U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 11:01 AM

18 posts, read 16,332 times

Advertisements

Hi.

As the title suggests, I'm considering multiple places to live and I'm hoping to hear from long term residents over the age of 40, but I'm not going to turn away any advice regardless of age, race, gender, or length of residency.

I'm looking for a job in health care serving an 'underserved' population (HPSA).

I've lived in the Midwest, PacificNW, Sonoma California, and deep south.

The Midwest had horrible winters, the PNW has too many gray skies (gloomy/chilly), California is ridiculously expensive, and the deep south has terrible racism even 150 years after the civil war.

I love the year long climate in Florida and always have. I've visited many times over the last 50 years, and in different times of the year. I know what the heat of summer feels like there, and I've spent Christmas through New Years in Orlando.

My biggest concerns are probably the same as any retiree: Housing costs (much more affordable than the West Coast), finding quality medical care, and crime. I don't really care for night life but I love local festivals and having a zoo or museum for when the grandkids visit would be nice.

I'm not terribly concerned about hurricanes, because the Midwest had tornados, the west coast had wildfires and earthquakes and droughts, and the deep south had tornados and hurricanes and floods. Natural disasters happen everywhere so why worry.

I'd like to have a major university nearby for a PhD program, but I don't particularly care for the partying and crime that comes with that. I like the peace of a small town but the amenities of a big city.

Do you see my dilemma? :-)

So, for now, I'm considering Cocoa Beach, Clearwater/Tampa/St.Petes, or possibly even Orlando since it's centralized. If prefer a coast though.

What advice can you give me? Other areas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 11:15 AM

9,217 posts, read 8,306,163 times
My advice to you would be to find the job first and that will dictate where you live.

There is a lot of competition for professional jobs that pay well.

Also, set up a Florida PO Box. Many employers will not bother with an out of town address unless you have a particular skill that a state of 20+ million people cannot offer.

If you got a job offer from all three areas, without a doubt I'd go to Clearwater.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:21 AM

Wow thanks for the quick reply!

The job in my case isn't as important as the living environment.

Why would you choose Clearwater over anywhere else in the state? Thanks!

Old 10-04-2015, 12:24 PM

17,928 posts, read 17,840,782 times
I love Orlando personally.

Check out these areas in/around Orlando...

Winter Park
Dr. Phillips
Windermere

If you want a coastal city, I would choose Boca Raton. It has gorgeous beaches and water. It's very safe and beautiful.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:55 PM

9,217 posts, read 8,306,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitum3d View Post
Wow thanks for the quick reply!

The job in my case isn't as important as the living environment.

Why would you choose Clearwater over anywhere else in the state? Thanks!
Clearwater has got amazing beaches.

How old are you? A professional thirtysomething crowd would be optimal for St. Pete.

I'm not qualified to make judgements about Orlando because I don't know anything about it other than the mouse, amusement parks, a bowl games.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:59 PM

We're married, 50ish, grown kids, not retired but no longer yuppies. Looking to slow down just a little and start enjoying life.

That's why Clearwater is on the radar. I love the white sands and great water.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:38 PM

We're married, 50ish, grown kids, not retired but no longer yuppies. Looking to slow down just a little and start enjoying life.

That's why Clearwater is on the radar. I lovve the white sands and great water.

But there's a lot more to Florida than just the beaches. Cocoa Beach is an option because it's a more 'mature' population. I'm assuming with a median age of 55, the people will be more into Rick Springfield than Taylor Swift.

Are there daytime activities, like Farmers Markets or local festivals, or community events in these or other places?

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'm not qualified to make judgements about Orlando because I don't know anything about it other than the mouse, amusement parks, a bowl games.
No worries. I'm not particularly interested in DW, and I'm not much of a sports fan so bowl games don't matter much. I'm trying to avoid Orlando because I don't want relatives visiting just for a free bed and Disney.

I do like Kissimmee/St.Cloud. Any thoughts?

Old 10-05-2015, 05:50 PM

15,379 posts, read 12,138,366 times
Just sayin...Orlando and the area, is an hr from the beach.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:08 PM

9,642 posts, read 6,621,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitum3d View Post
No worries. I'm not particularly interested in DW, and I'm not much of a sports fan so bowl games don't matter much. I'm trying to avoid Orlando because I don't want relatives visiting just for a free bed and Disney.

I do like Kissimmee/St.Cloud. Any thoughts?
I live in Orlando, and DW is far out enough that it has no direct effect on my everyday life whatsoever.
That said, Orlando has become a bit more fast-paced than pretty much anywhere in FL except for Miami, so if you're looking to slow down, I'd look to Clearwater area.

Of course, a lot of this will depend on what kind of job you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or