Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times

Advertisements

Since my last really good thread was closed due to the fact that certain people wont allow a positive post to continue. This one is for the people who have moved to Florida in the past, have recently moved to Florida, moved away from Florida and moved back and have plans to move to Florida in the near future.
There is several of you who have moved away from Florida and have decided to move back, your info I feel is important because you have been on both sides of your decisions and therefore your opinion is very valudable to those who want to move to Florida in the future.
So, if you have plans, have already moved or want to move to Florida we would like to hear from you.

What are you from?
Where in Florida are you moving?
What attracts you to Florida?
What research did you do or have already done to pick your city or location?
Did you spend time in that town in person?
Did you communicate with people who live their personally?

Just some ideas.

I am interested in where you moved from and where you moved to and your specifics, I am interested in hearing from those who moved away and now have moved back and decided it was the right thing for you to do.

If you moved away and are coming back, where did you move to and where did you move back to in Florida?

Thank you from allot of us for posting your information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:23 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,239 times
Hey there, I think this a great topic! I've seen a lot of quesitons from people looking to move here about areas, and what people opinions are, and why they chose a specific area etc. So lets get it all out folks

What are you from?
I currently live in Keene NH, I moved here in the summer of 07 from Naples after living there for 24 years.

Where in Florida are you moving? I'm moving back to Naples this year

What attracts you to Florida? The weather is great! Yep even those hot summers The beach, theres A LOT to do! I don't have to shovel snow there, or bundle up.. I can bbq on the beach in Jan or go swimming on Thanksgiving.. Life is more laid back there imo, I'm familar with the area. Its cheaper to live there than up north, utilities alone for my one bedroom here equal more than my rent I paid there for my 3 bedroom.

What research did you do or have already done to pick your city or location? Well I already lived in Naples a long time. I'd also consider Bonita but nothing farther than Estero just because I like Naples and I prefer to be close to friends and family there

Did you spend time in that town in person? Oh for sure infact I'll be in town on Saturday if everything goes right! Fingers crossed

Did you communicate with people who live their personally?Yep infact some here might have untentinally communicated with me somewhere down the line in the past 20 years

The job situation may not be the greatest in SWFL but it is nowhere near as horrible as other places. Not even close, they pay in some fields is higher there , specifically for my husbands field and that attracts us back. I prefer the housing down there, its newer, odds are my house wasn't build in 1903 there and the taxes aren't $6000 a year like here. I have a variety of schools my child can go to in Naples as oppose to where I am where there is one elementary, one middle and one highschool. All in all its a better choice. I think the negativity although warrented in some situations is overwhelming here, and hurts peoples opinions on certain towns. What some people may find boring others may find great fun.. For myself I don't need to be club hopping every single friday night, however I can certainly do that in Ft. Myers if I wanted to. I'd interested in hearing postitive experiences from people who moved, are planning to move, or moved back to their areas.. This is a great thread!! Lets see some happy faces!!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:34 AM

24 posts, read 146,449 times
My husband and I are preparing to move to Sarasota from Central New Jersey with our two boys, Joe 17 and John 11. My husband has never lived in Florida but I lived in Tamarac in Broward from 8/1988 - 6/1989 and I LOVED it there!

What are you from? We now live in Millstone Township, Monmouth County, New Jersey

Where in Florida are you moving? Sarasota
What attracts you to Florida? I miss the beautiful weather! I felt like I was on vacation everyday when I lived in Tamarac.

I am currently researching a community called Misty Creek where we have found a home we like - just want to make sure there are children around the same ages as our boys in the neighborhood. We also looked in Turtle Rock but the home we liked is a little smaller than what we are looking for.

Did you spend time in that town in person? We spent the weekend there this past weekend just to check it out and we really like it.

Did you communicate with people who live their personally? That's what I am trying to do now, which is why I joined this MB Our Real estate agent and his family live in Sarasota and he is familiar with where we live now since he used to live and work in New York. Therefore he has been extremely helpful with answering most of our questions I would still LOVE to chat with anyone who has kids the same age and what they think of the area.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 AM

22 posts, read 43,674 times
Default Perfect Topic

OK I will answer the questions.

What are you from? Hoboken NJ
Where in Florida are you moving? south- Most likely a downtown area like Las Olas to start.
What attracts you to Florida? Weather- Lack of snow and cold. - People are like us- hope thats a good thing.
What research did you do or have already done to pick your city or location? In person visit 2 years ago- wife an I are headed down in 2 weeks. Have many contacts in Florida who give us some location info.
Did you spend time in that town in person? yes
Did you communicate with people who live their personally? Just got off the phone last night with a college friend who moved to Boca area 10 years ago.

Now the story-
My wife and I love Hoboken NJ and the New York Metro area. We are huge sports fans and love the metro area lifestyle. We golf avidly from late April to September which is not enough. This time of year stinks. We see south Florida as almost everything New York Metro area is without the depressing winters. I am in my early 30s and my wife is in her late 20s so we are young and still look for the nightlife attractions.
My wife is a nurse so no problem for her finding a career. I am in finance so it will be a bit more difficult for me but I think I will find something. We are going down there in late February to do some further exploring. We were there 2 years ago and loved Las Olas Riverfront area. Beautiful apartments and awesome nightlife. The other areas that may be good for us are Brickell or Coral Gables. The main plan for us is to rent in a downtown for a few years then when we want to bring little monsters- I mean kids- into our lives we head to the north like Boca or even Stuart or Jupiter to settle with a family.
We'll see how it works out. Next march (09)_our lease is up in Hoboken so that is our target date. We'll see-- We cant wait for our visit next month to further see what Florida has to offer.
Please reply with thoughts or comments. thank you

Old 01-28-2008, 10:30 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Originally from northeast.

Florida is attractive because of no state income tax.

Florida is attractive because of the weather, especially southeastern Florida.

Southeastern Florida is attractive because of its geographical position, hosting three major airports, one a major international airport linking to both Latin America and Europe.

Florida, and southeastern Florida in particular, could be more attractive economically, but, though it certainly lacks depth, southeastern Florida is about as deep as it gets.

Finally, despite this insane credit-induced housing speculation that has adversely affected the lives of thousands, if not millions, of otherwise potentially hardworking people (and, perversely, in the name of the "ownership" society, but really the "debtorship" society), Florida can still be less expensive, on balance, than comparable areas and with worse weather.

Certainly Florida no longer offers the "easy life" for most wage-earners, but it may still offer advantages for small business owners.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:43 PM

93 posts, read 386,090 times
Hello,
My husband and me plan on moving in the next 6 months. We are putting are home up for sale, here in the state of Wash.

I lived in Fl. as a young girl(we are in our 50's now, and retired). I took my husband to Florida on a vacation about 15 years ago, and he did not want to leave. So, now that he is retired, this is where he wants to go.

I know it has changed a lot since I lived there back in the 50's!!! We will rent there first, and I will keep coming back here, and do some other research before we buy. My husband is a avid fisherman, and loves being in warm weather. I will even go fishing with him, if the weather is warm.

I lived in northern Calif. most my life, and have never lived in a area that I knew there was a lot of drug activity. Even back in the hippie days There was plenty around, I just did not know where, so thinking it was not obvious?

right now, I just do not know what area we will move to. We are looking at Venice, Nokomis,Sarasota, Longboat key, Bonita Springs(a little pricey though).

Take care everyone

Last edited by mhoward48; 01-28-2008 at 02:13 PM..

Old 01-28-2008, 02:07 PM

657 posts, read 1,788,254 times
so nice to read all these positives!!!!
my hubby and i are in our late 30s with two little girls ages 5 and 3 and we are working on the big move south too. we now live in CT and it is freezing and so boaring and expensive!!!
we are heading to the bradenton area.
my trouble is leaving my family and friends.
the more i read positive about florida and the more pics i see the easier its becoming.
my husband s job does make pretty decent money here but willing to take a pay cut for a life!!
im a hairdresser. my trouble will just be rebuilding a clientelle.
every day here i freeze, and wont go outside unless i need to. poor kids are so board in this house all the time. theres nothing to do here!!!
I have visited close friends in florida many times in the last 11 yrs and i love it. i feel like im home everytime.
im so excited to finally go home!!!
thanx for making my day!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:13 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
What are you from? Hi! I'm from the northern suburbs of Cincinnati. I have a great career, terrific friends, nice neighbors, good schools for my kids, a lovely home, and a lifetime of history here, but due to a chronic health condition the winters are getting to be pretty unbearable for me. My doctors say moving south may improve the quality of my life and stave off being wheel chair bound. I know getting rid of cold, gray, dreary days seven months out of the year has to be a good thing and even if I don't live any longer as a result of the move at least I'll be able to enjoy each and every day I have left.

Where in Florida are you moving? I wish I knew. I want to live in a community where I could walk to the grocery, library, and a community pool from my single story, single family home without paying CDD fees. I've visited 23 Florida towns so far, but haven't found my new hometown. If any of you know where this place is please contact me. I really could use some input on where to look next.

What attracts you to Florida? The weather, the warmth, the sunshine, my parents, and the hope that I'll go into remission or at least have a better quality of life than I currently have.

I've been researching via the internet and library books and visiting communities for two years now. Florida is a beautiful state, but it's hard to find a walkable town.

Did you spend time in that town in person?Yes, I've spent time in each community I've visited so far and walked every one of them to see if I could manage it should I be in a wheel chair at some point.

Did you communicate with people who live their personally? Yes, I've talked to people in each town and picked the brains of everyone on CD who sounds like they may have knowledge that would help me narrow down my choices of a new hometown. Thanks everyone! You've been great to me.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:51 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,933 times
What are you from? Originally Mass but live in Maine now

Where in Florida are you moving? Not sure yet. Looking mostly at the Tampa/St. Pete's area but open to anywhere in central or north Florida...of course if I join the Highway Patrol I will go where they want/need me.

What attracts you to Florida? Palm trees, Sun, warm weather, no snow, alligators lol, Not having to worry about breaking my neck on the ice when going for a walk.

What research did you do or have already done to pick your city or location? Searching city-data.com and these forums. Nothing real serious yet.

Did you spend time in that town in person? I have been to the Orlando area and I have liked it but I don't think I would want to live around Orlando

Did you communicate with people who live their personally? Just on these forums but otherwise no.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:15 PM

45 posts, read 187,142 times
hdzup3, you should feel right at home when you move here. At my son's former school, two of his teachers, the principal and the secretary were all from Connecticut!

Sunnydee, I don't know what your price range is. Have you considered Inverness? There are loads of reasonably priced homes available, many of which seem to be within walking distance of various activities. If price is not much of an issue, then Winter Park, within Orlando, is wonderful for walking to many great restaurants, shopping and a park. Also Seaside, which is in the Panhandle, to the East of Fort Walton Beach, is an award winning, small community, built on walking to everything (but again, is incredibly expensive.)

Florida is great; my only caveat is that it is easy to be swayed by pictures, but you can't feel the intense humidity and heat in pictures, or get bitten by the fire ants, etc. You really have to be prepared to deal with bugs and pulverizing humidity, along with the downer, every fall, of no fall foliage, and every Christmas of no snow. Many holiday seasons, your AC will still be running, 24/7. If you are from an area where the seasons change, you will miss that when the fall comes. I don't care if you live down here for 20 years - when the autumn comes, the football games and homecomings begin, and you are sweating through Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas...you miss the crisp, fall days and the changing leaves of the North.

That said, after a few years here, a little icy weather goes a long way. You will spend several months going outdoors and instinctively hunching your shoulders against the cold, only to feel a balmy breeze. You open your door in the morning in February, to a benign atmosphere of gently swaying palms. When you travel on business or to visit relatives in the North, you can't get over the soul destroying quality of battling the constant cold, barren trees and endless, leaden grey skies. You feel as if you weigh a thousand pounds, struggling everywhere wearing more clothes than you'd wear in a week, in Florida. You get so used to tee shirts and shorts, and silk for work.

My eventual goal is to have enough money to visit somewhere North for a week every fall, to see the leaves change, and somewhere snowy every Christmas. By January 2, though, every year, my nostalgia ends and I am thankful again that I'm in Florida.

Last edited by vincero; 01-28-2008 at 09:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida