U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 06:08 PM

18 posts, read 16,126 times

Advertisements

An hour to the beach isn't terrible, IMHO. Kissimmee to Clearwater is 90 minutes. Kissimmee to Cocoa Beach is 60 minutes. I don't mind the drive if the daily living is worth it in Kissimmee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I live in Orlando, and DW is far out enough that it has no direct effect on my everyday life whatsoever.
That said, Orlando has become a bit more fast-paced than pretty much anywhere in FL except for Miami, so if you're looking to slow down, I'd look to Clearwater area.

Of course, a lot of this will depend on what kind of job you're looking for.
I'm looking for a job in health care serving an 'underserved' population (HPSA). Typically that means low-income, but it can also be simply lack of health care providers. Sometimes this is tribal, sometimes Correctional Facility, sometimes elderly/VA. . .

I've spent years living where I had to work. Now I want to work where I choose to live. I'm at a point in my life when I can do that.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:26 PM

9,437 posts, read 6,465,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitum3d View Post
I'm looking for a job in health care serving an 'underserved' population (HPSA). Typically that means low-income, but it can also be simply lack of health care providers. Sometimes this is tribal, sometimes Correctional Facility, sometimes elderly/VA. . .

I've spent years living where I had to work. Now I want to work where I choose to live. I'm at a point in my life when I can do that.
And there are plenty of jobs all over for that.
Cocoa Beach, Clearwater and Orlando are three wildly different species, so it all depends on exactly what you want, and what you're willing to deal with. If you're looking for a slower-pace, I'd steer clear of Orlando and look to Cocoa Beach of Clearwater.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:00 AM

3,652 posts, read 3,065,023 times
Orlando, Clearwater or Cocoa Beach? Two of these are big cities with traffic headaches, crime and lots of man-made things to do and the other is a small town of less than 12,000 with a few bars, a beach the full length of the town and a speed limit of 35 or less. Might as well have asked London, Paris or Sopchoppy.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Orlando, Clearwater or Cocoa Beach? Two of these are big cities with traffic headaches, crime and lots of man-made things to do and the other is a small town of less than 12,000 with a few bars, a beach the full length of the town and a speed limit of 35 or less. Might as well have asked London, Paris or Sopchoppy.
These are just the three I'm currently considering. I'm open to suggestions on others as well. Not sure where Sopchoppy is, but I'm assuming it's the metaphorical equivalent of Cocoa Beach?

Old 10-08-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitum3d View Post
These are just the three I'm currently considering. I'm open to suggestions on others as well. Not sure where Sopchoppy is, but I'm assuming it's the metaphorical equivalent of Cocoa Beach?
Sopchoppy is a little crossroads town in the Big Bend area and, yes, it's the metaphorical equivalent of Cocoa Beach. Was just commenting on the unusual comparison of two non-beachside big cities to a tiny little beach town. All three have their positives. If you're a beach person, the choice is obvious.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:33 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,445,327 times
I would have to strongly disagree that the South is terribly racist. It's terribly in your face when it comes to this is how I see it, and that is NOT something that is the norm. You're obviously not from that culture, so you have no idea what is going on in this regard. And no, the Rebel flag does NOT have anything to do w/ racism, so don't bring that up.

Yes, some small towns are still stuck in the bad old days of the past, but by and large the South is no more racist than any other area. It's just that, as I said, the jerks are more outspoken there than in other places. Small towns are the same everywhere...full of small minded people who don't like change. I actually found the racism in New England and Maine to be much more insidious. People would be one way face to face, and another way behind people's backs. In the South, what you see is what you get. People speak their minds. Many, many black friends told me that they would never move back to Boston, Portland, and other "liberal" areas due to racism. It's just presented differently up North. In the South, people will either love you or hate you, and either way you'll definitely know it! Unless they're churchy, and in that case, please refer to the New England point I mentioned. What you are presented with, often w/ pretty little smiles, is not necessarily what is going down.

I wouldn't move to any of the areas you mentioned. We live near Cocoa, and living there would be boredom city for us. You would really have to love the water and live a life centered on that to be comfortable there. Orlando has not much to recommend it in my mind, and Clearwater would be the last place on my list for a lot of reasons.

I just came back from checking out St. Pete and Tampa and fell in love w/ St. Pete. We just sold our place and will be moving there in one month. But it's a liberal city, for Florida, so I'm not sure that would suit you.

Last edited by smarino; 10-08-2015 at 05:45 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
And no, the Rebel flag does NOT have anything to do w/ racism, so don't bring that up.
Maybe in your world. If told your breath stinks would you continue to defend its fragrance or maybe question your perception of it?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:20 AM

34,215 posts, read 41,182,325 times
Clearwater? Busy place.
http://www.sptimes.com/News/022601/p...NP-traffic.jpg

http://ttt-cgweb.newscyclecloud.com/...-140329995.jpg

Old 10-09-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I would have to strongly disagree that the South is terribly racist. It's terribly in your face when it come to this is how I see it, and that is NOT something that is the norm. You're obviously not from that culture, so you have no idea what is going on in this regard. And no, the Rebel flag does NOT have anything to do w/ racism, so don't bring that up.

Yes, some small towns are still stuck in the bad old days of the past, but by and large the South is no more racist than any other area. It's just that, as I said, the jerks are more outspoken there than in other places. Small towns are the same everywhere...full of small minded people who don't like change. I actually found the racism in New England and Maine to be much more insidious. People would be one way face to face, and another way behind people's backs. In the South, what you see is what you get. People speak their minds. Many, many black friends told me that they would never move back to Boston, Portland, and other "liberal" areas due to racism. It's just presented differently up North. In the South, people will either love you or hate you, and either way you'll definitely know it! Unless they're churchy, and in that case, please refer to the New England point I mentioned. What you are presented with, often w/ pretty little smiles, is not necessarily what is going down.

I wouldn't move to any of the areas you mentioned. We live near Cocoa, and living there would be boredom city for us. You would really have to love the water and live a life centered on that to be comfortable there. Orlando has not much to recommend it in my mind, and Clearwater would be the last place on my list for a lot of reasons.

I just came back from checking out St. Pete and Tampa and fell in love w/ St. Pete. We just sold our place and will be moving there in one month. But it's a liberal city, for Florida, so I'm not sure that would suit you.

I'm not exactly sure what "from that culture" means, but let's please try to stay on topic. There are other threads to discuss racism and the flag.

I agree that Tampa/St.Pete is wonderful. I love that area as well (there isn't an area of Florida I don't love though). Tampa just seemed too big/overpopulated to me.

The reasons I chose these three are;
Clearwater-
pro- I love Gulf Coast beaches
con- seems large and expensive

Orlando-
pro- everyone says there is lots to do
con- seems large and expensive

Cocoa Beach-
pro- seems quieter and more relaxed
pro- I love the beach there
con- not much other than the beach

I can think of great reasons to choose any of the three, and I can only think of one or two reasons NOT to choose any of the three.

Like I said, I love many places in Florida;
Port St. Joe- great bay, very small town, low crime
Kissimmee- feels like rural Midwest to me, farmland, convenient to Orlando
the Keys- hey, they're the Keys, 'nuff said

So, yes, I'm open to all suggestions and I thank you all for the comments.

I prefer to avoid the panhandle though, and Jacksonville. Nothing against either, but I think I want to be further south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or