U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2006, 03:34 AM

51 posts, read 262,394 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this forum for a while and while people can be very helpful, there is nothing that can take the place of a trip to an area, before relocating.

People post from their own experiences. If a poster has had a great experience, they will tell everyone how great living in the area is....If they have had bad experiences, they will warn everyone not to move to a place.

Nothing takes the place of visiting an area and checking it out for yourself.

There is also a lot of research a person can do prior to visiting. You can get relocation packages from the local school districts (this usually has information about the school district/scores, etc), check out mls listings on the internet, search for city/town websites and read information about the town/city, check to see if there are local churches (if that is important), parks, shopping, entertainment, restaurants, job opportunities, apartment rentals, etc...you can even do a mapquest from a job location to your home. Just about anything you need to know you can get from either picking up the phone and calling the local chamber of commerce in an area, or searching for it on the internet. If you are seriously looking to buy a home, you can always call a realtor.....but, I would make a trip to an area myself before jumping in to anything.

No one can tell a person if they are going to like living somewhere for any reason...it is all an individual choice.

I read peoples posts to get more insite about an area....but, I would also visit the area myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 07:23 AM

176 posts, read 1,042,215 times
I agree. Most relocation experts recommend you visit an area for a month before relocating to make sure you like it.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:24 AM

Extended stay hotels, with kitchens are great to stay in while you are taking the time to really look around an area before purchasing a house. They usually rent by the week/month at a decent rate. Also, some hotels/motels will negotiate a monthly rate.

I've also rented apartments for 6 months or so, before purchasing...especially when my children were in school and I wanted to make sure that the schools were in a district/zone that I would want to purchase a home in. It's easier to rent and move somewhere else...than jump into buying a home and having regrets about the area later.

We were a military family for 25 years, and when we had to live out in town, we always rented first.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:42 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,133,761 times
It's good advice and makes sense... however, it's not that simple. A lot of people don't have the extra money to take the trip to several different places to see if they are interested in moving there. It can add up to several thousands of dollars, what it would cost to actually move there.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:50 AM

4,948 posts, read 16,481,010 times
I agree with redwings fan

moving is stressful, and you need to pack, then unpack. And if you are only one person, with pets, you need to board them, and all this adds up. Then also, you have no income coming in. The best way, is to visit a place,
often, such as on vacations etc. Then at least you have a feel for it.
me, i just made up my mind i would buy pack, unpack then make the best of the move.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:21 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,154,926 times
Makes lots of sense to rent before you buy. If you don't like it, then you can pick up and move without the worry of selling your home.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:25 PM

698 posts, read 2,459,781 times
Good advice from all depending on your means. My family and I are going to SC next year where we plan to move in 2008 but can only afford to stay about a week. I've done a crash course on the areas of interest from the computer chair and learned a great deal from the SC boards. Realtor.com shows what home prices are at the moment and the counties have their own sites to inform parents about school districts including report cards on each school as current as 2005. You can calculate what property taxes will be, state income taxes (which FL does not have btw), and Google various cities that all seem to have their own sites. It's just a glimpse from afar but a good first look.

Florida is best visited in "winter" which is really not winter as northerners know it but the dry season when we have less humidity, though it is still quite warm. However, you may also be brave and come here in August to see what that will be like too. Hot and humid does not describe it.

Florida is hot for a good 8/9 months of the year. I grew up here and remember my childhood as one loooong summer.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:47 PM

YES! That's exactly what I was talking about. You can do soooo much research on the internet about prospective places to move to....google to your hearts content!

I would at least try and go down to see a house in person, or an apartment rental before actually committing myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or