U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:17 PM

9 posts, read 9,732 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have toyed around with the idea of moving south for probably a year and a half. We've considered Arizona, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida. One of the things that draws us towards Florida is the weather and beaches. My wife would absolutely love to live near the ocean.

You read up on Florida and all you seem to see if that the crime is so bad. I feel that this is over stated and like anywhere else there are good areas and bad. I've been to Florida several times and never really felt unsafe. My experience has been St. Petersburg once when I was in elementary school and Cocoa Beach area several times over the past ten years. Plus a little bit of time spent in Orlando.

My mom moved down to cocoa beach a few years back and would love for me to move close to her but it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of job opportunity for me in Brevard County. I do like the area though.

My wife is a nurse and I am a business professional (currently in procurement/supply chain/buying). We are in our late 20's, no kids with no plans to have any, 2 dogs, and love the outdoors.

I'm looking for suggestions from people who know the state better than I do for ideas on cities to look at if I were considering to move down there. My ideal area would be somewhere that is safe/low crime with decent job opportunity, that is relatively close to water (Atlantic or Gulf is fine). I would be accepting a job offer before I moved so I'm just looking for ideas on places to look into.

I should also mention that we currently live in rural Wisconsin and I am partial to smaller areas. Obviously the bigger the city the more jobs there are and I did spend most of my life in the suburbs of Minneapolis, MN so it doesn't have to be a rural area. I'm just not the type of person who will live in a high rise apartment in a big bustling city.

I also love to hunt and fish and spend time outside so being somewhat close to somewhere where I can do that is important to me.

I realize that there is no place that is going have everything exactly the way I want but is there anywhere that is closer to my wish list than others? Does such a place exist in Florida?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 12:28 PM

21,080 posts, read 30,119,082 times
I was going to suggest Brevard County but since you say jobs could be an issue for you would instead suggest the Jacksonville area which hits your criteria nicely, with both of your job fields well represented in the area and more rural environments in decent proximity to potential work sites. Check out the north end in Nassau County in/around Yulee and Fernandina Beach which is the easiest of the commutes (versus inbound south or west to east commutes) and offers nice (and safe) areas with lower density housing not far from the beaches.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 PM

9 posts, read 9,732 times
Thanks for the quick reply. Very helpful. I'll check that out. Can you tell me anything more about the Jacksonville area? That's an area of Florida I've never been to.

I'm not ruling out Brevard County because like I mentioned I've visited several times and like the area not to mention my mom lives there so I could be close to her (plus my wife and I could crash at her place until we sold our house in Wisconsin). I tried looking for jobs there about a year ago and at the time I didn't have much luck.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:12 PM

21,080 posts, read 30,119,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman28 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Very helpful. I'll check that out. Can you tell me anything more about the Jacksonville area? That's an area of Florida I've never been to.

I'm not ruling out Brevard County because like I mentioned I've visited several times and like the area not to mention my mom lives there so I could be close to her (plus my wife and I could crash at her place until we sold our house in Wisconsin). I tried looking for jobs there about a year ago and at the time I didn't have much luck.
Jacksonville is a much bigger city and has more going on than Brevard County. In terms of your outdoor interests (hunting, fishing, etc) I think by far it's the better option of most anywhere else in Florida. It's economy unlike most of the rest of the state is more diverse beyond the service sector and has a very sizable job market for nurses and logistics as hubs for both industries. I find it friendlier and a bit more Southern which is a nice change from most of Florida too. Also worth noting it's an easy drive to other states and the mountains in GA/NC as getting out of FL from some areas can take half a day or more.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:21 PM

17,381 posts, read 10,457,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman28 View Post
My wife and I have toyed around with the idea of moving south for probably a year and a half. We've considered Arizona, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida. One of the things that draws us towards Florida is the weather and beaches. My wife would absolutely love to live near the ocean.

You read up on Florida and all you seem to see if that the crime is so bad. I feel that this is over stated and like anywhere else there are good areas and bad. I've been to Florida several times and never really felt unsafe. My experience has been St. Petersburg once when I was in elementary school and Cocoa Beach area several times over the past ten years. Plus a little bit of time spent in Orlando.

My mom moved down to cocoa beach a few years back and would love for me to move close to her but it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of job opportunity for me in Brevard County. I do like the area though.

My wife is a nurse and I am a business professional (currently in procurement/supply chain/buying). We are in our late 20's, no kids with no plans to have any, 2 dogs, and love the outdoors.

I'm looking for suggestions from people who know the state better than I do for ideas on cities to look at if I were considering to move down there. My ideal area would be somewhere that is safe/low crime with decent job opportunity, that is relatively close to water (Atlantic or Gulf is fine). I would be accepting a job offer before I moved so I'm just looking for ideas on places to look into.

I should also mention that we currently live in rural Wisconsin and I am partial to smaller areas. Obviously the bigger the city the more jobs there are and I did spend most of my life in the suburbs of Minneapolis, MN so it doesn't have to be a rural area. I'm just not the type of person who will live in a high rise apartment in a big bustling city.

I also love to hunt and fish and spend time outside so being somewhat close to somewhere where I can do that is important to me.

I realize that there is no place that is going have everything exactly the way I want but is there anywhere that is closer to my wish list than others? Does such a place exist in Florida?

Thanks!
There are small communities all around Jacksonville that can give the small area feel and yet be easy to drive into Jacksonville from.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:49 PM

75 posts, read 70,520 times
You and your wife are what's wrong with Florida.

You state in the very first line of your initial post that you guys plan to move to Florida or another Sun Belt state for a year-and-a-half. You also state in your post that you've spent most of your life in Minnesota and Wisconsin, two states that are very far away from Florida, distance-wise.

Why uproot yourselves and your perceivably stable, comfortable lives to move all the way across the country to Florida or another Sun Belt state for only a year-and-a-half?

It's very expensive to move from Wisconsin to Florida, especially if you're financing your relocation yourself without the assistance of a relocation stipend. It will also be equally as expensive to move back to Wisconsin or Minnesota again, especially since you just shelled out thousands and thousands of dollars to move down to Florida less than two years earlier.

Furthermore, you're married and in your late 20's. Most people at your stage of life are searching for a place that they can call home for the rest of their lives, if they haven't already found it. Most major relocations among those in a similar life stage are for career advancement purposes, not to move someplace warmer or near the beach.

If that's what you and/or your wife have wanted all along, you probably should have done it sooner (i.e., college or shortly thereafter). Since you and your wife are professionals and married young, it's safe to say something like that wouldn't have been outside of your financial means.

But dude, in all seriousness - Florida is a very transient and shallow-rooted state with few multi-generational roots and overall little connection among people due in large part to transplants or potential transplants with your general mindset. I'm not blaming you for Florida's issues, but I can assure you that many of Florida's issues are derived from that mindset and the general lack of cohesion within communities it fosters.

Unfortunately, Florida is a state that people treat like a rental car - since Florida isn't really "yours," so to speak, a certain uncommitted emotional aloofness is very common among residents there. Of course, this isn't true for everyone, but it's certainly the prevailing trend.

Lots of people of all different ages from around the country, in particular the Northeastern and Midwestern regions, want to experience life in Florida (i.e., year-round warm weather, beaches, theme parks, etc.) for a few years and then move to back to where they came from or to someplace new entirely.

For people in your age group, moving to Florida for a few years usually implies lots of partying. Once these kids have gotten all that partying "out of their systems," they tend to move back home to the Northeast or Midwest, or to someplace with more and better career advancement opportunities, which leads me to my next point.

For most professionals who aren't in the healthcare sector such as yourself, Florida can be a very unforgiving place. It seems like you've already gotten a taste of this in your career search a year-and-a-half ago. For someone in your industry (i.e., procurement/SCM/buying), moving to Florida would be akin to shooting yourself in the foot from a career standpoint.

Even if your secure decent employment, you better hope you don't lose that job. Either way, you're probably going to be setting your career back by moving to Florida.

In addition to a limited corporate presence, salaries in Florida are quite low and non-competitive relative to most other areas of the country and the state's overall above-average COL. Something else to keep in mind, for sure.

Places like North Carolina and Texas would be much better alternatives than Florida. For the most part, the major cities in those states have more robust, diversified economies; stronger, more vibrant communities; and fewer transient, low-class people.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:04 AM

22,732 posts, read 19,170,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont_Boy View Post
You and your wife are what's wrong with Florida.

You state in the very first line of your initial post that you guys plan to move to Florida or another Sun Belt state for a year-and-a-half. You also state in your post that you've spent most of your life in Minnesota and Wisconsin, two states that are very far away from Florida, distance-wise.

Why uproot yourselves and your perceivably stable, comfortable lives to move all the way across the country to Florida or another Sun Belt state for only a year-and-a-half?

It's very expensive to move from Wisconsin to Florida, especially if you're financing your relocation yourself without the assistance of a relocation stipend. It will also be equally as expensive to move back to Wisconsin or Minnesota again, especially since you just shelled out thousands and thousands of dollars to move down to Florida less than two years earlier.

Furthermore, you're married and in your late 20's. Most people at your stage of life are searching for a place that they can call home for the rest of their lives, if they haven't already found it. Most major relocations among those in a similar life stage are for career advancement purposes, not to move someplace warmer or near the beach.

If that's what you and/or your wife have wanted all along, you probably should have done it sooner (i.e., college or shortly thereafter). Since you and your wife are professionals and married young, it's safe to say something like that wouldn't have been outside of your financial means.

But dude, in all seriousness - Florida is a very transient and shallow-rooted state with few multi-generational roots and overall little connection among people due in large part to transplants or potential transplants with your general mindset. I'm not blaming you for Florida's issues, but I can assure you that many of Florida's issues are derived from that mindset and the general lack of cohesion within communities it fosters.

Unfortunately, Florida is a state that people treat like a rental car - since Florida isn't really "yours," so to speak, a certain uncommitted emotional aloofness is very common among residents there. Of course, this isn't true for everyone, but it's certainly the prevailing trend.

Lots of people of all different ages from around the country, in particular the Northeastern and Midwestern regions, want to experience life in Florida (i.e., year-round warm weather, beaches, theme parks, etc.) for a few years and then move to back to where they came from or to someplace new entirely.

For people in your age group, moving to Florida for a few years usually implies lots of partying. Once these kids have gotten all that partying "out of their systems," they tend to move back home to the Northeast or Midwest, or to someplace with more and better career advancement opportunities, which leads me to my next point.

For most professionals who aren't in the healthcare sector such as yourself, Florida can be a very unforgiving place. It seems like you've already gotten a taste of this in your career search a year-and-a-half ago. For someone in your industry (i.e., procurement/SCM/buying), moving to Florida would be akin to shooting yourself in the foot from a career standpoint.

Even if your secure decent employment, you better hope you don't lose that job. Either way, you're probably going to be setting your career back by moving to Florida.

In addition to a limited corporate presence, salaries in Florida are quite low and non-competitive relative to most other areas of the country and the state's overall above-average COL. Something else to keep in mind, for sure.

Places like North Carolina and Texas would be much better alternatives than Florida. For the most part, the major cities in those states have more robust, diversified economies; stronger, more vibrant communities; and fewer transient, low-class people.
I think the OP meant they have been LOOKING for a place for a year and a half. Correct me if I am wrong, OP.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:41 AM

9,431 posts, read 6,456,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I think the OP meant they have been LOOKING for a place for a year and a half. Correct me if I am wrong, OP.
That was my understanding as well.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:01 PM

8 posts, read 16,500 times
I, too, think the OP meant they've been looking for a year and a half, not that they are only going to live in Florida for a year and a half. But, even if the OP only intends to live in FL for 1 1/2 years, I think Belmont Boy owes the OP an apology!

Old 10-16-2015, 11:55 AM

15,091 posts, read 30,957,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDaneKisses View Post
I, too, think the OP meant they've been looking for a year and a half, not that they are only going to live in Florida for a year and a half. But, even if the OP only intends to live in FL for 1 1/2 years, I think Belmont Boy owes the OP an apology!
Yes, he owes him an apology not just for the misunderstanding but the JUDGMENTAL DIATRIBE!

That said, I agree with the suggestions about smaller towns outside of Jax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or