U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 05:05 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,053,471 times

Advertisements

What is the impact of melting glaciers and other land ice? I can't figure out if you guys are denying that sea levels are rising or just arguing for the sake of argument. Hard to figure out with all the topic shifts; global warming, sea ice, Miami taxes, etc.

A side note: when ice is melting in one hemisphere, water is freezing in the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 05:30 AM

5,113 posts, read 4,926,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
What is the impact of melting glaciers and other land ice? I can't figure out if you guys are denying that sea levels are rising or just arguing for the sake of argument. Hard to figure out with all the topic shifts; global warming, sea ice, Miami taxes, etc.

A side note: when ice is melting in one hemisphere, water is freezing in the other.
With many decades of living near the coastline and being a boater I have never seen a rise or fall in ocean levels. If you want to call that a denier than that's your opinion but my opinion is that sea levels have not changed and probably won't change in my lifetime.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:07 AM

6,971 posts, read 2,562,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Much ice and snow melt every spring in the northern parts of the globe, notice any annual water rise in the oceans every spring.?
I was not commenting on an entire ecosystem issue. I was merely commenting on one poster's citing of a middle school experiment. Their misinterpretation of the archimedes principle is an example of bad science.

Citing snows melting in the spring up north is just one piece in the whole puzzle. The southern hemisphere has opposite seasons. Florida gets most of it's rains in the summer. Cost Rica in the spring.etc.etc.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:49 AM

Considering that the total measured sea level rise since 1950 is less than 5 inches and the variation in the height of high tide where I live is about 16 inches just this month, I think casual human observations are sure to be misleading.

First high tide here yesterday was 46.6 inches
First high tide next Tuesday is 62.4 inches

To put that in perspective, sea level observed at exact high tide here will have risen 15.8 inches in just six days. Total measured sea level rise since 1950 is about 5".

Old 10-22-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Considering that the total measured sea level rise since 1950 is less than 5 inches and the variation in the height of high tide where I live is about 16 inches just this month, I think casual human observations are sure to be misleading.

First high tide here yesterday was 46.6 inches
First high tide next Tuesday is 62.4 inches

To put that in perspective, sea level observed at exact high tide here will have risen 15.8 inches in just six days. Total measured sea level rise since 1950 is about 5".
It does not matter what measurements you quote. If the oceans were rising then I would know because the water level at the boat ramp would change and the water level against sea walls would change. Taking normal tides into consideration, the water levels have not changed enough to be obvious in my lifetime. The water levels are the same as they always were. No change!

The water rising alarmists are same people behind the global warming alarmists. And what it their goal? More taxes and higher energy prices.

The snake-oil salesmen are at it again.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
It does not matter what measurements you quote. If the oceans were rising then I would know because the water level at the boat ramp would change and the water level against sea walls would change. Taking normal tides into consideration, the water levels have not changed enough to be obvious in my lifetime. The water levels are the same as they always were. No change!

The water rising alarmists are same people behind the global warming alarmists. And what it their goal? More taxes and higher energy prices.

The snake-oil salesmen are at it again.
Which is it; "not enough to be obvious in your lifetime" or "no change"? No matter how observant you are, your casual observation does not trump actual measurements. There is a conspiracy but it not what you think. The snake oil being sold is denial and the parties funding it have been very successful at hoodwinking you and others into taking up their agenda.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Which is it; "not enough to be obvious in your lifetime" or "no change"? No matter how observant you are, your casual observation does not trump actual measurements. There is a conspiracy but it not what you think. The snake oil being sold is denial and the parties funding it have been very successful at hoodwinking you and others into taking up their agenda.
Trying to parse my words won't help your argument. If I don't see any changes in ocean levels at the boat docks in 40 years then there is no change. If you know anything about boating you would know boaters are very observant and concerned with ocean tides because it's makes a significant difference when we launch, recover and the depth when boating in normally shallow waters. Boaters would be the first to detect a change in water levels.

Florida has a lot of boaters and I have never heard one boater, from any state, say the water level has changed from normal tides ... ever!

Old 10-22-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Trying to parse my words won't help your argument. If I don't see any changes in ocean levels at the boat docks in 40 years then there is no change. If you know anything about boating you would know boaters are very observant and concerned with ocean tides because it's makes a significant difference when we launch, recover and the depth when boating in normally shallow waters. Boaters would be the first to detect a change in water levels.

Florida has a lot of boaters and I have never heard one boater, from any state, say the water level has changed from normal tides ... ever!
I guess if you never caught a lionfish they aren't on this side of the globe either.

I'm a lifelong boater, fisherman, sailor, surfer, diver, waterman. The ocean is a part of my life every day. If anecdotal observations mattered, I'd be the guy to ask. They don't. My observations about the mean global sea level can never be more relevant than actual measurements made by hundreds of people in hundreds of locations over decades. The global warming denial script was written by people with a very large money-based agenda hoping people like you would join in. You are being used.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I guess if you never caught a lionfish they aren't on this side of the globe either.

I'm a lifelong boater, fisherman, sailor, surfer, diver, waterman. The ocean is a part of my life every day. If anecdotal observations mattered, I'd be the guy to ask. They don't. My observations about the mean global sea level can never be more relevant than actual measurements made by hundreds of people in hundreds of locations over decades. The global warming denial script was written by people with a very large money-based agenda hoping people like you would join in. You are being used.
Hey, you can be a global warming alarmist all you want ... you can be convinced the ocean is rising and will flood your property if you want ... all based on what you are told or read. That's your right to hold an opinion. But it's not your right to tell someone else that they can't hold an opinion that you don't agree with.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Hey, you can be a global warming alarmist all you want ... you can be convinced the ocean is rising and will flood your property if you want ... all based on what you are told or read. That's your right to hold an opinion. But it's not your right to tell someone else that they can't hold an opinion that you don't agree with.
That's exactly what you are doing. Alarmist might be overstating my stance. I believe sea levels are rising (very slowly) but won't flood my property in my lifetime. I'm basing that opinion on actual measurements not boat ramp observations. Also, not making any claims on the causes. I strongly defend your right to have any opinion you want. See you on the water. Peace out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or