Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:58 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times

Advertisements

How do you stand the heat? Parents dont want air condition!

result? all windows open, my fan spinning and im still hot! Its almost 84 in my room and a couple degrees less in the other rooms. I begged them to turn the a/c on(of course closing all windows) so it can cool our rooms to a comfortable 77. I may have to sleep in the patio where its cooler. Its screened so hopefully I dont get many mosquitos. I am really looking forward to "winter" which will mean 75 degree temperatures and I wont be sweating. You guys that live in cooler climates are so lucky! Maybe youll be a bit cold in the winter but you can always put on a shirt! I cant do anything if im too hot except turn the a/c which parents refuse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 03:24 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post

result? all windows open, my fan spinning and im still hot! Its almost 84 in my room and a couple degrees less in the other rooms. I begged them to turn the a/c on(of course closing all windows) so it can cool our rooms to a comfortable 77. I may have to sleep in the patio where its cooler. Its screened so hopefully I dont get many mosquitos. I am really looking forward to "winter" which will mean 75 degree temperatures and I wont be sweating. You guys that live in cooler climates are so lucky! Maybe youll be a bit cold in the winter but you can always put on a shirt! I cant do anything if im too hot except turn the a/c which parents refuse!
Okay, here's a tip for keeping cool. Keep your hair wet (not dripping) while you are home. When you are walking around at home, take an old tee-shirt, soak it in cold water, wring it out and put it on wet (not dripping). As the water evaporates from it, as it dries, it will cool you off.

I used to do both when I went fishing in the summer (wet tee shirt over a bathing suit top) and was out in the hot sun. As soon as the shirt dried, I could take it off, dunk it in the lake, wring it out and put it back on to keep cool.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:29 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
As a native Floridian I can tell you that wet clothes don't work. Water may evaporate but you will sweat enough to replace it. I get a horrible heat rash every year from constantly being wet and have had several fungal infections. Florida weather is horrible, actually beyond horrible and the only cure is air conditioning or waiting for winter.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:07 AM

198 posts, read 959,599 times
Quote:
I don't ! Thats why I have my AC cranked to 72 for 10 months of the year....

But since you dont have control over that, try getting a small spray bottle and spray/mist yourself and keep it by your bed so when your got hot again, just spray away. During the 04' summer when we were without power due to the all canes's I did this and it helped a little.....

But, A nice cold front is coming tonight and at least in the tampa area, highs will be in the 70's after today....

Old 11-15-2006, 05:21 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
can you put in a small window unit in your room? they also have standing units if window units are not allowed in your neighborhood
karla

Old 11-15-2006, 05:57 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,860 times
I feel for you. My parents also refused to run the a/c when I lived at home. My first house didn't have a/c, we bought 1 window unit and had it in the bedroom. Lived like that for 15 years. Than after my mother passed and we moved in to care for my father, his a/c was broke. Had it fixed twice (over $6,000 for both times) only to find out the duct work was rotted. Didn't find out about the duct until we got our first bill. Then we would only run it for about 2 hours at night. I think because we have waterbeds, it made a difference. So we basically lived 18 years without a/c. It can be done but its not pleasant. Kick off the sheets and crank the fan. If you have a ceiling fan, try adding a standing rotating fan. It helps to move the air around. Sleep in your next to nothings, and use BABY POWDER ! Powder also helps alot to absorb the sweat.
We moved out of Florida. And now when it gets to 67 degrees they want heat, when in Florida if it got to be 72 degrees they wanted a/c. I tell them to put on clothes, sit in front of the fire or grab a blanket !
Florida should be cooling down a bit this weekend. Good luck to you, try the baby powder.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:02 AM

243 posts, read 1,097,100 times
Quote:

If you're 18 or older, move out, get your own place, do whatever you want.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
If you're 18 or older, move out, get your own place, do whatever you want.
And where will one get the money to do this?

Old 11-15-2006, 07:52 AM

48 posts, read 222,498 times
I don't know how you haven't gone crazy. I always have my air running. Why do they refuse to put the air on? We were without electricity for a few weeks after our last hurricane and what I did to keep a bit cool was chew on ice chips.

Good luck!

Old 11-15-2006, 07:55 AM

Many people in Florida are low on funds and can't afford 200.00+ electric bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: