U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 06:29 AM

243 posts, read 1,009,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
What's worse, shoveling snow or sweating uncontrollably just to mow the lawn? The heat rash, infections and illness aren't just for a few weeks but for 9 months or more. It's November and I was sweating enough to soak my whole shirt and part of my pants, just raking up some leaves for 20 minutes! By the way, have you ever been in Miami traffic when it's 98 degrees outside and you have no air conditioning? You can die in a few minutes from heat exhaustion, but can survive a lot longer in cold conditions. I have been waiting since last April to clean my garage. Maybe this weekend we get a cold front that makes this possible. i am tired of waiting for a break in the heat.

If you've been stuck in Miami traffic on a 98 degree day, you've never had to do it before or after as the record high temp for Miami is 98 degrees. By the way, ever been in 20 below zero with 30 below zero wind chill? I have, it's far more deadly than humid 90+ degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,344,109 times
Quote:
Get off the Turnpike at the Ft pierce exit and go west, or do the same at Yeehaw junction. Abandoned houses are everywhere. Someone must be buying this all up for speculation, it's ridiculous.
Ok, I've lived in Florida all of my life, and I had to get on mapquest to see what you are talking about. I know this area, but perhaps you don't. This is all grove land and swamp land. The "towns" you refer to were there to service the groves. Most of the small houses you see that are abandoned were used by migrant workers. Migrant workers pick oranges in the fall/winter months - then they go elsewhere for for work. There were NEVER any thriving towns in this area, and certainly no infrastructure! Furthermore, this is not Central Florida. It's North Okeechobee. No one is buying up that land for anything, other than for groves and other agriculture.

Some of Y'all really need to understand Florida a little better. It ain't as crowded as many think, and it's much much bigger than most have any idea. There is still tons of grove land, agg land, swamp land, and forest land. But, there is no infrastructure in these areas, so everyone seems to forget they exist!

Old 11-16-2006, 03:25 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,335,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Ok, I've lived in Florida all of my life, and I had to get on mapquest to see what you are talking about. I know this area, but perhaps you don't. This is all grove land and swamp land. The "towns" you refer to were there to service the groves. Most of the small houses you see that are abandoned were used by migrant workers. Migrant workers pick oranges in the fall/winter months - then they go elsewhere for for work. There were NEVER any thriving towns in this area, and certainly no infrastructure! Furthermore, this is not Central Florida. It's North Okeechobee. No one is buying up that land for anything, other than for groves and other agriculture.

Some of Y'all really need to understand Florida a little better. It ain't as crowded as many think, and it's much much bigger than most have any idea. There is still tons of grove land, agg land, swamp land, and forest land. But, there is no infrastructure in these areas, so everyone seems to forget they exist!
The bad part is there is no infrastructure in most of the new areas.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:55 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,966,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
I am not sure what area of New York State that you are talking about but if you can find a house for less than 50 grand, it is probably an area where the population is dying off.
Quite a few years ago before I retired, my wife and I thought that we may want to move to the Catskill area. A friend of ours transferred up there with the phone company. We found out that if you need to work, jobs were almost non-existent and those that did exist did not pay enough to live on. Houses were reasonably inexpensive but things like fuel oil and electricity were about the same as other areas of New York.
A lot of smaller municipalities in the area have such small budgets and workforce that it is sometimes difficult to keep up with road maintenance, sewer maintenance,etc.
If you find a place for less than $50,000, be sure to spend some time researching the area and make sure you know what you are getting into. Away from the major metropolitan areas, jobs are not plentiful and the one's that are available probably don't pay much.

Thats why it pays to be self employeed with a home business. You can offer services(web design, graphics, fixing computers and other electronics) you can also be a tech support and charge like $2.99 a minute to assist others with their problems, say someone has a car problem and you are the expert, you can make good money. You can be a retailer or reseller. Buy in bulk from a company or a store going out of business and sell it over the internet or on ebay. You can even make your own stuff like candles, arts, jewerly, candies, etc and sell it on the internet. Theres hundreds of ways to make money being self employeed in your very own house! You might not get rich that way working on your own but make enough to be very comfortable and with houses costing $50k, they are very affordable.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:59 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,729,533 times
And if you make your money go further you pay less taxes. Less income = less income tax, and you need to make less to enjoy more. If you have high speed internet and access to shipping you can earn a living. And if commercial property is cheap, even establish a business without begging for some rich dirtbag to finance you. I know of people who make less than 50K a year, but have homes with large rec rooms, big swimming pools, boats in the lake, plenty of space to do whatever you want. In a big city you pay dearly for a whole lot of nothing. Conformists love the city, independant thinkers may prefer a slower pace with a lot more freedom.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:16 AM

Totally agree. Ill be giving up the city and city life(which I dont take advantage of enough!) and moving to a small town in OH or WV. What I give up in location, I gain in far lower costs of living. My money will go alot further. Ive seen pictures and some of those houses are really nice for $50k, even $25k! Saw a small ~1200 square foot brick 4/1 house for about $35k, thats about $29 a square foot! I may buy two smaller houses or one bigger house. I cant even get decent a mobile home here that cheap!

Old 11-19-2006, 01:27 PM

5 posts, read 15,856 times
I've been in FL for 20 years after moving from NY at age 16. I am finally getting out. I have never spread roots here and I will give a basic breakdown as to why:
The people--maybe it has to do with the unchanging weather and scenery--people are generally dull. The landscape is flat as is consistent with the affect of many of its people.
The weather--believe or not, you will tire of endless sunshine. I have a 10 year-old being screened for melanoma. We have excesssive heat for 9 months of the year where it is difficult to do anything that requires leaving air conditioning. It leaves you physically tired (hence the dull people).
The insects--mosquitos and knats surf on waves of humidity. Do not live near any standing water which breeds the stuff.
The traffic--this place is not a postcard. We have toll roads to get to the toll roads. Any road you pay for will have traffic, and any free road (this is Central Florida, btw) is a parking lot. We do not have hands-free laws here. I suppose in our standstill, we simply require something to do.
No state-income tax--isn't that great? Sure--until you realize that there are things that should be paid for and there's no money to do so! Hence the school systems, toll roads, crime rate--you get the picture.
Culture=Theme Parks--enough said.
I won't get into hurricanes because I find them interesting, but insurance rates are insane.
As with other cities, you will find very attractive areas that back up to ghettos.
Keep in mind, some people truly enjoy Florida and swear they will never live anywhere else. Unfortunately, these are the people that tend to hit very high on the dull meter and are not people I'd prefer to hang out with.
Oh, and lastly--employment. This is an unskilled/service industry haven. If you're into hospitality, have at it. If you have a degree or two, and need to continue to work for a living, I suggest you do it elsewhere. For example, a master's degree in the public school system will snag you about 38K if you're lucky--if you can find an opening.
With that, I am relocating back to NY, and will hustle with the rest of them. In New York, I feel that most people are working toward something. In Florida, there are too many people who do as little as possible and expect to be compensated.
You don't have to stay in NY, but I would not recommend FL unless you are retiring.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:16 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,089,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I know that NY state has the cold winters, high taxes, etc. NYC is the most expensive real estate in the nation. Yet somehow there remain places in the state where homes go for les than 50,000 and there are towns where the population is dying off. Florida has large amounts of rural areas yet land prices are high, and even towns which are dying, like those in central FL are very expensive, just take a drive up the expensive sunshine state parkway (turnpike) and get off around yeehaw junction or anywhere between kissimme and martin county and see the abandoned homes. Florida is not a scenic place unless you're like me and enjoy cypress, pines, palmettos and sawgrass. So why are the dead parts of Florida more expensive then Ny? Example there's a bowling alley for sale near PA for 155,000 - where could you find a 10 lane bowling alley for sale in Florida for that price?
NYC metro isn't the most expensive real estate in the nation. That would be the bay area in CA. San Fran is more expensive then NYC, and Boston and Chicago are close by.

As for dieing towns, ever been upstate? Newburgh, Buffulo. Albany and Rochester have some rough areas. Even NYC, expensive as it is has ****hole areas scattered across the 5 boroughs. From the South Bronx to Stapleton, Staten Island.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
NYC metro isn't the most expensive real estate in the nation. That would be the bay area in CA. San Fran is more expensive then NYC, and Boston and Chicago are close by.

As for dieing towns, ever been upstate? Newburgh, Buffulo. Albany and Rochester have some rough areas. Even NYC, expensive as it is has ****hole areas scattered across the 5 boroughs. From the South Bronx to Stapleton, Staten Island.

I always thought NYC was more expensive than San Francisco. in NYC, the average cost per square feet is like $900! In SF its "only" $600!

Old 11-22-2006, 05:32 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,381,812 times
NY IS more expensive, but only Manhattan. (the TRUE NY! ) I guess when you average in the rest, Frisco takes it...
tallrick - you're a wuss!!! My ac was broken last summer. So yes, I've driven in Miami with no ac. I happened to have a cd player in my car that tells the temp. It was 106! I was sweating. But I was ok. Like Sunny said, cold is MUCH more deadly!!!!!!!!!
By the way, it appears that being able to take heat gives you a better "survival of the fittest" chance than being able to take the cold. I was reading about global warming, & all the animal species that are going/have gone extinct were those adapted to COLD!
Looks like me, ColdCan, Sunny & Grammy & Jammie (and a few others that I'm sure I'm forgetting) are gonna be the only ones left on the boards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or