,303,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
The job situation can really be a deal breaker...it was for me even though I'm a degreed accountant as the major of two occupations I presently pursue. A City Data friend has been trying real hard to move down to S. Florida but the job prospects sometimes cast a shadow on her enthusiasm.

There's a saying that "a rising tide lifts all boats"...maybe when the national economy kicks back into gear, prospects will be better for those who so want to relocate there.
Yeah before this economic mess started I always figured Florida was one of those states that would be one to be able to weather bad economies, closer to Texas on the economic survival scale than to Michigan. But it looks like I was completely wrong...That more so than anything has me wondering if we really should move to FL, if long-term it would be a good idea if the economy isn't that solid there.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:06 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
Default I definitely appreciate what I had

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
A vast generalization but I'm sure many living up there would say the same thing about your beloved NYC. The trouble is with those expecting 'paradise' will solve their problems when they come here But change is good and helps you find a new positive energy or aprreciate what you had.
I did too in 1971, but those 30+ years, made me very complacent. I just thought it would never end.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:23 PM

776 posts, read 1,664,410 times
TA that is why folks really need to go for it at certain points in their life even if it ends up being the wrong decision . In the end it is the things you didn't try that eats away at you never really knowing WHAT IF I took that fork in the road..

Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 PM

25 posts, read 42,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
TA that is why folks really need to go for it at certain points in their life even if it ends up being the wrong decision . In the end it is the things you didn't try that eats away at you never really knowing WHAT IF I took that fork in the road..

I agree with you on this. This is the exact reason we want to move to Florida. We do not want to miss the opportunity to at least try it.

We understand the good and the bad but also see the same thing where we are living now. Might as well live in a warm beautiful town close to the things we love to do then never get the chance to see if we like it.

If all else fails we will not be moving back to a cold state and will move on to another warm weather state. But will try several towns in Florida first.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 PM

776 posts, read 1,664,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancaster Gal View Post
I agree with you on this. This is the exact reason we want to move to Florida. We do not want to miss the opportunity to at least try it.

We understand the good and the bad but also see the same thing where we are living now. Might as well live in a warm beautiful town close to the things we love to do then never get the chance to see if we like it.

If all else fails we will not be moving back to a cold state and will move on to another warm weather state. But will try several towns in Florida first.
Well you will be far better educated and aware of the pros and cons than people coming here 5-10-20 years ago. That is always a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida