Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 11:08 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The reason I said 35-55 is that generally (although not exclusively) these are the years where parents are raising their kids.

Moving from the NE this often means that only one parent has to work. In suburban NYC usually both parents have to work to pay the bills. This adds pressure and it can get pretty intense. The cost of living is going up faster than salaries do, and the alternative for many is to do a 1-2 hour commute each way into Manhattan to earn more. This also negatively impacts QOL for many people as they aren't around for their kids as much during the week.

You also get far less for your money. Paying $600K+ for an older home on a small piece of property goes with the territory. This same home often needs frequent maintenance, which if you are a commuter, also has to be farmed out unless you want to spend all weekend on that.

For many it feels like being on a treadmill that you can't stop. Unless you leave.

I also agree with much that Arcenal352 says about QOL. People seem generally more friendly, the pace is a bit slower and this also contributes positively.

Yup. I want off the treadmill, out of the fishbowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 11:21 AM

422 posts, read 412,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yup. I want off the treadmill, out of the fishbowl.
like FL is much better in that regards. Still have to work, still have to commute, still have to deal with idiots. Yea we get it, you cant hack a little bit of cold weather... boo hoo

Old 09-29-2015, 11:39 AM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
like FL is much better in that regards. Still have to work, still have to commute, still have to deal with idiots. Yea we get it, you cant hack a little bit of cold weather... boo hoo
It's a MUCH different lifestyle altogether.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:57 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
If you read some of my previous posts I said although I don't like cold weather, I live with it just fine. It doesn't bother me too much.
I will be semi retired so I'm not planning on commutes and the rat race.
The dealing with idiots is an issue. I hate everyone so that will be a problem. But if there are less idiots in my way compared to where I am now, I'll take it. Here I am surrounded by idiots, one after another, basically everybody. If I had it my way, I'd move to the middle of nowhere with as little human contact as possible but my wife wants to be closer to her family.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:04 PM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
If I had it my way, I'd move to the middle of nowhere with as little human contact as possible but my wife wants to be closer to her family.

You can have that while still being close enough to city centers.
My uncle moved from NYC to FL after retiring and settled for a small middle-of-nowhere town outside of Orlando. He's on 10 acres, away from anyone's sight.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:04 PM

422 posts, read 412,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's a MUCH different lifestyle altogether.
yea, in addition to your normal daily activities, you have to watch out for uninsured drivers, tax fraud, meth heads and zombies

Old 09-29-2015, 02:25 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
yea, in addition to your normal daily activities, you have to watch out for uninsured drivers, tax fraud, meth heads and zombies
More than 14% of motorists in the US are uninsured.

How many drivers don't have auto insurance?

We are #2

10 states with the most uninsured motorists

We are not in the top 10 on meth labs

RealClearPolitics - 10: South Carolina

Not in use either.

Top 9 states for methamphetamine use

We are #1 in frauds, but it happens everywhere. Here is the top 10

America’s Worst States for Fraud - 24/7 Wall St.

Zombies want brains - You are safe.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:37 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
Yes!!!! This is a different climate, culture, and lifestyle. Please don't expect it to be just like where you came from. Embrace the differences. Eat some different foods.

I have lived in Venice since last October, and it's a little dismaying how so many people want to find exactly the same foods they eat when they are up north. I want to see Gulf seafood on the menu, not fish from the Great Lakes, clams from the East Coast, and (name your city) style pizza from wherever. It's like they all want New Jersey, only with warm weather and flip flops.

Exactly! Its all over FL too, not just where you are. In fact its worse in South and Central FL.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:38 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
I think it defeats the purpose of moving.
I'm leaving NY to get away from NY.
Sucks when people move to a different place and then try to turn that place into exactly the same place they left. Or, complain about how this or that just isn't the same or whatever.
If it's that bad then go back.
Then I highly suggest looking into rural FL or like you said, NC.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:33 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
I love bagels but I haven't seen a real Jewish deli since I was 13 yrs old. I just buy Lender's or buy them at BJ'S. I adapt. When I was down there two weeks ago, I tried salsa (yum), guacamole (not bad), some rice dish I did not like but I tried stuff I never have had!

WTH, I can cook my food, my way but don't want to change anything outside my door!

Hurricane Katrina changed OUR life too. Some many refugees from NO, were put here by the government and they had OUR stores start to carry that crappy Cajun junk. Wouldn't be so bad if the stores hadn't removed stuff I LIKE and always have!

C'est la vie I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida