U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 06:00 AM

21,132 posts, read 30,232,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would suggest if leaning toward Tampa to check out areas like Palm Harbor, Oldsmar, East Lake, Countryside (NE Clearwater) and Westchase (NW Tampa) which are convenient to much of Tampa in terms of a commute and very family-friendly. In the Orlando area check out the NE suburbs of Lake Mary/Sanford, Oviedo and Winter Springs (east side around Tuscawilla).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPJP View Post
My number one priority is definitely schools. Coming from CT, where education is really the only positive about the state, I want to make sure that when my daughter is ready to go to school, she be in an A-rated school. I definitely won't budge on that. If i have to live in a shack, just to be able to afford private schooling, then that's a sacrifice that I will have to make. Finding an A-rated public school district would be preferred.
All of the areas mentioned have been consistently served by "A" rated schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 09:21 AM

163 posts, read 107,243 times
Before you move.....If you are paying 18K in taxes you probably live in a nice neighborhood that you worked hard for......Florida has sewage charges and very very high water charges....car insurance is more...food is a lot more....HOA monthly fees and HOA yearly fees or special assessments can hit you too........sanitation pickup is normally handled by HOA if you have one.....landscapers charge about 75 month, but it is year round plus two tree trims so add 200 each for that....CDD fees on new homes...homeowners insurance isn't just higher near the cost, flood zones can be anywhere....taxes I found are about 40 percent less here for the same type of neighborhood..sales tax is lower, but not enough to make a substantial savings...

Look at the distance from the school to your home....Florida has fewer colleges and they are further apart. You also pay out of state rates based on when you get a driver's license. Electric rates are lower, but your AC is going to be used a lot more, so you will pay more. Mechanics, restaurants and retail charge the same as CT. Parks charge $2 to park and some highways charge tolls just to use like NJ Turnpike model, though lower rates. Title transfer tax on your cars is high. Cable and phone slightly more.

No oil bill here. No state sales tax. No motorcycle helmet law. No vehicle inspection fee. No snow. Roads have less potholes, a lot less. Clothing costs because of changing seasons lower. More bang for the buck in housing.

People that moved here 20 years ago seem to say how cheap it is and are very defensive about Florida being paradise and perfect...people that moved here recently seem to say how expensive it is. It seems when you add everything in, it winds up the same cost of living as up North. Just an observation. Good luck and enjoy!!!

Old 10-23-2015, 01:04 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,217,039 times
FL has way more colleges and universites than CT.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:06 PM

29 posts, read 18,450 times
Jealous, I have to do 4 more years in this dump before I head to Florida! I think the RI, Ct, Mass area is the armpit of the nation. Taxes are through the roof, gun control is asinine, and the state always wants more money. You'll do fine in Florida, we go there whenever we can and can't wait to retire there. I do prefer the Gulf coast and Tampa area. My brother loves Sarasota where he lives. Best of luck

Old 12-03-2015, 08:15 AM

163 posts, read 107,243 times
Default Think first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaduka1 View Post
Jealous, I have to do 4 more years in this dump before I head to Florida! I think the RI, Ct, Mass area is the armpit of the nation. Taxes are through the roof, gun control is asinine, and the state always wants more money. You'll do fine in Florida, we go there whenever we can and can't wait to retire there. I do prefer the Gulf coast and Tampa area. My brother loves Sarasota where he lives. Best of luck
Do yourself a favor and keep your home in the armpit. Rent down here for a year. Once you live here you might have a different opinion.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:22 AM

6,074 posts, read 3,388,362 times
As someone who moved a year ago Long Island, and someone who moved to a high-cost area of Florida (Naples) I can say that the COL is the same or less, with a higher quality of life for me and my family. My experiences are totally different than @retired11's but I respect that everyone might have a different view. All I know is that once I left NY my costs went down and the money in each paycheck went up.

However, this is all subjective. A $75K family income isn't very high by today's standards which makes me curious - are you taking a cut in pay to move to FL? Hard to imagine a family surviving in CT on that kind of salary. On Long Island the income needed for a family of 4 to make ends meet is nearing $100K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or