U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 11:41 AM

11 posts, read 40,014 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm considering moving to Spring Hill, do any of you have comments, good or bad, about the place. I am an Englishman with a wife and 2 young kids (one has not quite arrived yet, but should do within the month!)

Many thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 12:20 PM

198 posts, read 650,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craney View Post
Hi all,
I'm considering moving to Spring Hill, do any of you have comments, good or bad, about the place. I am an Englishman with a wife and 2 young kids (one has not quite arrived yet, but should do within the month!)

Many thanks for any advice.
If you will be here before the newest addition, spring hill regional has very nice mommy/baby delivery suites. We had 2 of our kids there and loved it...

My Comments: With all the growth, almost every major store is now somewhere in the spring hill area, although the closet mall is 20 miles away. There still is a vast amount of empty lots and land, but the prices have gone way up. Several new public schools have been built and there are several good private ones as well. There are really only 2 seasons here, hot and warm. We use our air almost 10 months of the year, but so far this winter, it has been a little cooler. Here in spring hill, we have not had a direct hit from a hurricane in many years. In the 04' season, the highest winds we had were under 60mph, but some would argue we(the tampa area) are very overdue for a direct hit.

Insurance costs have skyrocketed, as I used to pay $700 a year, and this year it is almost $2800 . Property taxes have also increased a lot and if you buy a home, make sure you know what you taxes will be the first year since the previous owner may have had an exemption and a saves our homes cap.
Crime is ok, but as one can imagine with more people moving here, crime will go up. We really dont hear much about the really bad stuff; i.e murders, rape, assualt, most of that is closer to the bigger cities, tampa, st pete etc...

Another consideration is all the elderly population in spring hill. I'm not going to lie, there are quite a few of them. But since I commute to work every day out of the county, I dont have to deal with them so it does not bother me.

Traffic - Our traffic is on the increase, and it seems the county and state always are behind in fixing the problem. Sometimes during "rush hour" when everone is commuting home, traffic can be rough, but usually 7 or so, traffic eases quite a bit.
If you have any specfic questions, feel free to pm me.....

Old 11-15-2006, 01:10 PM

1,130 posts, read 155,994 times
Look out for SINK HOLES!!!! They can take your house down!

Old 11-15-2006, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 13,549 times
NatureCoastFL offered a nice reply.

I can only speak for myself when I say that my girlfriend moved to Spring Hill with her mother for school and she loves it. Watch out for deer and cranes! The cranes sound like dinosaurs!

But its very quiet... which I am not used to. (I'm from Fort Lauderdale/Miami), so the sound of silence out there is peaceful. Full view of the clear sky and stars!

If you're from quiet parts of England, you just might like it.

Best of luck to you.

Also, lots of construction because its newly developed.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:13 PM

51 posts, read 203,878 times
Springhill is a great place to live. I have many family and friends there and they are very happy.

There is a mixture of family and elderly....alot of families and couples have moved to Springhill to be closer to their parents/grandparents. I think this makes the area very family oriented!

I'm not going to get on the subject of sinkholes, because people have posted and posted about sinkholes before. All I can say is that I know a lot of families in Springhill and none of them have had problems with sinkholes. I'm not saying they don;t exist, but, they are not as frequent as people think. Some people have had them filled and not had any further problems either...according to people that I have asked. There are also forms that people sign stating that they do not have a sink hole problem, prior to homes being sold.

I would move to Springhill in a minute....as soon as my child graduates, that's exactly where I will probably be moving....I had my youngest in the hospital in Brooksville (it's been closed and a new one built)..they were absolutely wonderful and gave us a steak and candlelight dinner for 2 after the baby was born....kind of like our last meal together before parenthood really hit...lol.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:44 AM

11 posts, read 40,014 times
Thanks for your comments, i've been really impressed during my research and your comments cement my positive views. Will keep you updated on our progress!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:54 AM

198 posts, read 650,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaken007 View Post
NatureCoastFL offered a nice reply.

I can only speak for myself when I say that my girlfriend moved to Spring Hill with her mother for school and she loves it. Watch out for deer and cranes! The cranes sound like dinosaurs!

But its very quiet... which I am not used to. (I'm from Fort Lauderdale/Miami), so the sound of silence out there is peaceful. Full view of the clear sky and stars!

If you're from quiet parts of England, you just might like it.

Best of luck to you.
Also, lots of construction because its newly developed.
Thanks for the kind words.
Here is a pic of a crane that hangs out at the lake behind our house.
And yes, they are very loud!

Old 10-09-2011, 03:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,474 times
Hi Craney, and all.
I know this is an old thread, but i'm just wondering how you got on?
I'm in a similar situation to you, I have a wife and young child and planning on another.
I have also looked into spring hill and from what I have seen so far I like it.

I haven't managed to find out about the good and not so good areas within spring hill though.
Any advice as to where you looked and what you found would be great.

Also are there any good touristy things in the area?
It would be good if I can get family and friends to visit and combine it as a kind of holiday for them.

Any advice gratefully recieved!

Old 10-09-2011, 04:39 AM

20,334 posts, read 16,609,173 times
SpringHill is a vast sprawling complex of mostly affordable single story family homes. has all shopping you could ever need in the outlying areas,3 huge Walmarts along with most other big box chains, and all the restaurant chains.
Most of the areas i've seen look safe and mostly well kept, basically the further you go from Hwy19 the newer the houses.And the lesser the traffic..
Things to do?? ....
if you have a boat and like fishing ya got some of the best flats in the state close by.
Small beach at Pine Island but the parking is usually full.
Has all the social groups and programs that one would expect in an area this size.Great YMCA just south of SpringHill Dr on Mariner.
Lots of shopping,did i mention the 3 Walmarts in the area..
For me i just vacation in SpringHill and home base at Mom and Dads place while there, from there i usually spend time fishing from the pier at Bayport or fishing from one of the bridges in Aripeka, mostly i look forward to visiting friends in St Pete, doing a theme park in Tampa or Orlando. A few days on the beach at Daytona.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 AM

8,536 posts, read 5,300,873 times
Having lived here for several years, I would have to agree with the above posters of late.
Spring Hill and the area around it is a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida