Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 05:10 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You can have that while still being close enough to city centers.
My uncle moved from NYC to FL after retiring and settled for a small middle-of-nowhere town outside of Orlando. He's on 10 acres, away from anyone's sight.
Ok that sounds interesting, could you name a few areas that might be of interest to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 11:04 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
Retired11, where do you live that you cannot find your beloved bagel? Wachula? Or, perhaps, Pahokee? Chances are neither given that you are from the north. There are lots of decent bagel places here, all you have to do is go to them.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:03 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
People move to florida for the weather. They want all the conveniences of "home" but dont want to look hard to find them. If we didnt have the nice weather or the invention of air condition nobody would move here.
The thing is........when you move to a new place because you want to be there it SHOULD become home. I always say I grew up in Illinois, I went to school in Illinois, I visit my family in Illinois but my home and home town is is in Florida. This is where I CHOSE to live. Going back to the Chicago area and finding all the things you liked when you lived there just make them taste so much better when you do get up there. Italian Beef, pork tenderloin sandwiches, pizza, etc. are special treats when you go visit. They just would not taste the same down here without the old surroundings and company you keep when there. Memories make things taste or seem better sometime,but others may think differently. For example the pizza I grew up eating and is sort of a cult thing for people in the town I grew up in, my kids dubbed inferior cardboard pizza after eating it the first time. To us that moved away, we can't eat there too many times when up there.

Having lived here and knowing people from every where in the world practically, I have favorites here now and would miss them if I ever chose to live elsewhere but I would not expect them to even know what a tim tam is or what mater dumplin's are in the north.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:12 AM

422 posts, read 412,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
The thing is........when you move to a new place because you want to be there it SHOULD become home...
yep, but doesnt happen like that. I know idiots at work that lived in NJ or NY for the first 5 years of their life, moved to FL at age 6 and still call it " back home".

Old 09-30-2015, 06:16 AM

17,131 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Ok that sounds interesting, could you name a few areas that might be of interest to me?
Pretty much anything North Lake County should fit the bill... There is a very rural part of Eustis (zip code 32736 -- not 32726) that's pretty nice. This includes Huff Rd., 44C, CR42, Royal Trails...

Pretty much anything in Sumter County aside from Wildwood is also good. Now, Sumter County has a lot of the Old South feel to it, so if that's not your thing, I'd steer clear.

Astatula has some nice properties.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:49 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Pretty much anything North Lake County should fit the bill... There is a very rural part of Eustis (zip code 32736 -- not 32726) that's pretty nice. This includes Huff Rd., 44C, CR42, Royal Trails...

Pretty much anything in Sumter County aside from Wildwood is also good. Now, Sumter County has a lot of the Old South feel to it, so if that's not your thing, I'd steer clear.

Astatula has some nice properties.
Great. Thank you.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:43 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
My favorite are the people who lived the city who moved down here to a suburb and complain that their suburb is nothing like the city they came from.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:39 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
My favorite are the people who lived the city who moved down here to a suburb and complain that their suburb is nothing like the city they came from.
LOL, good one.

I think I will complain that the city is nothing like the 6K population village I grew up in.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:48 AM

311 posts, read 450,501 times
Brooklyn Water Bagels, downtown across from the courthouse.

Now stop complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida