Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 09:10 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

I know that NY state has the cold winters, high taxes, etc. NYC is the most expensive real estate in the nation. Yet somehow there remain places in the state where homes go for les than 50,000 and there are towns where the population is dying off. Florida has large amounts of rural areas yet land prices are high, and even towns which are dying, like those in central FL are very expensive, just take a drive up the expensive sunshine state parkway (turnpike) and get off around yeehaw junction or anywhere between kissimme and martin county and see the abandoned homes. Florida is not a scenic place unless you're like me and enjoy cypress, pines, palmettos and sawgrass. So why are the dead parts of Florida more expensive then Ny? Example there's a bowling alley for sale near PA for 155,000 - where could you find a 10 lane bowling alley for sale in Florida for that price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 09:17 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Quote:
...and even towns which are dying, like those in central FL are very expensive....
What towns in Central Florida are dying?

Old 11-15-2006, 09:20 AM

942 posts, read 2,583,058 times
Angry over glorified

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I know that NY state has the cold winters, high taxes, etc. NYC is the most expensive real estate in the nation. Yet somehow there remain places in the state where homes go for les than 50,000 and there are towns where the population is dying off. Florida has large amounts of rural areas yet land prices are high, and even towns which are dying, like those in central FL are very expensive, just take a drive up the expensive sunshine state parkway (turnpike) and get off around yeehaw junction or anywhere between kissimme and martin county and see the abandoned homes. Florida is not a scenic place unless you're like me and enjoy cypress, pines, palmettos and sawgrass. So why are the dead parts of Florida more expensive then Ny? Example there's a bowling alley for sale near PA for 155,000 - where could you find a 10 lane bowling alley for sale in Florida for that price?

Florida is over glorified and not worth it!!! High taxes and super high home owners insurance. I'm paying more for my home owners ins than my mortgage!!!

Old 11-15-2006, 10:12 AM

627 posts, read 2,848,944 times
I grew up in Watkins Glen (Townsend) NY, just outside of Corning. A majority of my family still lives there and the area is depressed. Industry over the past 30 years has died or moved to cheaper areas of the world. The biggest industry in the area is NOT the Corning Glass works anymore, it is the Grand Prix and the Watkins Glen Falls and they are only Seasonal.

My families have farms, large land lots (100+ acres each) and live in house that most people we condemn just looking at the outside (insides are nice). Many of us all have gone through college and most (my age) have all but left the state, only to go back for Beautiful Fall/Winter Holidays! (Nothing like an old fashion hay ride in the fall or ride'n the old John deer snowmobiles!). The Countryside of State is Great, especially the Finger-lakes region... Great Wine too!!!!

Here is very good informational paper (in PDF) that explains a lot of the issues that the state is crippled with.

cbcny.org/fixingnys.pdf

Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
What towns in Central Florida are dying?
Get off the Turnpike at the Ft pierce exit and go west, or do the same at Yeehaw junction. Abandoned houses are everywhere. Someone must be buying this all up for speculation, it's ridiculous.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:08 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,554 times
Default Just blame the government for all the mess our country is in.

Towns are dying and people are hurting because they are losing their jobs.
This is happening everywhere, not just Florida. Florida really needs to get with the times though. I think all the politicians from those dying towns up north moved down here and are ruining this state~

Old 11-15-2006, 09:03 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
I don't get why some people don't get it!
FL HAS NO SNOW!!! FL HAS NO WINTER!!! FL IS SURROUNDED BY WATER!!! LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!! PEOPLE PAY FOR SUCH AMENTIES!!!
Any further questions???!!!
Moderator cut: bad word

Old 11-15-2006, 09:22 PM

What's worse, shoveling snow or sweating uncontrollably just to mow the lawn? The heat rash, infections and illness aren't just for a few weeks but for 9 months or more. It's November and I was sweating enough to soak my whole shirt and part of my pants, just raking up some leaves for 20 minutes! By the way, have you ever been in Miami traffic when it's 98 degrees outside and you have no air conditioning? You can die in a few minutes from heat exhaustion, but can survive a lot longer in cold conditions. I have been waiting since last April to clean my garage. Maybe this weekend we get a cold front that makes this possible. i am tired of waiting for a break in the heat.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:10 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
What's worse, shoveling snow or sweating uncontrollably just to mow the lawn? The heat rash, infections and illness aren't just for a few weeks but for 9 months or more. It's November and I was sweating enough to soak my whole shirt and part of my pants, just raking up some leaves for 20 minutes! By the way, have you ever been in Miami traffic when it's 98 degrees outside and you have no air conditioning? You can die in a few minutes from heat exhaustion, but can survive a lot longer in cold conditions. I have been waiting since last April to clean my garage. Maybe this weekend we get a cold front that makes this possible. i am tired of waiting for a break in the heat.

Wow I did not know this! I have started a new thread on this own topic:

I did not know extreme heat is more dangerous than extreme cold!

Anyway Florida is more expensive because its more desirable. Even with the heat, people prefer it to the cold and snow. Also Florida has great beaches, lakes and entertainment. Even living in a "dying" town you can drive to all kinds of places and entertainment in Florida. Theres alot of fun stuff to do outside "dying" towns. If you are in a "dying" town in NY, you are not near anything fun, not near NYC else it would be expensive too. Im sure Elfyum agrees

Old 11-16-2006, 06:18 AM

177 posts, read 684,179 times
Quote:
I know that NY state has the cold winters, high taxes, etc. NYC is the most expensive real estate in the nation. Yet somehow there remain places in the state where homes go for les than 50,000 and there are towns where the population is dying off.
I am not sure what area of New York State that you are talking about but if you can find a house for less than 50 grand, it is probably an area where the population is dying off.
Quite a few years ago before I retired, my wife and I thought that we may want to move to the Catskill area. A friend of ours transferred up there with the phone company. We found out that if you need to work, jobs were almost non-existent and those that did exist did not pay enough to live on. Houses were reasonably inexpensive but things like fuel oil and electricity were about the same as other areas of New York.
A lot of smaller municipalities in the area have such small budgets and workforce that it is sometimes difficult to keep up with road maintenance, sewer maintenance,etc.
If you find a place for less than $50,000, be sure to spend some time researching the area and make sure you know what you are getting into. Away from the major metropolitan areas, jobs are not plentiful and the one's that are available probably don't pay much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida