U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2015, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,272,176 times
Reputation: 6010

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Because you cant compare to Orlando to a city like Austin or Seattle its a joke in every aspect of the comparison.
What do you base your opinion on? Ever been to Seattle or Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2015, 10:37 AM
 
422 posts, read 303,456 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What do you base your opinion on? Ever been to Seattle or Austin?
I have and the statement holds 100xs true, have you? Funny NYers think Florida is the center of the universe, was NYC really that awful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 10:43 AM
 
60 posts, read 47,654 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

Fact: Net migration into Naples is the third highest rate in the U.S. over the past five years. Even with the population gains, unemployment has plummeted from a peak of 12.2% in 2010 to a recent 5%. Another Naples perk: the third lowest crime rate in the U.S.

The census and people who actually analyze facts and figures are the source of solid information, not assumptions by people who hate where they live but do nothing to change it.

Good post. I like your last sentence. What source did you pull those Naples statistics from? Sperling's best places stated that Naples population declined during the 2000-2014 period. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I've been to Naples recently and did get the sense that it was on the rise again. However, it's the sort of place for wealthy retirees, which means they economy depends on immigration as opposed to business. It won't be an option for most people as the cost of living is too prohibitive, and there is no business sector other than the service industry, which does not provide wages.

A place like Orlando, on the other hand, has a more diverse economy, and is more poised to cater to more people, especially younger generations. Orlando - You Don't Know the Half of It

The problem is that growth doesn't extend too far out from a metropolitan area, because then the commute time is excessive.

Has the Kissimmee area already maxed out?

Last edited by Yac; 10-09-2015 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,709 posts, read 6,659,843 times
Reputation: 12195
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Because you cant compare to Orlando to a city like Austin or Seattle its a joke in every aspect of the comparison, and its funny you have to say "Orlando Metro" implying the sprawl of 4 counties incorporates the city itself (which people from florida seem to be proud of).



this guy.

Okay, not Metro Orlando, but URBAN Orlando, then, which directly compares to Austin in terms of land area and population at 1.5 million. This is not counting the "sprawl of 4 counties." This is the core area (Downtown, SoDo, Winter Park, Windermere, etc.)

Orlando has a higher GDP than Austin.
Austin has 0 professional sports teams.

So let's see... Higher population within a similarly-sized urban core, higher GDP, a nationally-recognized center in the high-tech industry, 7th largest research park in the nation...
Yet it doesn't compare to Austin? To the point that it's a "joke?"


this guy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 10:53 AM
 
60 posts, read 47,654 times
Reputation: 16
I'm really curious about the Jacksonville area. How has that area grown so much given the fact that it isn't nearly as touristic as Orlando?

Jacksonville must have some pretty strong industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 11:06 AM
 
422 posts, read 303,456 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post


Austin has 0 professional sports teams.
Niether does Las Vegas, what is your point lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,709 posts, read 6,659,843 times
Reputation: 12195
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Niether does Las Vegas, what is your point lol
I directly compared Orlando to Austin, since you said a comparison would be a "joke," and showed how similar they are in terms of stature, and how Orlando surpasses it in a number of areas that define city stature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 11:19 AM
 
422 posts, read 303,456 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I directly compared Orlando to Austin, since you said a comparison would be a "joke," and showed how similar they are in terms of stature, and how Orlando surpasses it in a number of areas that define city stature.
you are comparing sports teams? like I said, a joke...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,709 posts, read 6,659,843 times
Reputation: 12195
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
you are comparing sports teams? like I said, a joke...
I compared much more than sports teams. Do you just pick and chose select portions of paragraphs to form your arguments?

Also, entertainment venues (which include professional sports teams among other things) are a major contributor to city stature and its economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 11:42 AM
 
60 posts, read 47,654 times
Reputation: 16
Please just ignore argumentative posts that don't contribute anything to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top